• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,419 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 07:23 AM

I would like to know why the league can change this rule or the "don't take your helmet off" rule on the fly, but they cannot change the jersey tuck rule?

BTW I love Hybrid icing, saw it last year in college hockey, much safer approach, yet you still have a "race to the puck" so to speak!

"The more I know about people - the better I like my dog." - Mark Twain

"A wise man once told me, ‘Don’t argue with fools. Cause people from a distance can’t tell who is who'." Jay Z, Takeover

"When I was looking for a captain, I wanted a guy with the Red Wings crest tattooed on his chest," said former Detroit coach Jacques Demers, who named Yzerman captain in 1986. "Steve Yzerman was that guy."

“Told him if he wasn't ultra-competitive he couldn't come here. If he didn't bring it every day he couldn't come here, because he was going to hate it if he didn't, dislike the coach and dislike playing here.
“It's real straightforward. If you don't do it right, you're not happy here." Babcock

#22 derblaueClaus

derblaueClaus

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 836 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 07:42 AM

The only issue I have is shouldn't have been announced prior to preseason so they could have players could have gotten used to the change, I've only seen highlights of the games so if this was done then please ignore.

They did use the rule in the preseason, so no problem there. 

Officials are more of a concern but admittedly that was also the case with the old rule. In fact I see no valid point why this rule shouldn't be introduced. It makes the game safer while maintaining its style. Whish it would be so easy with the hitting-rules.

Edited by derblaueClaus, 01 October 2013 - 07:43 AM.

"I'd have my **** out if I scored four goals. Id have my **** out, stroking it." - "Jumbo" Joe Thornton

Monsterblue.jpg

Thanks MabusIncarnate

#23 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,018 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 09:03 AM

The only issue I have is shouldn't have been announced prior to preseason so they could have players could have gotten used to the change, I've only seen highlights of the games so if this was done then please ignore.

They tested it during preseason and the NHLPA voted whether to enact it for the regular season.  NHLPA voted to approve it, that's what this thread is about.

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

MONEY ON THE BOARD: $10/Kronwalling (1), $1/goal by: Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Sheahan, disney.com (1), Andersson, Dekeyser, Pulkinnen, Ouellet, or Sproul.  2X MULTIPLIER: disney.com.  CONSOLATION PRIZE: $5/goal by: Datsyuk (3), $3/goal by: Z (1). MOTB TOTAL: $30

#24 StormJH1

StormJH1

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 11:54 AM

As is so often the case, the new rule will not be the problem. The problem will be having competent on-ice officials making the call correctly.

Yes, and not only that, any time the offensive player is trailing a race and playing at home, there's going to be a rain of boos from home crowds (well, if they even learn the rule) when the play blows dead.  What if it's like Mason Raymond trailing the play and Doug Murray is the defender with position?  How far away does Raymond have to be before you can be SURE that he wouldn't catch up and pass Murray?

I don't think there will be many ACTUAL problems or controversies caused by this type of rule.  Probably not even as bad as the stupid 2-minute minor for shooting the puck out of play with no pressure whatsoever on you.  But why does the league allow discretion on some things (hybrid icing, intent to blow, etc.), but not on a play where the puck hops up on edge and you're required to call a delay of game because of black letter law?

International/college icing is far safer than even hybrid icing and does nothing to harm the game.  It's also leaves virtually no room for interpretive error.

#25 kugz

kugz

Prospect

• 47 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 01:52 PM

I am trying to understand how exactly this works

If the race is close and the offensive team may beat the other player to the puck the play stays alive (correct?)

As far as I see it, this is the scenario where the injuries would happen most, not when the defending team is easily getting to the puck first...

I say either keep it touch icing or go straight to no touch icing...

#26 Naps137

Naps137

Dekes of a Datsyukian Nature

• 19 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 03:04 PM

I like the idea of having less injuries "potentially".  However, as stated above by others, my main concern is the "discretion of the referee" part.  I think inevitably there will be mistakes made that will cost teams games or at the very least goals.

I do think this is a step in the right direction.  Hockey is often a rough game and I have no problem with that...I just don't care to see people getting hurt over an icing call.

ftdd.png

"I only want Detroit. I want to start and finish with one team. This team. Detroit." -Pavel Datsyuk

#27 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 03:09 PM

If the race is close and the offensive team may beat the other player to the puck the play stays alive (correct?)

As far as I see it, this is the scenario where the injuries would happen most, not when the defending team is easily getting to the puck first...

Kinda. If a defender and an opponent are neck and neck it is supposed to be called as icing, the only way it's not icing is if the opposition has a step ahead of the defender

#28 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,419 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 03:15 PM

This works great in the college ranks by the way. 

"The more I know about people - the better I like my dog." - Mark Twain

"A wise man once told me, ‘Don’t argue with fools. Cause people from a distance can’t tell who is who'." Jay Z, Takeover

"When I was looking for a captain, I wanted a guy with the Red Wings crest tattooed on his chest," said former Detroit coach Jacques Demers, who named Yzerman captain in 1986. "Steve Yzerman was that guy."

“Told him if he wasn't ultra-competitive he couldn't come here. If he didn't bring it every day he couldn't come here, because he was going to hate it if he didn't, dislike the coach and dislike playing here.
“It's real straightforward. If you don't do it right, you're not happy here." Babcock

#29 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,018 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 03:44 PM

Kinda. If a defender and an opponent are neck and neck it is supposed to be called as icing, the only way it's not icing is if the opposition has a step ahead of the defender

See, now I'm confused.  And it started with the goal the other night after that waived off icing where Kindl got there first.  I was under the impression that if the defender was ahead they would call it icing.  If they deemed it close enough, they wouldn't blow it down and the players would continue on as if it was normal icing.  Meaning icing is still called if the defender gets there first.  I now understand that it's either icing or not once the linesman makes his decision....no matter who touches it first.

MONEY ON THE BOARD: $10/Kronwalling (1), $1/goal by: Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Sheahan, disney.com (1), Andersson, Dekeyser, Pulkinnen, Ouellet, or Sproul.  2X MULTIPLIER: disney.com.  CONSOLATION PRIZE: $5/goal by: Datsyuk (3), $3/goal by: Z (1). MOTB TOTAL: $30

#30 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,904 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 03:49 PM

Here's the rule from nhl.com

The hybrid-icing system allows the linesman to blow the play dead and call an automatic icing if he determines that the puck will cross the goal line and the defending player is not behind in the race to the end-zone faceoff dots in his defensive zone. The faceoff would go to the far end of the ice as it did with icings called in the previous system the NHL used.

If the attacking player is leading the race, the linesman is supposed to allow the play to continue.

In instances where the puck is shot around the end boards, travels down the ice and comes out the other end, the linesman has to determine who would have touched the puck first. If it's the defending player, he calls an automatic icing but if it's the attacking player he lets the play continue.

#31 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,911 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 04:00 PM

Exhibit "A".

Maybe someone can clarify whether I'm missing something, because I seem to be in the minority that thinks that this rule won't actually change much (if anything).  When I look at this video, I see a tight race between two players as each player approaches the faceoff circle.  During the preseason, when the race was this close, the ref would wave off the automatic icing, and the two players would continue to race toward the puck, thus the risk of injury is still present.  I feel like the only thing that hybrid icing will change are the icings where there is no risk to begin with, because there is no race for the puck. 

#32 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,018 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 04:13 PM

Maybe someone can clarify whether I'm missing something, because I seem to be in the minority that thinks that this rule won't actually change much (if anything).  When I look at this video, I see a tight race between two players as each player approaches the faceoff circle.  During the preseason, when the race was this close, the ref would wave off the automatic icing, and the two players would continue to race toward the puck, thus the risk of injury is still present.  I feel like the only thing that hybrid icing will change are the icings where there is no risk to begin with, because there is no race for the puck. 

In my head, what I think it may do to help though is prevent that race from being all about just touching the puck.  With normal icing guys were killing themselves just to get a stick on the puck, which I think contributes to risk, whereas now there won't ever be a touch icing meaning whether you are there first or not, you still have to consider making a play on the puck instead of just bolting to it and making contact.  It would make more sense for the guy not getting to the puck first to make a defensive play on the other player.

#33 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,612 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 07:14 PM

From NHL:

Here is the official wording of the new rule:

Rule 81.1 – Icing: For the purpose of this rule, the center red line will divide the ice into halves. Should any player of a team, equal or superior in numerical strength (power-play) to the opposing team, shoot, bat or deflect the puck from his own half of the ice beyond the goal line of the opposing team, play shall be stopped. For the purpose of deflected pucks, this only applies when the puck was originally propelled down the ice by the offending team.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#34 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,612 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 06:47 AM

http://www.cbc.ca/pl.../ID/2409815964/

I knew I could count on Mr. Cherry to present valid points regarding this rule change.

Edited by cusimano_brothers, 02 October 2013 - 06:50 AM.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#35 nosyt612

nosyt612

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 01:39 PM

Except that it's now just a race to an imaginary line between the defensive zone face-off dots.  If the offensive player wins the race, he does not have to touch the puck first.  It just becomes a routine dump in.  He can brace him self, hold off till the defender goes in, whatever he wants.  Theres no more poking their sticks in each others feet just to touch the puck first.  I didn't see any problem with it in the first game, I'm sure through out the year there's going to be some bad calls like any other thing in hockey including the original icing rule, but it's much safer this way.

Edited by nosyt612, 03 October 2013 - 01:59 PM.

#36 nosyt612

nosyt612

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 02:00 PM

http://www.cbc.ca/pl.../ID/2409815964/

I knew I could count on Mr. Cherry to present valid points regarding this rule change.

I don't think he understands the rule.  If icing is waved off no one is required to touch the puck first.  It's the same thing as a dump in.