• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
MacK_Attack

Leafs re-sign Phil Kessel

Rate this topic

Short of him being a non-French player making that cash in Montreal, I can't imagine a more high pressure contract. He will either be sanctified or crucified, this deal leaves no middle ground.

Oh yeah, for sure. I know you're a big Leafs guy Mack, are you happy with this deal?

It's fair. He's become one of the best players in the league. I think I heard only three players have more goals than him over the past three seasons (Stamkos, Perry, Ovechkin).

He's bought into Carlyle's challenge for him to play in his own zone. Obviously, he won't win any Selke's, but he's back there doing his part. He put up big numbers now that he has started collecting assists, so you have to pay the guy in that elite category.

I think this is a great or at least fair contract. Kessel is an elite player, his release is deadly and he does it year after year. The only reason why the Toronto media dogs are hating him, is because he isn't outspoken and a shy guy so what? He produces on the ice and lets his actions do all the talking, would love a player like him on the DetroitRedWings roster.

I also think Nonis is a great GM for Toronto, he is quiet, laid back and just has his priorities right.

I think this is a great or at least fair contract. Kessel is an elite player, his release is deadly and he does it year after year. The only reason why the Toronto media dogs are hating him, is because he isn't outspoken and a shy guy so what? He produces on the ice and lets his actions do all the talking, would love a player like him on the DetroitRedWings roster.

I also think Nonis is a great GM for Toronto, he is quiet, laid back and just has his priorities right.

I was actually hoping he would hit fa this off season so we could pick him up

Short of him being a non-French player making that cash in Montreal, I can't imagine a more high pressure contract. He will either be sanctified or crucified, this deal leaves no middle ground.

Their fanbase leaves no middle ground.

He has vastly improved his defensive game. He actually back checks now.

Plus, it turns out he's a pretty decent playmaker, too.

I absolutely hate the leafs, and being from Toronto doesn't help.

However, I agree 100% with what you are saying. Phil Kessel is a great player, I don't think he gets the recognition he deserves. He has improved in every area of his game the last couple years. He's also been in the top 10 in points the last 2 years, and he's getting better. I would take him on the Wings anyday.

It's fair. He's become one of the best players in the league. I think I heard only three players have more goals than him over the past three seasons (Stamkos, Perry, Ovechkin).

He's bought into Carlyle's challenge for him to play in his own zone. Obviously, he won't win any Selke's, but he's back there doing his part. He put up big numbers now that he has started collecting assists, so you have to pay the guy in that elite category.

Yup, this pretty much sums it up except for the term.

8 years? This is a 26 year old playing in the body of a 42 year old. He may be fast but he always looks about 2 breaths short of a heart attack sitting on the bench. I just can't see him maintaining that level of play for the duration of this contract and 8 years will only make him 34 when its over.

Sure Kessel followed the money and got it but he will never be considered one of the greats of the game. Toronto paid him the me,me,me money.

I bet Yzerman could have taken the same path but chose to sacrifice pure goal scoring for a more team 2 way game. Alfredsson is a better 2 way player, so is Datsyuk(in addition to being brilliant).

I'd never pick Kessel over Alfie or Z, or D.

Kessel's contract is not going to help win Toronto a cup.

Kessel just turned 26 meaning his best years are ahead of him, he is entering his prime. He had all the leverage here, 8x8 is the going rate for players of his caliber he hasn't won as much as Perry but he certainly i s in that ballpark, so I really think Newport used guys like Perry as comparables.

If the guy was really out for the money and money only, he would have signed with a non hockeymarket enjoying his nearly taxfee millions of $.

Sure Kessel followed the money and got it but he will never be considered one of the greats of the game. Toronto paid him the me,me,me money.

I bet Yzerman could have taken the same path but chose to sacrifice pure goal scoring for a more team 2 way game. Alfredsson is a better 2 way player, so is Datsyuk(in addition to being brilliant).

I'd never pick Kessel over Alfie or Z, or D.

Kessel's contract is not going to help win Toronto a cup.

I doubt any of those mentioned players turned down a contract offer and said I want less. Phil re-signed for a price Toronto obviously thought they wanted him for, otherwise this wouldn't be done so early. Those are all players who bought into their teams systems, and never played for another team (alfie aside because he just left ottawa) Kessel is staying with the team that traded for him, at a rate they both deemed fair, sure he could have taken a discount, but if someone offers you money are you really going to say, no thanks i'll take less? I don't think of him as being selfish, he didn't string this out trying to get an extra half million/year... just my opinion I guess, he really has been improving his defensive game as well

I doubt any of those mentioned players turned down a contract offer and said I want less. Phil re-signed for a price Toronto obviously thought they wanted him for, otherwise this wouldn't be done so early. Those are all players who bought into their teams systems, and never played for another team (alfie aside because he just left ottawa) Kessel is staying with the team that traded for him, at a rate they both deemed fair, sure he could have taken a discount, but if someone offers you money are you really going to say, no thanks i'll take less? I don't think of him as being selfish, he didn't string this out trying to get an extra half million/year... just my opinion I guess, he really has been improving his defensive game as well

Yes, you are right. Toronto was handcuffed into paying him what the market will bear. They can't afford to lose him this soon into their 9 year rebuild for nothing-and no one to replace him. Management did what they had to do-the leverage was all Kessel's. I don't think he bleeds blue maple leafs and they knew it.

I just am not convinced that it is good value for Toronto.

This is a drastic over payment. I mean, he's making as much as Stamkos. He's making more than Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Kopitar, Malkin (this year), Toews, Sedin twins, Kane, Corey Perry, every goaltender in the league. Plus, he's not that far off from Crosby, Ovechkin territory with this deal. He's valuable to the Leafs, no doubt, and he's a good young goal scorer, but that kind of money should be used for the best players in the league, not the best player on your team.

Agreed.

Even though he's a bit over paid with this length/amount - it's the 'going rate' for players putting up similar numbers.

He better hope he does well, and enjoys his time in T.O. 'cause 8 years is a long time to have a frown on your face.

I agree it's an overpayment (both $$$, and length) - however those other players contracts were signed in the 'past', and 'right now' guys like Kessel can command what he did.

Kessel better hope he can live up to it, and not become Komisarek part 2.

Perry and Datsyuk weren't signed in the past