• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,150 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 08:18 PM

Kessel just turned 26 meaning his best years are ahead of him, he is entering his prime. He had all the leverage here, 8x8 is the going rate for players of his caliber he hasn't won as much as Perry but he certainly i s in that ballpark, so I really think Newport used guys like Perry as comparables.

If the guy was really out for the money and money only, he would have signed with a non hockeymarket enjoying his nearly taxfee millions of $.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#22 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,435 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 08:19 PM

Sure Kessel followed the money and got it but he will never be considered one of the greats of the game. Toronto paid him the me,me,me money.

I bet Yzerman could have taken the same path but chose to sacrifice pure goal scoring for a more team 2 way game. Alfredsson is a better 2 way player, so is Datsyuk(in addition to being brilliant).

I'd never pick Kessel over Alfie or Z, or D.

Kessel's contract is not going to help win Toronto a cup. 

I doubt any of those mentioned players turned down a contract offer and said I want less. Phil re-signed for a price Toronto obviously thought they wanted him for, otherwise this wouldn't be done so early. Those are all players who bought into their teams systems, and never played for another team (alfie aside because he just left ottawa) Kessel is staying with the team that traded for him, at a rate they both deemed fair, sure he could have taken a discount, but if someone offers you money are you really going to say, no thanks i'll take less? I don't think of him as being selfish, he didn't string this out trying to get an extra half million/year... just my opinion I guess, he really has been improving his defensive game as well

#23 SensViking

SensViking

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 78 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 08:35 PM

I doubt any of those mentioned players turned down a contract offer and said I want less. Phil re-signed for a price Toronto obviously thought they wanted him for, otherwise this wouldn't be done so early. Those are all players who bought into their teams systems, and never played for another team (alfie aside because he just left ottawa) Kessel is staying with the team that traded for him, at a rate they both deemed fair, sure he could have taken a discount, but if someone offers you money are you really going to say, no thanks i'll take less? I don't think of him as being selfish, he didn't string this out trying to get an extra half million/year... just my opinion I guess, he really has been improving his defensive game as well

Yes, you are right. Toronto was handcuffed into paying him what the market will bear. They can't afford to lose him this soon into their 9 year rebuild for nothing-and no one to replace him. Management did what they had to do-the leverage was all Kessel's. I don't think he bleeds blue maple leafs and they knew it. 

I just am not convinced that it is good value for Toronto.

#24 xtrememachine1

xtrememachine1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,433 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 07:55 AM

This is a drastic over payment.  I mean, he's making as much as Stamkos.  He's making more than Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Kopitar, Malkin (this year), Toews, Sedin twins, Kane, Corey Perry, every goaltender in the league.  Plus, he's not that far off from Crosby, Ovechkin territory with this deal.  He's valuable to the Leafs, no doubt, and he's a good young goal scorer, but that kind of money should be used for the best players in the league, not the best player on your team.

#25 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,664 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 08:05 AM

Kessel just turned 26 meaning his best years are ahead of him, he is entering his prime. He had all the leverage here, 8x8 is the going rate for players of his caliber he hasn't won as much as Perry but he certainly i s in that ballpark, so I really think Newport used guys like Perry as comparables.

If the guy was really out for the money and money only, he would have signed with a non hockeymarket enjoying his nearly taxfee millions of $.

Agreed.

Even though he's a bit over paid with this length/amount - it's the 'going rate' for players putting up similar numbers.

He better hope he does well, and enjoys his time in T.O. 'cause 8 years is a long time to have a frown on your face.

This is a drastic over payment.  I mean, he's making as much as Stamkos.  He's making more than Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Kopitar, Malkin (this year), Toews, Sedin twins, Kane, Corey Perry, every goaltender in the league.  Plus, he's not that far off from Crosby, Ovechkin territory with this deal.  He's valuable to the Leafs, no doubt, and he's a good young goal scorer, but that kind of money should be used for the best players in the league, not the best player on your team.

I agree it's an overpayment (both $$$, and length) - however those other players contracts were signed in the 'past', and 'right now' guys like Kessel can command what he did.

Kessel better hope he can live up to it, and not become Komisarek part 2.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#26 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,435 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 08:18 AM

Agreed.

Even though he's a bit over paid with this length/amount - it's the 'going rate' for players putting up similar numbers.

He better hope he does well, and enjoys his time in T.O. 'cause 8 years is a long time to have a frown on your face.

I agree it's an overpayment (both $$$, and length) - however those other players contracts were signed in the 'past', and 'right now' guys like Kessel can command what he did.

Kessel better hope he can live up to it, and not become Komisarek part 2.

Perry and Datsyuk weren't signed in the past

#27 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,664 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 08:21 AM

Perry and Datsyuk weren't signed in the past

Were they signed within the past 24 to 48 hours?

Not trying to be a smart ass, but trying to prove my point.

#28 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,664 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 08:37 AM

To add.....

Watched the game last night...Was impressed with recently signed Dman Cody Franson...If he continues to play like he has - he's gonna get some serious $$$ this 2014 summer.

Edited by F.Michael, 02 October 2013 - 08:38 AM.