• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

matthewdanna

Nyquist taking things in stride, with class

Rate this topic

Theoretically, you may be right.

But I want to see it for myself. To my knowledge, I don't believe that they have been called up at the same time. In other words, they haven't played on the Wings at the same time yet.

They definitely haven't, and I myself can't wait until they do. But at this point in time it is gonna take injuries to get them together. I\d also imagine players will start getting moved sooner or later.

At the end of the season the best lineup will be played. And if they beat out other guys, they will be in the lineup. They'll definitely get their chance to show they belong.

just took a look at cap geek.com so here are some observations:

he has two more years on his contract and then he is still an RFA (oldest RFA ever?)

capgeek lists him in the column "buried contracts". Yeah, i bet he feels like that too

You know, if I was a young player, I would love getting drafted by the Red Wings- Having said that, I would also like to play and make the most out of my career. Increasingly the Red wings are no longer the team of choice for these guys. Its simple math for players.

You're right, and he produces way more than Nyquist for slightly more money, so I don't see what you're getting at?

You also missed the part where I stated that Cleary got to play with Dats and Z whereas Nyquist did not. That would also help produce points playing with the top 2 guys on the team. Also, being on the PP with them versus not being on the PP at all.

just took a look at cap geek.com so here are some observations:

he has two more years on his contract and then he is still an RFA (oldest RFA ever?)

capgeek lists him in the column "buried contracts". Yeah, i bet he feels like that too

You know, if I was a young player, I would love getting drafted by the Red Wings- Having said that, I would also like to play and make the most out of my career. Increasingly the Red wings are no longer the team of choice for these guys. Its simple math for players.

On the other hand if you're a Red Wing you have a chance to play longer as a veteran. They're loyal, so once you make the team they treat you well. Even after you retire they take care of you. Honestly this situation with Nyquist is not the normal type of situation, it sucks but hopefully it'll be over soon and Gus will be a Wing for years to come.

On the other hand if you're a Red Wing you have a chance to play longer as a veteran. They're loyal, so once you make the team they treat you well. Even after you retire they take care of you. Honestly this situation with Nyquist is not the normal type of situation, it sucks but hopefully it'll be over soon and Gus will be a Wing for years to come.

kinda like Cleary and Tuzzi........ works well for the young ones

Edited by Spongewingredpants

Tatar doesn't have any size issues. Like Datsyuk, he plays bigger than he is. I don't buy size as a reason he doesn't play.

Nyquist is stuck where he is because of the roster. I don't think Babcock has anything against him like he does seem to have for Tatar.

I'm actually starting to wonder if Babs really has any big issue with Tatar. Maybe we've been reading things wrong.

He had many turnovers last night, which Babs absolutely detests. We've heard several times that one of the main ways he assesses how his players are performing is looking at who has the puck after they do. Tatar definitely brings tenacity and he has an instinctive ability to put the puck in the net, but I think Babcock values defense over offense.

He had many turnovers last night, which Babs absolutely detests. We've heard several times that one of the main ways he assesses how his players are performing is looking at who has the puck after they do. Tatar definitely brings tenacity and he has an instinctive ability to put the puck in the net, but I think Babcock values defense over offense.

I think this is an accurate assessment. But with only 3 goals scored in the last 3 games, he may want to re-evaluate.

At the same time, though, he says he really likes him as a player. And we're still not entirely sure what that "That's a good question" comment meant (though it probably was more "anti-Tatar" than it was, say, "anti-Holland"). I'm not saying what you said isn't true - it is. Tatar is not good defensively, and that's a mark against him, especially when it's Mike Babcock making the call. But what I'm talking about is more the notion that Babs just really, really dislikes Tatar, and isn't playing him regularly out of, like, spite or something. I think maybe it just comes down to the fact that he's a one-dimensional player right now, and that makes him a liability. Whereas Nyquist is good "on both sides of the puck."

Also: Nyquist is injured?

I don't see Tatar being as one dimensional as everyone else seems to suggest. Also, I don't think Babs is all about defense like other suggest as well. Babs was perfectly fine keeping Brunner in the top six, despite his HORRIBLE defense. He only demoted him after he stopped scoring. Likewise, He kept Hudler in the top six for a couple years despite his HORRIBLE defense, because he scored points.

Tatar is noticeably better defensively than the two I mentioned. Babs has kept worse forwards in prime slots, with or without them being defensively responsible. I don't know why he takes such a hardline against Tatar, but it certainly doesn't have s*** to do with his defense...which is actually pretty good for a guy his size.

I don't see Tatar being as one dimensional as everyone else seems to suggest. Also, I don't think Babs is all about defense like other suggest as well. Babs was perfectly fine keeping Brunner in the top six, despite his HORRIBLE defense. He only demoted him after he stopped scoring. Likewise, He kept Hudler in the top six for a couple years despite his HORRIBLE defense, because he scored points.

Tatar is noticeably better defensively than the two I mentioned. Babs has kept worse forwards in prime slots, with or without them being defensively responsible. I don't know why he takes such a hardline against Tatar, but it certainly doesn't have s*** to do with his defense...which is actually pretty good for a guy his size.

So basically what you're saying is that you have no idea why Bab's discriminates against Tatar.

It's ok, none of us know why...

So basically what you're saying is that you have no idea why Bab's discriminates against Tatar.

It's ok, none of us know why...

Well I know it's definitely not because Tatar "does play defense" or because Babs is "defensive minded". Other than that...no idea.

There is a difference between being bad on defense and turning the puck over. Tatar backchecks well enough, but he does turn the puck over, and he does it in the wrong areas. So I can see why Babcock is weary of putting him out there. If you are turning it over at the blueline or in the neutral zone, you are not helping your team. But I also think Babcock realizes they need offense, and Tatar obviously is very gifted. Tatar will learn to be smarter with the puck. It is more of an experience thing I think. But I don't blame Babcock for sitting someone, anyone, for turning the puck over.

He's not great defensively. Maybe not flat-out bad, but it's not a strength of his at this point in his development. (Not that I necessarily think it should be held against him.) I'm not saying that because he turns pucks over, mind you.

I guess calling him one-dimensional is a bit much, but, really, if he's in your lineup at this point in time, he's not there for special teams work or faceoffs or strong two-way play or physicality or leadership or great playmaking abilities. He's there to score goals. He's a goal-scorer.

I was gonna post this yesterday but work called and didn't get to it. Yesterday Holland had an interview and malik had stated this;

"@georgemalik: And Holland told Matt Dery that the team does plan on making moves necessary to bring Nyquist up sooner than later."

And apparently goose is injured right noe and won't be playing this weekend

and yet Cleary was re-signed..

I was gonna post this yesterday but work called and didn't get to it. Yesterday Holland had an interview and malik had stated this;

"@georgemalik: And Holland told Matt Dery that the team does plan on making moves necessary to bring Nyquist up sooner than later."

And apparently goose is injured right noe and won't be playing this weekend

Hopefully nothing serious, good to know Holland knows he needs to move some people to bring goose up, however I hope it's not someone like Tatar that gets moved, a line of nyquist helm Tatar would be devastating to opponents

For all of the "2-way play" talk has gone, does Mike Babcock expect everyone to be a Steve Yzerman, Sergei Fedorov, Henrik Zetterberg, Pavel Datsyuk?

One dimensional players exist and DO add value to a team. It's impossible to have a team full of guys who are responsible defensively.

Phil Kessel is one dimensional. Does he make the Leafs worse? Come on...

Holland is a master of saying the right things. He's going to wait as long as he can.

I have to think that he has had things going on. He knew when he re-signed Cleary that this was going to happen.

It makes me think that he had something on the line and it fell through. Maybe there's something on the horizon again.

PleasenotTootooPleasenotTootooPleasenotTootoo