• Please log in to reply
120 replies to this topic

#21 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,512 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 09:33 AM

He knows his GM and coach have lost their marbles.   

It gets me to think - what's keeping Nyquist, and Tartar from demanding a trade?

What's so 'special' about being a Red Wing when you're stuck in GR, and guys like Bert/Sammy/Cleary are taking up roster spots?

If I were either of those 2 - I'd be pretty damn pissed off at Holland.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#22 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 10:06 AM

What's pissing me off is the fact, that him and Tatar have done everything this organization asked them to do and even more. They've stepped up in the AHL, helped an injury poised DetroitRedWings roster to reach the playoffs and finally won a memorial cup, meanwhile the roster is filled with over the hill veterans, who clearly do not have a place in the longterm plans.I am really starting to think, it would have been better if the DetroitRedWings missed the playoffs entirely or at least getting absolutely destroyed by the Ducks or Blackhawks? This late run really has given Kenny a false - and dangerous - sense of how this team does stack up against the elite powerhouses, hence the bringing in/back actions of some veterans. I also wouldn't blame Nyquist or Tatar for being pissed about the whole situation. sent from a mobile device autocorrections errors are possible!

Calder cup but we got the memo! Its a shame what's happening right now. Wish we could see goose and tats with the roster right now.

Pavel Datsyuk - "Pasha" - #13
"Got no fun if you got no puck"
'"I like ladies" - Towards the Lady Byng trophy
"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

I'm Don Cherry and Danny DeKeyser is my Kadri.

#23 greenrebellion

greenrebellion

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 10:44 AM

My major concern is that this permanently harms their development.  Nyquist is certainly proven he's ready for the challenge of the NHL and Tatar certainly isn't developing on the bench.

#24 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,512 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 10:57 AM

My major concern is that this permanently harms their development.  Nyquist is certainly proven he's ready for the challenge of the NHL and Tatar certainly isn't developing on the bench.

Agreed.

This may be a bad analogy on my part, but you do not hold back a student in school because there's too many children for the classroom - you hold them back a grade because they may not have been capable of showing a level of competency needed for the next level of education...

Limiting ice time, and or keeping these guys down in GR when it's apparent they're ready for the NHL may bite the Wings in the ass later on.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#25 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 06:26 PM

This man should not be in the minors.

This was more than true last year to me. 

I thought it was really bad when they sent down Helm to the minors to start the 08-09 season.  Turns out it can get worse. 

#26 _SP_

_SP_

Rookie

• Pip
  • 162 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 08:37 PM

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Matt Moulson ($5.250m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($7.500m) / Ryan Callahan ($6.175m) 
Tomas Tatar ($1.100m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Damien Brunner ($2.500m) 
Gustav Nyquist ($0.950m) / Joakim Andersson ($0.733m) / Justin Abdelkader ($1.800m) 
Drew Miller ($1.350m) / Jay McClement ($2.200m) / Jordin Tootoo ($1.900m) 
Riley Sheahan ($0.715m) / Luke Glendening ($0.605m) 
DEFENSEMEN
Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Dion Phaneuf ($7.100m) 
Danny DeKeyser ($2.230m) / Jakub Kindl ($2.400m) 
Brendan Smith ($1.263m) / Ryan Sproul ($0.903m) 
Brian Lashoff ($0.725m) 
GOALTENDERS
Jimmy Howard ($5.292m) 
Petr Mrazek ($0.790m) 
OTHER
Buyout: Johan Franzen ($0.000m) 
Buyout: Darren Helm ($0.458m) 
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $64,770,833; BONUSES: $477,500
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $6,667

So is a man allowed to dream?  Sigh... Phaneuf is going to get 9/yr, Callahan 8/yr, Moulson 6.5/yr...  Bought out Franzen, Traded Weiss, and Bought out Helms (presuming he remains injured or unable to come back).

Edited by _SP_, 03 October 2013 - 08:39 PM.

#27 Chunkylover

Chunkylover

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 772 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 09:27 PM

... Which is more than can be said of his fans.

#28 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,569 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 03:09 AM

I had no idea that six goals and twelve assists in fifty four career games earned you a solid roster spot on the Detroit f*cking Red Wings these days.  It's especially interesting considering Cleary's four goals and six assists in fourteen games during LAST YEAR'S PLAYOFFS doesn't even merit a 1.75 million dollar one year contract around here. 

Hell, Ville Leino had nine goals and seven assists in his fifty five career Red Wings games before being sent packing.

Nyquist hasn't earned anything...yet.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#29 The Greek

The Greek

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 09:57 AM

I had no idea that six goals and twelve assists in fifty four career games earned you a solid roster spot on the Detroit f*cking Red Wings these days.  It's especially interesting considering Cleary's four goals and six assists in fourteen games during LAST YEAR'S PLAYOFFS doesn't even merit a 1.75 million dollar one year contract around here. 

Hell, Ville Leino had nine goals and seven assists in his fifty five career Red Wings games before being sent packing.

I would say he's earned a shot at playing on the wings. From there, he would have to prove that he deserves to stay. If you think he has had ample chance to do so, and has failed, then I can't disagree with you. That would be your opinion. I'm not saying that's what you really think. I'm just sayin that's the only way you can legitimately say he hasn't earned a spot on the team. Otherwise, he's not being afforded the chance he's earned.

#30 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,897 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 10:15 AM

I personally think the only way we see Gus back up is if there's a real plan in place to move someone, or if someone's done for the year. They're not going to call him up for two games without making sure he'll stick. Poorly planned out, he would be exposed to waivers - I'd like to think Kenny's got a little more sense than that.He definitely deserves to be on this team, though. It's a shame.

Lets face, as much as none of us want to see Sammy getting the youngsters ice time, holland played him, he scored a clutch goal, his trade value went up

That is a good thing for us.

Edited by T.Low, 04 October 2013 - 10:17 AM.

#31 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,182 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 11:51 AM

Lets face, as much as none of us want to see Sammy getting the youngsters ice time, holland played him, he scored a clutch goal, his trade value went up

That is a good thing for us.

But then if anyone who would consider trading for Sammy saw the rest of the game, they would notice that he was a slow old derp that hung out way too high in the offensive zone while his line mated did all the board work.  He did one thing right and got a mildly lucky goal out of it and aside from that looked like an old man afraid to muck it up to build the lead.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

#32 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,569 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 01:16 PM

I would say he's earned a shot at playing on the wings. From there, he would have to prove that he deserves to stay. If you think he has had ample chance to do so, and has failed, then I can't disagree with you. That would be your opinion. I'm not saying that's what you really think. I'm just sayin that's the only way you can legitimately say he hasn't earned a spot on the team. Otherwise, he's not being afforded the chance he's earned.

I agree, he's earned a chance, not a spot.  He'll undoubtedly get that chance this season, so basically I see nothing wrong with starting him in GR.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#33 Jusek

Jusek

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,732 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 01:45 PM

He's a great professional, I love his attitude. His time will come and he will be a big player for the Wings.

"I consider the Detroit Red Wings one of the greatest franchises in any sport. For a player to come in and play, it's so special to wear the jersey."
-Steve Yzerman

#34 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,041 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 02:55 AM

Griffs win 8-1 in Rochester, Nyquist with a goal and 2 assists!  Sproul 2 goals, Almquist 3 assists.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#35 barabbas16

barabbas16

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 09:40 AM

But then if anyone who would consider trading for Sammy saw the rest of the game, they would notice that he was a slow old derp that hung out way too high in the offensive zone while his line mated did all the board work.  He did one thing right and got a mildly lucky goal out of it and aside from that looked like an old man afraid to muck it up to build the lead.

I think I'd move a little further away if that was going on too.

#36 Red Crazy

Red Crazy

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 09:56 AM

It gets me to think - what's keeping Nyquist, and Tartar from demanding a trade?

What's so 'special' about being a Red Wing when you're stuck in GR, and guys like Bert/Sammy/Cleary are taking up roster spots?

If I were either of those 2 - I'd be pretty damn pissed off at Holland.

Agreed. Sammy and Bert had contracts. But bringing Cleary back had to sting them for sure. Tats and Gus would make the 3rd line a scoring threat and maybe one of the better 3rd lines in the league.

#37 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 03:59 PM

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Matt Moulson ($5.250m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($7.500m) / Ryan Callahan ($6.175m) 
Tomas Tatar ($1.100m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Damien Brunner ($2.500m) 
Gustav Nyquist ($0.950m) / Joakim Andersson ($0.733m) / Justin Abdelkader ($1.800m) 
Drew Miller ($1.350m) / Jay McClement ($2.200m) / Jordin Tootoo ($1.900m) 
Riley Sheahan ($0.715m) / Luke Glendening ($0.605m) 
DEFENSEMEN
Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Dion Phaneuf ($7.100m) 
Danny DeKeyser ($2.230m) / Jakub Kindl ($2.400m) 
Brendan Smith ($1.263m) / Ryan Sproul ($0.903m) 
Brian Lashoff ($0.725m) 
GOALTENDERS
Jimmy Howard ($5.292m) 
Petr Mrazek ($0.790m) 
OTHER
Buyout: Johan Franzen ($0.000m) 
Buyout: Darren Helm ($0.458m) 
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $64,770,833; BONUSES: $477,500
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $6,667

So is a man allowed to dream?  Sigh... Phaneuf is going to get 9/yr, Callahan 8/yr, Moulson 6.5/yr...  Bought out Franzen, Traded Weiss, and Bought out Helms (presuming he remains injured or unable to come back).

This is worse than our current team, all we really need is to drop Sammy and Bert and we should have a pretty awesome team

#38 _SP_

_SP_

Rookie

• Pip
  • 162 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 06:32 PM

This is worse than our current team, all we really need is to drop Sammy and Bert and we should have a pretty awesome team

Yep, you're right.  Replacing Franzen with a bigger, quicker player and significantly upgrading the PK unit with McClement, Callahan, and Phaneuf would seriously hurt this team...

Oh, and bringing back a guy who is going to be 42 next December would be a great thing, eh?

#39 DangleSnipeandCelly

DangleSnipeandCelly

Draftee

• 2 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 09:26 AM

Nyquist is an awesome guy. Eventually, he will become a very good player for the wings in the future. His potential is overwhelming. It does sadden me to see such talent have to be sent down to the Griffins. He was a fun player to watch on the Wings and contributed to the team in the playoffs when they needed it most. I do hope that Ken has plans to incorporate him in the future. 

However, I still don't understand why we can't find a place to fit him in. He's better than Cleary in my opinion, and is a good player. I would like to see him and Tatar playing on the wings team, as I feel they are better than some of the current players like Cleary and Bertuzzi. 

Edited by DangleSnipeandCelly, 14 October 2013 - 09:54 AM.

#40 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,182 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 11:43 AM

Cleary gets way more ice time than Goose and has also played with Dats and Z.  Apples and oranges...

Cleary needs to go too.  He sucks.  I don't know if I mentioned it in any threads today, but I'd like to go on record stating that Cleary sucks.  A Wings roster without him may bring tears of joy.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag