• Please log in to reply
120 replies to this topic

#61 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 09:21 AM

I'm actually starting to wonder if Babs really has any big issue with Tatar. Maybe we've been reading things wrong.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#62 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,140 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 09:49 AM

I'm actually starting to wonder if Babs really has any big issue with Tatar. Maybe we've been reading things wrong.

He had many turnovers last night, which Babs absolutely detests.  We've heard several times that one of the main ways he assesses how his players are performing is looking at who has the puck after they do.  Tatar definitely brings tenacity and he has an instinctive ability to put the puck in the net, but I think Babcock values defense over offense.

#63 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,283 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 12:02 PM

He had many turnovers last night, which Babs absolutely detests.  We've heard several times that one of the main ways he assesses how his players are performing is looking at who has the puck after they do.  Tatar definitely brings tenacity and he has an instinctive ability to put the puck in the net, but I think Babcock values defense over offense.

I think this is an accurate assessment. But with only 3 goals scored in the last 3 games, he may want to re-evaluate.

"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#64 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 03:21 PM

At the same time, though, he says he really likes him as a player. And we're still not entirely sure what that "That's a good question" comment meant (though it probably was more "anti-Tatar" than it was, say, "anti-Holland"). I'm not saying what you said isn't true - it is. Tatar is not good defensively, and that's a mark against him, especially when it's Mike Babcock making the call. But what I'm talking about is more the notion that Babs just really, really dislikes Tatar, and isn't playing him regularly out of, like, spite or something. I think maybe it just comes down to the fact that he's a one-dimensional player right now, and that makes him a liability. Whereas Nyquist is good "on both sides of the puck."

Also: Nyquist is injured?

Don't Toews me, bro!

#65 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,339 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 05:18 PM

I don't see Tatar being as one dimensional as everyone else seems to suggest.  Also, I don't think Babs is all about defense like other suggest as well.  Babs was perfectly fine keeping Brunner in the top six, despite his HORRIBLE defense.  He only demoted him after he stopped scoring.  Likewise, He kept Hudler in the top six for a couple years despite his HORRIBLE defense, because he scored points. 

Tatar is noticeably better defensively than the two I mentioned.  Babs has kept worse forwards in prime slots, with or without them being defensively responsible.  I don't know why he takes such a hardline against Tatar, but it certainly doesn't have s*** to do with his defense...which is actually pretty good for a guy his size.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#66 unsaddleddonald

unsaddleddonald

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 06:33 PM

I don't see Tatar being as one dimensional as everyone else seems to suggest.  Also, I don't think Babs is all about defense like other suggest as well.  Babs was perfectly fine keeping Brunner in the top six, despite his HORRIBLE defense.  He only demoted him after he stopped scoring.  Likewise, He kept Hudler in the top six for a couple years despite his HORRIBLE defense, because he scored points. 

Tatar is noticeably better defensively than the two I mentioned.  Babs has kept worse forwards in prime slots, with or without them being defensively responsible.  I don't know why he takes such a hardline against Tatar, but it certainly doesn't have s*** to do with his defense...which is actually pretty good for a guy his size.

So basically what you're saying is that you have no idea why Bab's discriminates against Tatar.

It's ok, none of us know why...

#67 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,339 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 06:47 PM

So basically what you're saying is that you have no idea why Bab's discriminates against Tatar.

It's ok, none of us know why...

Well I know it's definitely not because Tatar "does play defense" or because Babs is "defensive minded".  Other than that...no idea.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#68 cupforwings

cupforwings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 09:43 PM

There is a difference between being bad on defense and turning the puck over.  Tatar backchecks well enough, but he does turn the puck over, and he does it in the wrong areas.  So I can see why Babcock is weary of putting him out there.  If you are turning it over at the blueline or in the neutral zone, you are not helping your team.  But I also think Babcock realizes they need offense, and Tatar obviously is very gifted.  Tatar will learn to be smarter with the puck.  It is more of an experience thing I think.  But I don't blame Babcock for sitting someone, anyone, for turning the puck over.

#69 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 09:58 PM

He's not great defensively. Maybe not flat-out bad, but it's not a strength of his at this point in his development. (Not that I necessarily think it should be held against him.) I'm not saying that because he turns pucks over, mind you.

I guess calling him one-dimensional is a bit much, but, really, if he's in your lineup at this point in time, he's not there for special teams work or faceoffs or strong two-way play or physicality or leadership or great playmaking abilities. He's there to score goals. He's a goal-scorer.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#70 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 10:04 PM

Thread should be called Nyquist taking it up the arse politely. 

All in do good time for Goose to get his shot...

#71 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 08:03 AM

I was gonna post this yesterday but work called and didn't get to it. Yesterday Holland had an interview and malik had stated this;

"@georgemalik: And Holland told Matt Dery that the team does plan on making moves necessary to bring Nyquist up sooner than later."

And apparently goose is injured right noe and won't be playing this weekend

Pavel Datsyuk - "Pasha" - #13
"Got no fun if you got no puck"
'"I like ladies" - Towards the Lady Byng trophy
"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

I'm Don Cherry and Danny DeKeyser is my Kadri.

#72 ben_usmc

ben_usmc

Kenny Powers Fan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,829 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 08:26 AM

and yet Cleary was re-signed..

There's no I in team, but there's a U in c***, so don't be little jealous c***s

#73 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,912 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 08:40 AM

I was gonna post this yesterday but work called and didn't get to it. Yesterday Holland had an interview and malik had stated this;

"@georgemalik: And Holland told Matt Dery that the team does plan on making moves necessary to bring Nyquist up sooner than later."

And apparently goose is injured right noe and won't be playing this weekend

Hopefully nothing serious, good to know Holland knows he needs to move some people to bring goose up, however I hope it's not someone like Tatar that gets moved, a line of nyquist helm Tatar would be devastating to opponents

#74 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 09:06 AM

Holland is a master of saying the right things. He's going to wait as long as he can.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#75 unsaddleddonald

unsaddleddonald

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 10:31 AM

For all of the "2-way play" talk has gone, does Mike Babcock expect everyone to be a Steve Yzerman, Sergei Fedorov, Henrik Zetterberg, Pavel Datsyuk?

One dimensional players exist and DO add value to a team. It's impossible to have a team full of guys who are responsible defensively.

Phil Kessel is one dimensional. Does he make the Leafs worse? Come on...

#76 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,936 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 10:36 AM

Holland is a master of saying the right things. He's going to wait as long as he can.

I have to think that he has had things going on.  He knew when he re-signed Cleary that this was going to  happen.

It makes me think that he had something on the line and it fell through.  Maybe there's something on the horizon again.

PleasenotTootooPleasenotTootooPleasenotTootoo

#77 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 10:40 AM

Hopefully Tatar's in the lineup to stay and Nyquist isn't far away.

All we can do is hope.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#78 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 10:55 AM

I have to think that he has had things going on.  He knew when he re-signed Cleary that this was going to  happen.

I guess my big problem here is that he signed Cleary in the first place. More specifically, he signed Cleary after all of his talk about the importance - no! The need to get younger, build and promote from within, etc. And here we are with Cleary, Samuelsson, Bertuzzi (who I actually do like, and who has, thankfully, been pretty good so far).

I'm love-hate with Holland. He seems to talk out of his butt a lot because he knows most people will eat up anything he says. (Does no one realize that he's shown just a tiny bit more than zero faith in our youth, all while saying youth is everything?) And yet, he does have a way of making things at least mostly right, and sometimes pulling rabbits from his magical hat. Probably the best GM in the league, but he does seem to be slipping a little these days.

Maybe I'm being too hard on him. (It's likely I am.) I get extra-grumpy, and slightly confused, in times like these, when our team looks an awful lot like the Winnipeg Jets. *shudder*

Don't Toews me, bro!

#79 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,912 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 11:11 AM

I guess my big problem here is that he signed Cleary in the first place. More specifically, he signed Cleary after all of his talk about the importance - no! The need to get younger, build and promote from within, etc. And here we are with Cleary, Samuelsson, Bertuzzi (who I actually do like, and who has, thankfully, been pretty good so far).

I'm love-hate with Holland. He seems to talk out of his butt a lot because he knows most people will eat up anything he says. (Does no one realize that he's shown just a tiny bit more than zero faith in our youth, all while saying youth is everything?) And yet, he does have a way of making things at least mostly right, and sometimes pulling rabbits from his magical hat. Probably the best GM in the league, but he does seem to be slipping a little these days.

Maybe I'm being too hard on him. (It's likely I am.) I get extra-grumpy, and slightly confused, in times like these, when our team looks an awful lot like the Winnipeg Jets. *shudder*

On the other side if we had all youth we could be like the oilers. I'll take it for what it is, Sammy was a mistake, and we have to live with it till July. Hopefully goose will be up soon, and helm healthy, then I will be happy. Cleary on the 4th would be ok with me.

#80 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 01:05 PM

Well, I'm definitely not calling for an "all-youth" team. Veteran leadership has been a staple of Wings hockey since the mid-90s. I'd just like to see a little more youth, especially when that's supposed to be The Big Thing going forward. I'm not at all opposed to dressing veterans, but when you've got a situation like this one, where Nyquist is clearly one of our better forwards, and Cleary and Samuelsson would probably be in the AHL if this were any other organization...it's silly. And it may be costing us valuable points - so, actually, "silly" may not be the right word for it....

Don't Toews me, bro!