I thought smith was good tonight. Didn't notice him

#622 sjr2012

sjr2012

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,058 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 10:04 PM

I thought smith was good tonight. Didn't notice him

I think besides the assist on the goal he had the worst was Emdog taken that weak shot on the PS and causing a scary second Penelty to kill

try to get something by me i dare you

:goalie:

#623 Nyquistfan14

Nyquistfan14

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,094 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 10:06 PM

For a first game this was okay. Could have been much worse and showed a ton of promise. The thought of this team + Helm, Nyquist and Tatar... will be something when we finally see it. [/quote]

I agree that adding helm, nyquist, and Tatar will make this team scary!

#624 BottleOfSmoke

BottleOfSmoke

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,992 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 10:09 PM

How in the EVAR LOVING f*** did Kyle Quincey get second star of the game?!

Whut?

Tell me someone photoshopped that ish.

I hereby demand that they hire people with eyes that see from here on out.

I mean, I can't even. Did these people watch the same game? If you want to give it to a d man, I thought Kronner and Big Rig had great games...but QUINCEY I CAN'T EVEN

ETA photographic proof:

tumblr_mu2o6xYDdL1r6jldwo1_400_zps6afbdc

tumblr_mu2o6xYDdL1r6jldwo2_400_zps7b7e65

tumblr_mu2o6xYDdL1r6jldwo3_400_zps1c41ba

Edited by BottleOfSmoke, 02 October 2013 - 10:14 PM.

LGWsig_zpsa75c5d1e.jpg

#625 Yzermania

Yzermania

In it to win it like Yzerman.

• PipPipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 10:18 PM

Man, some of you are unbelievably negative.

They played pretty damned good tonight. The power play seemed flat? Just because they didn't score doesn't mean it was flat. That was some of the best PP looks I have seen from the Wings in some time, now. Alffy helps BIG time on the PP.

Our D was great as well. The one goal they scored was to a flub by Howie, which wasn't that really that bad anyway and in my opinion was more of a good play by the Buffalo player.

People already looking forward to getting big bert off the team? He was responsible for some of our best chances tonight. 

I know Buffalo is weak but there were points when we were dominating with surgical precision that quite frankly brought back memories of the Russian 5 for me, especially on the PP. It seems some people just aren't satisfied unless it's a blow out.

Criticize, criticize, criticize. That is the MO here. It's quite ridiculous.

Edited by Yzermania, 02 October 2013 - 10:18 PM.

#626 TheXym

TheXym

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 10:27 PM

I agree the first PP unit looked great. As I said earlier, once they break the seal, I think they will rack it up. Too many people are selling Miller short between the pipes. He had some great stops. If he wasn't so good tonight, this game isn't as close. It isn't reasonable to expect double digit scoring every game.

Howie was great except for the giveaway, and you are right, the Buffalo player deserves some credit. I'm shocked to see Quincey get a star, as I thought Big Rig was better, but Q played a solid game, much better than most of last season.

The large amount of penalty calls imho definitely played a role in the later sluggishness.
It's pronounced "Zim" not "Exim". Aw heck with it, just call me Scott.

#627 Superman54

Superman54

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,760 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 10:35 PM

Alfy played hard tonight, was nice to see how that vetty can still skate. Same goes for Weiss and his speed, showed some jump especially in the 1st. Once he sits well with our system, I see him being a nice fit. He goes hard to the net and thats great to see

#628 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,950 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 10:37 PM

Worst player on the ice: Smith.

I haven't disagreed with you that much over the years but......

You be smokin' da crack.

"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#629 joesuffP

joesuffP

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,935 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 10:41 PM

Zetts-Dats-Bert
Franz-Weisse-Alf
Cleary-Anders-Sammy
Abs-Emmerton-Miller

Would work better... Tatar would replace someone on the 3rd after a few games I'm sure

Edited by joesuffP, 02 October 2013 - 10:41 PM.

#630 Zion

Zion

Hall-of-Famer

• Bronze Booster
  • 2,933 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 10:51 PM

Hockeytown - No Limits

#631 RedWingsRox

RedWingsRox

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,108 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 10:52 PM

Great start to the season.   Some surprises like who would have guessed Samuelsson would get our first goal of the season?  Was that luck or skill or a little of both? 

No surprise - Datsyuk the magician.  Howard with the brain fart behind the net move but ... we got the W so you're forgiven.  

#632 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,610 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 10:53 PM

Just got back. Good game, would have been better if it wasn't so close at the end. Both Alfie and Weiss looked good in their debuts. Zetterberg and Datsyuk were terrific. 

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#633 Jasper84

Jasper84

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 2,739 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 11:01 PM

Sloppy game, couldn't convert on the PP or the penalty shot. Miller kept Buffalo in the game. Going to have to do way better than that against the better teams. Those fans leaving with a minute left only up one boggles myf****** mind and makes us look stupid on national TV. Empty seats again really bothered me. Oh well, everything will get better as the season goes along. Big weekend in Detroit sports coming up. Go Wings!

Were they broadcasting the same Wings game that I was in the seats watching? I have a 20 ticket package and I go to all 20 a year. I've been to games in the past where they can warrant someone talking about empty seats, but tonight was not one of them. 

Is there any other poster here who was at the game that can backup this comment? People left early, yeah it happens but to try and make it sound like there were a lot of empty seats is just strange. It was a pretty packed arena.

As for the play, I'm happy with what I saw. They slowed down a bit towards the end, but it's only the first game of the season and once the boys get their legs going again, we'll see improvements. Miller played very good for the Sabers to keep it at such a low score. 

#634 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,610 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 11:31 PM

Were they broadcasting the same Wings game that I was in the seats watching? I have a 20 ticket package and I go to all 20 a year. I've been to games in the past where they can warrant someone talking about empty seats, but tonight was not one of them. 

Is there any other poster here who was at the game that can backup this comment? People left early, yeah it happens but to try and make it sound like there were a lot of empty seats is just strange. It was a pretty packed arena.

As for the play, I'm happy with what I saw. They slowed down a bit towards the end, but it's only the first game of the season and once the boys get their legs going again, we'll see improvements. Miller played very good for the Sabers to keep it at such a low score. 

A few people did start to file out near the very end, but probably only to deal with the insane task of leaving there. It took me a good 30 minutes from the final horn to getting in the car. 

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#635 skyphoenix

skyphoenix

JIMMEH

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,734 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 11:33 PM

Anyone criticizing this game doesn't know what they're talking about. Yeah there were dumb penalties but we killed off two 5-on-3s and they barely had any chances on either of them. Their only goal was a fluke on a misplay behind the net. Our goals were solid shots made possible from hard work and the forecheck. The only reason we didn't have 2 or so more goals is because Ryan Miller is such a quality goaltender. Buffalo had no business staying in that game.

Edited by skyphoenix, 02 October 2013 - 11:34 PM.

Posted Image

#636 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 11:45 PM

emmerton was nonexistent. Andersson looked good, can't wait for helm to be back.

"I assure you the hits along the boards he(Aaron Downey) constantly threw SEVERAL TIMES EVERY SHIFT were far more damaging hits that what Kronwall throws."
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#637 dropkickshanahans

dropkickshanahans

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 12:49 AM

That first PP unit was awesome. If they keep creating those chances then their PP will be tops in the league for sure.

#638 wings_fanatic

wings_fanatic

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,094 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 01:06 AM

I have no idea what some of you are talking about... I was at the game and the arena was full tonight. Quite a few ppl decided to leave towards the end a little early, but otherwise there were no empty seats. Crowd was great all night, lots of lets go red wings chants. 

It was a great 60 minute effort by the boys. I thought the officiating was awful, and really put our penalty killers to work. I do not know if anyone noticed, but one of the refs there tonight looked like he is about 20 years old, and he is the one that made most of the awful calls. Something tells me Bettman is training the next generation of refs, which is a scary thing.

Pavs and Hank and Abby were fantastic tonight. They were flying (ESPECIALLY PAVS). I have not checked, but I bet Pavs has between 3 and 5 takeaways already. I thought Alfie was great out there. He husstled every shift, shot the puck, and he is a very underated passer... his vision is amazing. Weiss looks like he is still adjusting to our system (I think it will take him about 15 games) but he is for sure competing hard out there, especially on some of the penalty kills.

Lastly, our defense looked really solid tonight. For the most part, all of them were in perfect position on both sides of the puck. One thing I really noticed is how Ericsson is really taking a leadership with the team, and I think that is making him much more confident with his play. The way Kronners played tonight, he could be a norris candidate by the end of the season... hopefully he can keep it up.

Overall, great way to start the season, and the Wings will only get better moving forward. 

#639 Yzermania

Yzermania

In it to win it like Yzerman.

• PipPipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 01:42 AM

emmerton was nonexistent. Andersson looked good, can't wait for helm to be back.

the guy who had an assist on our first goal and created a chance shorthanded that led to a penalty shot?

Yeah, i didn't notice him out there at all.

#640 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,173 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 05:07 AM

How in the EVAR LOVING f*** did Kyle Quincey get second star of the game?!

Whut?

Tell me someone photoshopped that ish.

I hereby demand that they hire people with eyes that see from here on out.

I mean, I can't even. Did these people watch the same game? If you want to give it to a d man, I thought Kronner and Big Rig had great games...but QUINCEY I CAN'T EVEN

ETA photographic proof:

tumblr_mu2o6xYDdL1r6jldwo1_400_zps6afbdc

tumblr_mu2o6xYDdL1r6jldwo2_400_zps7b7e65

tumblr_mu2o6xYDdL1r6jldwo3_400_zps1c41ba

I wish you would have added a close-up. I can't even tell who that is, is that dano?

the guy who had an assist on our first goal and created a chance shorthanded that led to a penalty shot?
Yeah, i didn't notice him out there at all.

You mean the guy who got lucky and was in the right place right time, screwed up the penalty shot, took a horrible penalty, and was just noticeably bad all game? Ya