• Please log in to reply
661 replies to this topic

#641 Danielsm

Danielsm

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 05:44 AM

I wish you would have added a close-up. I can't even tell who that is, is that dano?

You mean the guy who got lucky and was in the right place right time, screwed up the penalty shot, took a horrible penalty, and was just noticeably bad all game? Ya

Horrible penalty? He got delay of game for backhanding the puck from nearly the Red Wings crease into the penalty box. He was just trying to clear the zone.

#642 NyquistianDeke

NyquistianDeke

Rookie

• Pip
  • 116 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 07:57 AM

I was extremely encouraged by last nights peformance. Thought we were solid in most facets.

To get a win while on a parade to the penalty box is a good accomplishment.  Normally the penalties would concern me, but most of them were just laughable

Cleary and Bert both showed well.  Still not impressed by Samuelson even with the goal... would much rather see Tatar and to be honest Nyquist belongs in the nhl

In a dream world we could roll

Zetterburg-Datsyuk-Abs

Franzen-Weiss-Alfie

Tatar-Helm-Nyquist

Cleary-Anderson-Bert

#643 Nyquistfan14

Nyquistfan14

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 08:05 AM

I was extremely encouraged by last nights peformance. Thought we were solid in most facets.

To get a win while on a parade to the penalty box is a good accomplishment.  Normally the penalties would concern me, but most of them were just laughable

Cleary and Bert both showed well.  Still not impressed by Samuelson even with the goal... would much rather see Tatar and to be honest Nyquist belongs in the nhl

In a dream world we could roll

Zetterburg-Datsyuk-Abs
Franzen-Weiss-Alfie
Tatar-Helm-Nyquist
Cleary-Anderson-Bert

Now that lineup would be scary good. Maybe best forward group in the league

#644 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

Kate: Jr. Wing Nut

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 08:56 AM

Penalties aside, the game was solid.  The team as a whole seemed to control the play at will for most of the night.  The biggest question mark I have is still the defense, but I was very satisfied last night.  Should've been a shutout if not for Howard waiting too long to move the puck behind is own net (not on the defense).

Sidenote: Pierre just freaks me out every time I see/hear him.  He never ceases to amaze me with the scary sh*t that comes out of his mouth.  He's obviously given himself a bad rep but he just throws logs on the fire (I.E. saying the space between the teams was "intimate").  Pierre, if you're known for being a f*cking weirdo, wouldn't you try to dial it down a bit?

It's amazing how much clarity comes when you care more about the Red Wings than any individual player.

"They are the best team in the world. They are a team that can just take over when they want to," Chicago's Patrick Kane said (of the Detroit Red Wings).

#645 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,792 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 09:18 AM

Woot Woot, 1 down 81 more to go!  Nice game by the hometown boy's, Abby, Cleary, Bert, Miller and even Emmerton really played with speed and made good choices with and without the puck all game long.  The rest all played well obviously but these are the guys that can make the difference imo.  Wiess also stood out to a lot too, he's FAST as hell with the puck and that will be great once line 2 starts to gel (and they will).  The D looked great as well and Jimmy look alright himself.  Good job boys

....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#646 AndrewK80

AndrewK80

Jr. Prospect

• 21 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 09:46 AM

Nice to see Franzen had four shots on the net.  Hopefully these guys are finally thinking about not passing so much.  We took 7 penalties in two periods, which is quite unusual, but we killed them all off.  That has to be good for our PK confidence.  

I'm spoiled by baseball where your team plays practically every day.  I always have to get used to the return of hockey when, next week for instance, you can have 4 days off between games.

#647 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,003 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 10:54 AM

What a game.  Lots of fun and I was effin pumped to watch it.  Glad the crowd came to play too.

I don't know much about Alfie, but man can that 40 year old skate and what a F****** ROCKET he has.  They just kept teeing him up and he was letting them fly.  This is going to be a fun year.

PS: Pasha is the man, but you already knew that.

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

MONEY ON THE BOARD: $10/Kronwalling (1), $1/goal by: Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Sheahan, disney.com (1), Andersson, Dekeyser, Pulkinnen, Ouellet, or Sproul.  2X MULTIPLIER: disney.com.  CONSOLATION PRIZE: $5/goal by: Datsyuk (3), $3/goal by: Z (1). MOTB TOTAL: $30

#648 wingsfan4795

wingsfan4795

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,648 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 11:18 AM

Haven't read through the gdt, but was anyone else impressed with Ericsson? I've never seen him so confident handling the puck!

Good rule of thumb is always take an octopus everywhere. Better to have one and not need it than find yourself thinking, "Damn, I wish I had that octopus".

-Buppy

#649 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,003 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 11:34 AM

Haven't read through the gdt, but was anyone else impressed with Ericsson? I've never seen him so confident handling the puck!

Ericsson was a beast.  He was jumping up in the play at the right time, showed lots of confidence, and used that towering frame of his.  He's got some snarl.  I hope he keeps it.

Edited by rrasco, 03 October 2013 - 11:34 AM.

MONEY ON THE BOARD: $10/Kronwalling (1), $1/goal by: Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Sheahan, disney.com (1), Andersson, Dekeyser, Pulkinnen, Ouellet, or Sproul.  2X MULTIPLIER: disney.com.  CONSOLATION PRIZE: $5/goal by: Datsyuk (3), $3/goal by: Z (1). MOTB TOTAL: $30

#650 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,516 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 12:43 PM

Great game.  Very happy, but it was Buffalo after all.  But I like our offense and how it's constantly attacking.  Weiss is way better than Flip, I saw him make plays and crash the net in ways Flip never would do.

Emmerton is just kind of...meh.  I understand he's a center, but I'm very annoyed he's in over Tatar.  

Defense I'm not sure of.  They really weren't challenged at all, but I didn't see anything egregiously bad. Kronwall looks like he's returned to form and was instrumental in a lot of plays.

Alfredsson looked great, too.  Seeing Datsyuk and Zetterberg dominate together was a great thing to see, too.  It's going to be a good year, I think.

Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#651 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 12:43 PM

Really impressive game, looked like we carried on from where we left off last season - skating hard, solid defensively, crashing the net, Howard looking good.

Only one game, and it was only Buffalo, but I'm liking what I'm seeing.  And Tatar and Nyquist are doing a great job right now - of lighting a fire under Sammy, Bert, Cleary and Emmertons asses.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#652 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,084 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 01:00 PM

Great game.  Very happy, but it was Buffalo after all.  But I like our offense and how it's constantly attacking.  Weiss is way better than Flip, I saw him make plays and crash the net in ways Flip never would do.

Emmerton is just kind of...meh.  I understand he's a center, but I'm very annoyed he's in over Tatar.  

Defense I'm not sure of.  They really weren't challenged at all, but I didn't see anything egregiously bad. Kronwall looks like he's returned to form and was instrumental in a lot of plays.

Alfredsson looked great, too.  Seeing Datsyuk and Zetterberg dominate together was a great thing to see, too.  It's going to be a good year, I think.

Tatar is also a center, it's not his fault he was scratched, sure he plays wing but he is a center

Really impressive game, looked like we carried on from where we left off last season - skating hard, solid defensively, crashing the net, Howard looking good.

Only one game, and it was only Buffalo, but I'm liking what I'm seeing.  And Tatar and Nyquist are doing a great job right now - of lighting a fire under Sammy, Bert, Cleary and Emmertons asses.

Emmerton did not impress me, especially on the penalty shot, looked like he didn't even want to score.

#653 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 01:33 PM

Unless Abdelkader is demoted, there's nobody else to play center on the 4th line.

Helm will supposedly be back in ten days. One can only hope.

#654 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,003 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 01:54 PM

Unless Abdelkader is demoted, there's nobody else to play center on the 4th line.

Helm will supposedly be back in (at least) ten days. One can only hope.

Fixed.

#655 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,516 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 03:41 PM

Don't hold your breath on Helm coming back so soon, guys.  We've been down this road before.

Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#656 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,996 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 04:02 PM

Helm back in ten days? That would be a miracle, literally. I mean, unless we're ok with him at 15-20%....

Don't Toews me, bro!

#657 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,226 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 06:12 PM

Were they broadcasting the same Wings game that I was in the seats watching? I have a 20 ticket package and I go to all 20 a year. I've been to games in the past where they can warrant someone talking about empty seats, but tonight was not one of them. 

Is there any other poster here who was at the game that can backup this comment? People left early, yeah it happens but to try and make it sound like there were a lot of empty seats is just strange. It was a pretty packed arena.

As for the play, I'm happy with what I saw. They slowed down a bit towards the end, but it's only the first game of the season and once the boys get their legs going again, we'll see improvements. Miller played very good for the Sabers to keep it at such a low score. 

I can back you up on that. The Joe looked full to me as well being there, expect for the obvious times at the start of periods where people are still filing back to their seats. However, I will say I was slightly embarrassed with how many fans left with ten minutes or less to go in the game. It was 2-0 and then 2-1, yet even with just a couple minutes left there was a massive exiting taking place. I know leaving the arena isn't exactly a pleasure, but your team is up one goal in their home opener. You probably paid decent money for the tickets, so why leave then? 

As for the game itself, I thought the Wings looked really good. Spent way too much time killing penalties, but I thought some of the calls were very questionable from what I could tell and not having the benefit of replay. Weiss and Alfredsson are going to be huge additions for this season. The second line looked dangerous, even without scoring a goal. Not crazy about the third line, but they were better than I anticipated. Andersson is so solid defensively and a huge reason why the PK was perfect. On defense, Kronwall and Ericsson both played very well.

I think it's fairly obvious the Sabres aren't a good measuring stick, but I still liked the Red Wings performance having to spend a nice chunk of the first two periods short-handed. Thought they let up in the third some, though Buffalo didn't generate much offensively. 

Fun start to the new season! Looking forward to some 7 PM road starts now this weekend. 

Edited by GoWings1905, 03 October 2013 - 06:13 PM.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#658 joesuffP

joesuffP

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,925 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 07:11 PM

We were flying when the D would be aggressive and join the play as soon as they stopped the game got dull. Ericsson deserved an assist on datsyuks goal

#659 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,600 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 11:05 PM

I can back you up on that. The Joe looked full to me as well being there, expect for the obvious times at the start of periods where people are still filing back to their seats. However, I will say I was slightly embarrassed with how many fans left with ten minutes or less to go in the game. It was 2-0 and then 2-1, yet even with just a couple minutes left there was a massive exiting taking place. I know leaving the arena isn't exactly a pleasure, but your team is up one goal in their home opener. You probably paid decent money for the tickets, so why leave then? 

As for the game itself, I thought the Wings looked really good. Spent way too much time killing penalties, but I thought some of the calls were very questionable from what I could tell and not having the benefit of replay. Weiss and Alfredsson are going to be huge additions for this season. The second line looked dangerous, even without scoring a goal. Not crazy about the third line, but they were better than I anticipated. Andersson is so solid defensively and a huge reason why the PK was perfect. On defense, Kronwall and Ericsson both played very well.

I think it's fairly obvious the Sabres aren't a good measuring stick, but I still liked the Red Wings performance having to spend a nice chunk of the first two periods short-handed. Thought they let up in the third some, though Buffalo didn't generate much offensively. 

Fun start to the new season! Looking forward to some 7 PM road starts now this weekend. 

I don't know if you've ever been to a game at the Joe, but it can be hell trying to get out of there. 

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#660 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,226 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 11:13 PM

I don't know if you've ever been to a game at the Joe, but it can be hell trying to get out of there. 

I was there last night and many times before. It can be awful, but that's embarrassing to leave a one-goal game in your team's home opener. Are you really saving that much time and why go to the game at all if you are that concerned with getting home?

I'm not trying to tell people how to spend their money, but I think the Red Wings deserve better. Stay and support your team for 60 minutes. If it's 5-0, then I understand. Quite honestly, if you stay away from the parking garage, it's not all that bad. Sure, the concourse is crowded, but I stayed until the end last night and was in my car within ten minutes.

Edited by GoWings1905, 03 October 2013 - 11:14 PM.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."