• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Nev

Who will be LGW's whipping boy this season?

Rate this topic

Last year was Whipping Boy by committee - Quincey stood out early in the season, before Cleary managed to wrest the crown from him, but by the playoffs Smith worked hard to ensure he was #1 Whipping Boy.

Who will it be this year? The candidates are many - Quincey, Smith and Cleary are all back for another kick at the can. Samuelsson and Bertuzzi, are other early favourites.

However, historically its always been someone unexpected. So I'm going to go with Franzen and say this will be the year when LGW opinion finally turns against him.

What say you all, the LGW massiv?

Guest Crymson

Samuelsson won't play enough to become a whipping boy. I'm saying Smith, though I hope he'll improve.

Samuelsson won't play enough to become a whipping boy. I'm saying Smith, though I hope he'll improve.

I agree with this... but if he does play say 40 games and keeps Tatar and Gus off the ice then it's buckwheats for him.

I'll go with Smith too... I just see him making dumb mistakes in our end trying to skate it instead of passing it.

Define 'whipping boy', are we talking about someone who contributes so little we can't stand him? Someone who doesn't even contribute at all? Injury prone clown?

Last year my 'whipping boy' was Samuelsson, since he contributed absolutely nothing, and was injured a majority of the other time. Smith gets to much heat, I'd send Ericsson that heat first.

This year, Samuelsson looks to be the man. However, if things go bad early I will be yelling at Holland.

The only guy I currently loathe being on the roster is Samuelsson. I always had a love him hate him thing going on, and that was back when he stayed healthy and produced. A few games come to mind as career highlights:

1. 2008 Game 1 vs Penguins

2. 2007 Game 6 vs Sharks

3. 2009 Game 2 OT vs Hawks

But the rest was "arrrGGGGGG!!!!!"

Now he can't stay healthy OR produce.

I like the rest of the guys (Cleary, Bert, Quincey, Smith, etc) for one reason or another.

Certain players have their haters and will be whipping boys even if they get hat tricks every other game. They'll either be scolded for not getting them every game, or their defensive game will be called into question. Haters gonna hate.

Some players will have had such lofty expectations thrust upon them either because of past performance or from the predictions of others who have watched them at other levels that they won't be able to live up to them.

Some players will just have bad years or go on bad streaks. It happens.

Cleary, Bert, Sammy, and Franzen will have to clear the pre-conceived hurdles. This makes them front-runners.

I think we'll be expecting too much of Weiss. He's going to be the one.

Of course anyone can do it with a little lack of effort, bad luck, and falling out of favour with the herd mentality of LGW.

Sammy is the front runner, I imagine. He's just in the way, unfortunately, I don't dislike him. Cleary is certainly a candidate. I plan to be his biggest fan, I like the guy. Go, Dano!

Right or wrong, I plan on beating the lazy Mule every game. Show up during the season, bub... not just in the playoffs or when you feel like it. Got my shoe ready to throw at his big old lazy noggin. :glare:

Holland should get most of the frustration directed at him for putting the main whipping boys on the team. Namely, Samuelsson, Cleary and Bertuzzi. You could throw Quincey in as well because he has been terrible for the price it took to acquire and retain him.

Edited by GoWings1905

Yes it is easy to pick on Sammy, bert, q, and franzen. But I am going to go outside the box: Kronwall. His D was terrible most of last year and made a ton of mistakes with the puck. he is supposed to be a leader of our young blueline corp and has to play better.

Cleary is the frontrunner for sure. He's already getting a lot of misdirected anger for Babcock and Holland. He'd have to have a career year to avoid scapegoating, and even then the points would be discounted as lucky.

I'd say Smith next, he'll likely play big minutes for his experience and make mistakes. Sammy's in 3rd just because I don't know how much he'll be in the lineup. If he ends up on LTIR, people will be mostly happy with his contributions.

Franzen will move up and down the Scapegoat Depth Chart, depending on how much he feels like competing from week to week. But he'll have good stretches, people will point out his low cap hit and overlook his contract length, so he's a safe 4th overall.

For the upset pick I'll go with Weiss. If he doesn't have a good season, people may freak out about his contract length and look to what Flip does in Tampa.

I may be stretching it, but I'm going with Abdelkader...

How this guy will get top line duties with Dats/Hank is a head scratcher (or a lack of quality wingers)...

If he doesn't get 20 plus goals it'll only prove how he doesn't deserve top line minutes.

Smith is my #2 whipping boy.

I disagree. Abby isn't on that line to produce 20 goals. He's there to make space for pav and z so they can score. His job will be to go to the corners and park himself in front of the net. Edited by The Greek

Ken Holland for signing the whipping boys and Babcock for choosing them over other players.

As far as players go, it has to be Cleary. Poor guy is on a decline in his career and will likely try and play through the injuries he's likely to get which will only hamper him. The guy's a warrior but he's in the wrong place at the wrong time.

That said if Cleary sucks I won't be mad at him. He didn't offer himself a contract.

I think you're right that there will be nights that Abdelkader's lack of skill will cost us goals and points, but ultimately if his forechecking, work in the corners, and net front presence enable Pav and Hank to score 80pts, then he's doing his job.

Can't decide if I'm surprised or not by the number of votes for Babcock/Holland.

I agree to a certain extent with what you said...

Anyone with a smidgen of talent who's lucky to ride shotgun with those guys should be able to get 20 plus goals throughout a 82 game season...

I'm afraid we may very well see 'golden opportunities' go amiss during this season since Abby lacks a scorer's touch/ability, and generally looks outta place...Hope he proves me wrong, and scores 40 goals.

Abby playing with z and pav is by no means an excuse for not producing at all. I expect him to rack up a significant number of assists from feeding the puck to his line mates. If he's dragging the line down I will show him no mercy. My support for Abby is based mostly on the fact that I have a feeling that cleary would be his replacement on the top line.

So long as they are on this team, Cleary and Quincey will be my whipping boys...along wih the occasional jab at Franzen.

Bertuzzi and Sammy won't be healthy enough, long enough to become a whipping boy...

BTW, Helm is done. Just my opinion...

Edited by LeftWinger