• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Nev

Who will be LGW's whipping boy this season?

Rate this topic

Personally, I see Samuelsson, Cleary, Franzen, Bertuzzi, and Quincey as candidates. Seems there are a lot of players that aren't particularly liked by the LGW crowd (including myself, admittedly).

I just saw that Sammy will play on the 4th line tonight.

As a $3 million player with a NTC now playing on the 4th line, he and Holland may be my new scapegoats.

Yeah, I'm still picking up the remains of my blown mind after seeing that Sammy is starting on the 4th line.

#1 Samuelsson

#2 Cleary

#3 Holland for signing Cleary and moving Nyquist to GR

#4 Babcock for playing scrubs in place of Tatar

#5 Holland again for giving Babcock scrubs to take Tatar and Nyquist's spots

I'm off Quincey's back cause he turned his game around late last year and played good in the playoffs. I would let him walk after this year to make room for Sproul and Ouellet to come up, but that's just me. For now, he's serviceable.

My top picks:

#1 Cleary: (did anyone who knows me not see that coming?) He is older, slower, more injury prone. And he's blocking younger players from getting ice time.

#2 3rd line wingers: Bert should either be on a line with Dats or be sitting in the presser. Sameulsson... well, I am counting of the fact hes fragile and will end up on the LTIR.

#3 Abdelkader: Sure he can crash a bit, but, realistically, hes not a power forward by any stretch, and the more that become obvious the less people will like him on the first line.

#4 Alfie or Smith: If either of them don't live up to expectations, I could see them losing popularity fast.

So the season is over with Cleary the runaway leader till he played himself into early retirement.

HMs go to Quincey and Howard, although both played better 2nd half. Piet van Zant also scores a surprise podium.

Franzen is the clear leader as the Playoff scapegoat and the early favourite for 14-15 Whipping Boy

So the season is over with Cleary the runaway leader till he played himself into early retirement.

HMs go to Quincey and Howard, although both played better 2nd half. Piet van Zant also scores a surprise podium.

Franzen is the clear leader as the Playoff scapegoat and the early favourite for 14-15 Whipping Boy

I think Quincey was the runaway leader in the first half of the season lol

Kindl and Lashoff got it pretty bad down the stretch. But I'm going to say it was the triumvirate of Bert, Sammy, and Cleary. Despite having almost ZERO effect on our team (good or bad), they still managed to get blamed for everything all the time. Go back and look at the GDTs. Never have three guys been blamed for so much after playing so little.

Edited by kipwinger

Guest Playmaker

I don't think the effect was zero, though. Cleary's signing directly lead to Nyquist being sent to GR. The roster spots and salaries and NTC of the three headed monster most certainly prevented other roster moves from being made an d probably lead to Eaves' departure and Tootoo being buried in the minors (not saying either of them are better or would have contributed more, just that their presence did have a domino effect, even if they weren't on the ice)

I don't think the effect was zero, though. Cleary's signing directly lead to Nyquist being sent to GR. The roster spots and salaries and NTC of the three headed monster most certainly prevented other roster moves from being made an d probably lead to Eaves' departure and Tootoo being buried in the minors (not saying either of them are better or would have contributed more, just that their presence did have a domino effect, even if they weren't on the ice)

Ok perhaps "zero effect" was a misstatement. Zero effect on the success of the team. Of course it had an effect...Chris Illitch would have to sell a hell of a lot less pizzas had they all disappeared in the Bermuda Triangle a year ago.

Guest Playmaker

I get where you're coming from. But I also see why fans were so frustrated with Cleary and Samuelsson, and to a lesser extent, Bertuzzi. They didn't produce, they couldn't be traded and we were stuck with their salaries, cap hits and roster spots. It was like the Wings were drowning and they were the anchors. But I guess if there's anyone to blame for that, it's Holland.

Cleary is the frontrunner for sure. He's already getting a lot of misdirected anger for Babcock and Holland. He'd have to have a career year to avoid scapegoating, and even then the points would be discounted as lucky.

I'd say Smith next, he'll likely play big minutes for his experience and make mistakes. Sammy's in 3rd just because I don't know how much he'll be in the lineup. If he ends up on LTIR, people will be mostly happy with his contributions.

Franzen will move up and down the Scapegoat Depth Chart, depending on how much he feels like competing from week to week. But he'll have good stretches, people will point out his low cap hit and overlook his contract length, so he's a safe 4th overall.

For the upset pick I'll go with Weiss. If he doesn't have a good season, people may freak out about his contract length and look to what Flip does in Tampa.

I underestimated the Quincey hate but otherwise I'm pretty happy with my picks.