• Please log in to reply
165 replies to this topic

#81 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,587 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 02:33 PM

Unless I'm misreading the rules (and I just went back and re-read them), the officials can already give a game misconduct if they feel that it is warranted. 

Plus there are all sorts of additional penalties- helmet, instigator, fight strap, third man in, leaving the bench, not clearing the area, continuing a fight, etc.- that if it's really a problem, they can throw one of those in as well, which adds to the number of penalty minutes. 

Or am I wrong?

You're right...

The refs can essentially remove anyone from the game as they see fit...As long as they're willing to catch hell from the coaches/media.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#82 The Greek

The Greek

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 03:25 PM

I may be off base for saying this, but many of those who are in favor of eliminating fighting at the NHL level will quip..... "Well - does fighting prevent cheap shots?"

I think the obvious answer is no - fighting does not prevent all cheapshots, but it may make a few guys think twice about their actions - especially against certain opponents.

With that said, and you've already brought it up - will the elimination of fighting at the NHL see a significant reduction of cheap shots, and stick work?

Many of the anti-fighting crowd will have a tough time answering that one.

I have no difficulty answering that one. To ban fighting would not have an appreciable effect on the number of cheap shots. What it would do is drastically reduce the number of injuries and long term health effects that result from fighting. That should be enough to justify it when you consider that fighting is not a necessary element to the game itself. Cheap shots and egregious stick work could be reduced if guys were heavily sanctioned by the league for taking part in that stuff. As it is now, there is zero consistency and some of the pubishments are severely lacking.

I'm really having trouble understanding this notion that a violent person will be deterred by the threat of more violence.

#83 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,089 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 04:06 PM

Babcock weighs in, sort of

Don't Toews me, bro!

#84 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,587 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 04:25 PM

I honestly felt he was pretty straight forward (although background noise - the weights clanging in the room during the interview, and my own children making noise made it hard to hear what he had to say), but the message I got was that he doesn't see fighting as a part of the game as his rivals do - as in if it were to happen - so be it, but he doesn't go out, and plan for it.

Honestly - that's fine by me.

#85 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,759 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 05:49 PM

We should goon it up when we play against Tampa.

:nhl_crach:

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#86 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,194 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 06:52 PM

You'd think by some of these posts that we're in the '70's.  Fighting has already been reduced significantly. With the percentage of Canadians in the NHL down to about 50% and more players going the NCAA route, it's probably going to continue to decrease.

Half the people here probably don't recall the bench clearing brawls.  When they made the penalties harsh enough, they were eliminated.  The same thing will happen with fighting.  When you have all the players in helmets, visors and mouth guards, what is the point of it anyway? 

It seems that there's a fight in a Wings game maybe every 8-10 games?  Most of them aren't some enforcer gallantly defending a smaller, weaker, skilled team mate.  How many times did Tootoo drop the gloves at the opening face off?  That was about a personal grudge, not about his teammates.

#87 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,612 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 07:16 PM

Is this Yzerman's "plan" for trying to save some salary?

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#88 1980s24

1980s24

Prospect

• 36 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 12:22 AM

I find it a bit ironic that Yzerman wants to do away with fighting when his lightning have one of the most undisciplined goons in Radko Gudas.

#89 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,063 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 12:39 AM

The above broken jaw suffered by Sam Gagne was an 'accidental high stick'.....Just think of what might happen if there was a purposeful swing of a stick at an opponents head?..

Yeah, if only Vancouver had someone on their roster who could fight, this would never have happened!

Honestly, this is the problem with the fight fans argument.  There has always been cheap-shotting in the game, just as there has always been fighting.  "Making guys answer" with fighting hasn't stopped the cheap shots. 

As I think Harald has pointed out, what has caused a noticable change is the suspensions the league has started handing out for hits to the head.

And BTW, I'm not calling for fighting to be banned, although I believe it is inevitable.  Its just the exagerrated "fighting helps prevent cancer!!!!" claims of the fight fans that have always annoyed me.  I view fighting as like having nuclear weapons - you need them because your opponent has them.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#90 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,691 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 12:44 AM

I find it a bit ironic that Yzerman wants to do away with fighting when his lightning have one of the most undisciplined goons in Radko Gudas.

I wouldn't say Gudas is an "undisciplined goon". However, it is ironic that his team has guys like Pierre-Cedric Labrie and B.J. Crombeen, who don't offer a whole lot other than fighting.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#91 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 01:02 AM

As this discussion goes on I feel like Yzerman's comments are getting exaggerated, in this thread a little but even in the media.  Unless he's made stronger comments I missed?

Because the initial one he's saying something along the lines of what Babcock said.  Pointing out the absurd situation the NHL is in right now.  Punishing players severely for hits to the head but then allowing them to punch each other in the head.  Regardless of if you want fighting in the game or not, I think people can realize that's an odd position for a league to defend. 

Khan even goes so far as to say Yzerman wants fighting eliminated from the game completely.  Has he actually said anything like that?

#92 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,908 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 01:10 AM

As this discussion goes on I feel like Yzerman's comments are getting exaggerated, in this thread a little but even in the media.  Unless he's made stronger comments I missed?

Because the initial one he's saying something along the lines of what Babcock said.  Pointing out the absurd situation the NHL is in right now.  Punishing players severely for hits to the head but then allowing them to punch each other in the head.  Regardless of if you want fighting in the game or not, I think people can realize that's an odd position for a league to defend. 

Khan even goes so far as to say Yzerman wants fighting eliminated from the game completely.  Has he actually said anything like that?

I was wondering the same thing.  From what I understand, he was saying that sterner penalties would reduce the "unnecessary" fighting.  (My expression in the quotes, not his.)

Basically, what I got out of it was that he just thought there was too much fighting that didn't need to be there.  Kind of like the people who like the fighting, but don't like the enforcers or staged fights.

If anyone has anything more where he's saying that all fighting is bad, please let me know.

#93 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 02:18 AM

Drew Remenda (color commentator for the Sharks) went on an anti-fighting rant to which the Red Wings were central; he noted that the Wings have been the most successful team from 1995 onward despite having had, by a substantial margin, the lowest number of fights out of any team (expansion teams included) during that period.

#94 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,624 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 05:29 AM

Drew Remenda (color commentator for the Sharks) went on an anti-fighting rant to which the Red Wings were central; he noted that the Wings have been the most successful team from 1995 onward despite having had, by a substantial margin, the lowest number of fights out of any team (expansion teams included) during that period.

Also makes for boring hockey while the game is going on. Low scoring games with lots of passing and no checking or fighting is quite boring. That's why as a wings fan I watched eastern conference games almost as much as the wings.

#95 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,587 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 06:33 AM

Also makes for boring hockey while the game is going on. Low scoring games with lots of passing and no checking or fighting is quite boring. That's why as a wings fan I watched eastern conference games almost as much as the wings.

I've been in the same boat...

These past 3, or 4 seasons in particular I've tuned into games featuring the Bruins/Leafs/Habs/Flyers games instead of the usual Wings vs 'some Western Conference team'.

#96 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,612 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 07:07 AM

From CBC:

In an interview with the CBC's Peter Mansbridge Monday that touched on the league's new helmet rule and violence in hockey, NHL commissioner Gary Bettman said fighting was "part of the fabric" of hockey.

But, Bettman added change is coming, albeit gradually.

"When we make changes, we respect the tradition" of the game. "You don’t throw a light switch to effectuate change. The game is evolving and we are constantly wrestling with that balance,” Bettman said. 

Typical Uncle Gary; he's so full of it his eyes are brown.  

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#97 RyanBarnes!

RyanBarnes!

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,949 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 08:00 AM

It is just a matter of time before Bettman and company has ruined the game of hockey completely. They will not stop until hockey looks like figureskating.
"Joey (Kocur) has no fear" -Lyndon Byers
"Empty-net goals are for homos" -Al Iafrate

#98 WorkingOvertime

WorkingOvertime

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,431 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 08:05 AM

Are the Wings evidence that fighting isn't neccesary, or are they evidence that fighting is neccesary but doesn't need to be used often?

Yeah, if only Vancouver had someone on their roster who could fight, this would never have happened!

Honestly, this is the problem with the fight fans argument.  There has always been cheap-shotting in the game, just as there has always been fighting.  "Making guys answer" with fighting hasn't stopped the cheap shots. 

As I think Harald has pointed out, what has caused a noticable change is the suspensions the league has started handing out for hits to the head.

And BTW, I'm not calling for fighting to be banned, although I believe it is inevitable.  Its just the exagerrated "fighting helps prevent cancer!!!!" claims of the fight fans that have always annoyed me.  I view fighting as like having nuclear weapons - you need them because your opponent has them.

I don't think anyone has argued that fighting would stop all cheap shots- if it did, why would there be fighting? It may be a more 'fair' alternative to more reckless plays.

Edited by WorkingOvertime, 04 October 2013 - 08:16 AM.

#99 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,419 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 08:57 AM

I was listening to the B's on the radio last night, so I didn't get to see what led to Thornton and Labrie going at it, but from the radio broadcast it did not seem like the scrum at the net(previous shift) was that bad to need a fight.

And if it was that bad, wasn't McQuaid's cross check something worse that should have led to another fight?

Was last night's fight "necessary" (need a better word than that), was that protecting anyone?

Was Labrie really going to town in the scrum in front of the net?

Again I was listening on the radio so these questions are honest!

Edited by Opie, 04 October 2013 - 08:58 AM.

"The more I know about people - the better I like my dog." - Mark Twain

"A wise man once told me, ‘Don’t argue with fools. Cause people from a distance can’t tell who is who'." Jay Z, Takeover

"When I was looking for a captain, I wanted a guy with the Red Wings crest tattooed on his chest," said former Detroit coach Jacques Demers, who named Yzerman captain in 1986. "Steve Yzerman was that guy."

“Told him if he wasn't ultra-competitive he couldn't come here. If he didn't bring it every day he couldn't come here, because he was going to hate it if he didn't, dislike the coach and dislike playing here.
“It's real straightforward. If you don't do it right, you're not happy here." Babcock

#100 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,587 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 09:25 AM

I was listening to the B's on the radio last night, so I didn't get to see what led to Thornton and Labrie going at it, but from the radio broadcast it did not seem like the scrum at the net(previous shift) was that bad to need a fight.

And if it was that bad, wasn't McQuaid's cross check something worse that should have led to another fight?

Was last night's fight "necessary" (need a better word than that), was that protecting anyone?

Was Labrie really going to town in the scrum in front of the net?

Again I was listening on the radio so these questions are honest!

I'll look for the NESN replay; usually it'll be on the next day...

To answer your question...I guess one way of looking at it is some players just naturally play with an aggressive edge, and when push comes to shove - they'll throw punches...I feel both Thornton, and McQuaid play with that edge...The Bruins have a team full of these sorts of players.