• Please log in to reply
165 replies to this topic

#161 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 07:41 AM

Hey, 1975 called, they want their game back. Fighting has been on the decline and the trend will continue. Yzerman, Bowman, Babcock, etc, aren't soft soccer moms, they're well respected hockey icons who know the game and can see the direction it's going in. There's no way the league can continue to say they are serious about concussions and head injuries and continue to allow fighting. So pop in your VHS of Slapshot and reminisce about the good old days because they aren't coming back.

#162 jimmyemeryhunter

jimmyemeryhunter

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 02:12 AM

The avs vs wings was imo the best rivalry in sports, my thoughts are.
The sport is changing to finesse, and the wings were physical last time finesse got popular.
Which is why I believe Eric lindros was in the finals with us.
We had a beautiful mix of skill and grit.
But we transitioned well to finesse from physicality.
and i will never watch another hockey game over the wings,
But were fans of a team looking for an identity right now tohave in the next generation, after pav leaves.
And i have no preference on which game I'm watching, physical or not.
But god I'd love to see the passion the wings showed against the avalanche especially from franzen.
That big body, should be physical.
Which is why I'm most excited about the east.

Once he gets acclimated.
It may make him try.

#163 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,085 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 07:36 AM

A tragic yet relevant news story from yesterday.  Maria De Villota, a former reserve driver for Formula 1 team Marussia died aged just 33 yesterday.  She suffered severe head injuries during a crash in testing last summer, went to bed on Thursday night complaining of severe headaches and died in the early hours of Friday.

The cause of death has not been officially confirmed beyond "natural causes" - different sources say a stroke or a heart attack - but her family have confirmed that her death is "a consequence of the neurological injuries she suffered"

Food for thought.

Maria-de-Villota-2360149.jpg

http://www.bbc.co.uk...rmula1/24505702

Edited by Nev, 12 October 2013 - 07:37 AM.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#164 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,286 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 07:54 AM

A tragic yet relevant news story from yesterday.  Maria De Villota, a former reserve driver for Formula 1 team Marussia died aged just 33 yesterday.  She suffered severe head injuries during a crash in testing last summer, went to bed on Thursday night complaining of severe headaches and died in the early hours of Friday.

The cause of death has not been officially confirmed beyond "natural causes" - different sources say a stroke or a heart attack - but her family have confirmed that her death is "a consequence of the neurological injuries she suffered"

Food for thought.

Maria-de-Villota-2360149.jpg

http://www.bbc.co.uk...rmula1/24505702

I'm just about as much against fighting in hockey as anybody on this forum, but that said I'm not sure that the slow accumulation of head trauma has the same effect as the type of brain trauma suffered in an auto accident.  From what I understand it's more of a degenerative effect in the case of hockey, leading to depression, mood swings, substance abuse, etc.  I don't think hockey players are likely to die in their sleep after a hard hit or particularly gruesome fight.  Then again, I'm no doctor so I could be totally off base here.

Edited by kipwinger, 12 October 2013 - 07:56 AM.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#165 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,085 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 11:15 AM

The accident was 15 months ago though.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#166 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,286 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 12:09 PM

The accident was 15 months ago though.

Yeah I understand that, I guess I'm not explaining my line of thought clearly.  It sounds like this lady had a one time, very heavy, trauma to the head, and as a result of the injury abruptly died in her sleep a year later.  Conversely, with hockey players (or boxers) it is the accumulation of years and years of less serious trauma that causes the degenerative conditions I spoke of before.  You don't hear of hockey players dying in their sleep, they die of substance abuse, or suicide, because they're battling serious psychological impairments which are no doubt caused by the repeated hits to the head over the course of their careers. 

I'm not trying to suggest that they aren't both the result of head trauma, but simply that the severity of the hit was noticeably different in each case.  But again, I'm not a doctor so maybe this lady died as a result of complications similar to those of recently deceased hockey players (and nobody is saying it).  Also, maybe hockey players would abruptly die in their sleep too if they were getting hit with the same impact that a racecar driver hits a wall.  Certainly, Scott Stevens tried.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."