• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,912 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 01:56 PM

Basically, I think this article is pretty trashy, but it got me thinking.

http://www.rantsport...ngs-goaltender/

If the Wings could trade Howard for that coveted top defensemen and then sign Miller in July, how would everyone feel about it?

The only pro I could see in this scenario is that Miller, at 33, would be better suited in 3 years to back up Mrazek. With Howard, Mrazek is looking at 5-6 years minimum before he's a started. IF the kid even pans out.

"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#2 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,512 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 02:06 PM

To be honest - I'd rather keep Howard, and let guys like DeKeyser, and youngsters from GR get the ice time in the near future.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#3 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,878 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 02:19 PM

I'll keep Howard.  I really like Miller, and if I could have Howard/Miller, I'd let Mrazek walk (going with a known over an unknown there).  Of course, Howard/Miller just isn't going to happen.

I'm perfectly content having Howard/Mrazek as our future.  If Mrazek turns out to be a stable back-up, that's fine.  If we end up with a 1a-1b situation, that's even better.

#4 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,512 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 02:30 PM

Last week Ozzie mentioned how we fans will love Mrazek; apparently he's got both the tools to become a legit #1 netminder, and he's a character.

#5 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 02:34 PM

If the Wings could trade Howard for that coveted top defensemen and then sign Miller in July, how would everyone feel about it?

The only pro I could see in this scenario is that Miller, at 33, would be better suited in 3 years to back up Mrazek. With Howard, Mrazek is looking at 5-6 years minimum before he's a started. IF the kid even pans out.

I like our defense. Even Eddie O complemented them saying at least 25 other teams would love to have our defense, and that's coming from Eddie

#6 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,512 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 02:38 PM

I like our defense. Even Eddie O complemented them saying at least 25 other teams would love to have our defense, and that's coming from Eddie

Had a chuckle last night...DeKeyser chose to wear #65 since '5' is part of his number...So far the kid looks damn good :thumbup:

#7 SDavis35

SDavis35

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 03:18 PM

I like our defense too, it was the biggest reason we made the playoffs last year. Trading Howard and then betting on signing Miller for the sake of a D-man who may or may not help the team isn't worthwhile. That said, who are considered #1 D-men in the league these days? They're so few that I can think of, and if a team has one they aren't going to just give him up. 

#8 RyanBarnes!

RyanBarnes!

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,926 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 03:23 PM

I really like Howard, he has developed into a very sound goalie that will carry any team deep into the postseason. No trade for me.
"Joey (Kocur) has no fear" -Lyndon Byers
"Empty-net goals are for homos" -Al Iafrate

#9 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,516 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 03:40 PM

Howard is a remarkably consistent goalie.  I'd say he and Miller are on the same plane (top 5 goalies), so it's a lateral move.  Might as well stick with the guy we got, although I like Miller and lot and wish he could have some degree of success somewhere.

Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#10 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 04:11 PM

Had a chuckle last night...DeKeyser chose to wear #65 since '5' is part of his number...So far the kid looks damn good :thumbup:

I know it always confuses me cause it looks like 55 from the right angles lol

#11 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,007 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 04:17 PM

Howard.  He's consistent, gritty, and an oustanding goaltender.  I like Miller too but he has concussion history and evidently people like to run over him.

On a side note to a comment above, oddly enough Edzo had lots of good things to say about the Wings last night.  I was kind of in shock I didn't hear "subtle interference''.

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

MONEY ON THE BOARD: $10/Kronwalling (1), $1/goal by: Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Sheahan, disney.com (1), Andersson, Dekeyser, Pulkinnen, Ouellet, or Sproul.  2X MULTIPLIER: disney.com.  CONSOLATION PRIZE: $5/goal by: Datsyuk (3), $3/goal by: Z (1). MOTB TOTAL: $30

#12 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 04:22 PM

Howard.  He's consistent, gritty, and an oustanding goaltender.  I like Miller too but he has concussion history and evidently people like to run over him.

On a side note to a comment above, oddly enough Edzo had lots of good things to say about the Wings last night.  I was kind of in shock I didn't hear "subtle interference''.

People like to run Howie a lot too.

I think part of it was that we weren't facing Pittsburgh or Chicago lol

#13 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 05:08 PM

Howie without a doubt. Probably not true because of the team Miller's on but I feel Miller is on the decline.

IF Mrazek pans out then great. I rather have that problem further down the road and let management make the decision then....

Edited by St. Michael (the Red Wing), 03 October 2013 - 07:43 PM.

#14 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,662 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 05:45 PM

I'll be devil's advocate here.  

What team in hockey would trade a top defenseman for a goalie?  This is a goalie's league, with teams having great goalies coming out of the minors all the time.  A top defenseman, on the other hand, is hard to find.

Edited by GMRwings1983, 03 October 2013 - 05:46 PM.

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#15 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,220 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 07:27 PM

I'll keep Howard.  I really like Miller, and if I could have Howard/Miller, I'd let Mrazek walk (going with a known over an unknown there).  Of course, Howard/Miller just isn't going to happen.

I'm perfectly content having Howard/Mrazek as our future.  If Mrazek turns out to be a stable back-up, that's fine.  If we end up with a 1a-1b situation, that's even better.

I believe that Petr will be our started in a few years.  They're not going to get rid of him.

#16 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,912 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 07:35 PM

I'll be devil's advocate here.  

What team in hockey would trade a top defenseman for a goalie?  This is a goalie's league, with teams having great goalies coming out of the minors all the time.  A top defenseman, on the other hand, is hard to find.

True. Although a team with a legit #1-#2 pair and no goaltending anywhere in sight might swing the deal. Trading from your strengths to address your weeknesses. Etc etc. But yeah, I get your point.
"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#17 joshy207

joshy207

Black Ace

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,437 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 08:32 PM

No.

The Wings didn't sign Howard to a nice, long contract just to trade him.  They want him here long- term, and he SHOULD be here for most, if not all, of his contract.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Mrazek backing him up next year and, gradually over the next 2-3 years, building up into a 50/50 split, then getting the bulk of the starts.  He and Howard already have a good relationship.

At 33, Miller's still a pretty good goalie, but his best days are behind him.  I'm sure Buffalo will explore trading him this season, and whoever gets him will probably want to lock him up for 2-3 years.  It won't be Detroit, though.

#18 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,182 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 11:58 AM

There's reason enough to keep Howard, a top 5 NHL goalie.  If Mrazek pans out, trade him for a top Dman and keep the sure thing in Howard.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

#19 Mitchmac33

Mitchmac33

Come on son!

• PipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 12:12 PM

"Getting Miller to Detroit would obviously mean departing with Howard and perhaps some draft choices..."

I think Buffalo would gladly take a Howard for Miller straight up trade.  Maybe I'm misinterpreting what they are saying, but if this truly is a lateral move, Buffalo would come out as winners based on age alone.  I think Howie is better and can't wait til we win a cup with him so I can shove it in all my friends' faces for saying the Wings will never win one with him

#20 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 01:32 PM

That was Keith Jones, but he dislikes the Red Wings also; he played for the Avs during the rivalry era.

Edited by Crymson, 04 October 2013 - 01:34 PM.