• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
rick zombo

Howard or Miller?

Rate this topic

Basically, I think this article is pretty trashy, but it got me thinking.

http://www.rantsports.com/nhl/2013/10/03/ryan-miller-would-be-perfect-as-detroit-red-wings-goaltender/

If the Wings could trade Howard for that coveted top defensemen and then sign Miller in July, how would everyone feel about it?

The only pro I could see in this scenario is that Miller, at 33, would be better suited in 3 years to back up Mrazek. With Howard, Mrazek is looking at 5-6 years minimum before he's a started. IF the kid even pans out.

I'll keep Howard. I really like Miller, and if I could have Howard/Miller, I'd let Mrazek walk (going with a known over an unknown there). Of course, Howard/Miller just isn't going to happen.

I'm perfectly content having Howard/Mrazek as our future. If Mrazek turns out to be a stable back-up, that's fine. If we end up with a 1a-1b situation, that's even better.

http://www.rantsports.com/nhl/2013/10/03/ryan-miller-would-be-perfect-as-detroit-red-wings-goaltender/

If the Wings could trade Howard for that coveted top defensemen and then sign Miller in July, how would everyone feel about it?

The only pro I could see in this scenario is that Miller, at 33, would be better suited in 3 years to back up Mrazek. With Howard, Mrazek is looking at 5-6 years minimum before he's a started. IF the kid even pans out.

I like our defense. Even Eddie O complemented them saying at least 25 other teams would love to have our defense, and that's coming from Eddie

I like our defense. Even Eddie O complemented them saying at least 25 other teams would love to have our defense, and that's coming from Eddie

I like our defense too, it was the biggest reason we made the playoffs last year. Trading Howard and then betting on signing Miller for the sake of a D-man who may or may not help the team isn't worthwhile. That said, who are considered #1 D-men in the league these days? They're so few that I can think of, and if a team has one they aren't going to just give him up.

Howard is a remarkably consistent goalie. I'd say he and Miller are on the same plane (top 5 goalies), so it's a lateral move. Might as well stick with the guy we got, although I like Miller and lot and wish he could have some degree of success somewhere.

Howard. He's consistent, gritty, and an oustanding goaltender. I like Miller too but he has concussion history and evidently people like to run over him.

On a side note to a comment above, oddly enough Edzo had lots of good things to say about the Wings last night. I was kind of in shock I didn't hear "subtle interference''.

Howard. He's consistent, gritty, and an oustanding goaltender. I like Miller too but he has concussion history and evidently people like to run over him.

On a side note to a comment above, oddly enough Edzo had lots of good things to say about the Wings last night. I was kind of in shock I didn't hear "subtle interference''.

People like to run Howie a lot too.

I think part of it was that we weren't facing Pittsburgh or Chicago lol

Howie without a doubt. Probably not true because of the team Miller's on but I feel Miller is on the decline.

IF Mrazek pans out then great. I rather have that problem further down the road and let management make the decision then....

Edited by St. Michael (the Red Wing)

I'll be devil's advocate here.

What team in hockey would trade a top defenseman for a goalie? This is a goalie's league, with teams having great goalies coming out of the minors all the time. A top defenseman, on the other hand, is hard to find.

Edited by GMRwings1983

I'll keep Howard. I really like Miller, and if I could have Howard/Miller, I'd let Mrazek walk (going with a known over an unknown there). Of course, Howard/Miller just isn't going to happen.

I'm perfectly content having Howard/Mrazek as our future. If Mrazek turns out to be a stable back-up, that's fine. If we end up with a 1a-1b situation, that's even better.

I believe that Petr will be our started in a few years. They're not going to get rid of him.

I'll be devil's advocate here.

What team in hockey would trade a top defenseman for a goalie? This is a goalie's league, with teams having great goalies coming out of the minors all the time. A top defenseman, on the other hand, is hard to find.

True. Although a team with a legit #1-#2 pair and no goaltending anywhere in sight might swing the deal. Trading from your strengths to address your weeknesses. Etc etc. But yeah, I get your point.

No.

The Wings didn't sign Howard to a nice, long contract just to trade him. They want him here long- term, and he SHOULD be here for most, if not all, of his contract.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Mrazek backing him up next year and, gradually over the next 2-3 years, building up into a 50/50 split, then getting the bulk of the starts. He and Howard already have a good relationship.

At 33, Miller's still a pretty good goalie, but his best days are behind him. I'm sure Buffalo will explore trading him this season, and whoever gets him will probably want to lock him up for 2-3 years. It won't be Detroit, though.

There's reason enough to keep Howard, a top 5 NHL goalie. If Mrazek pans out, trade him for a top Dman and keep the sure thing in Howard.

"Getting Miller to Detroit would obviously mean departing with Howard and perhaps some draft choices..."

I think Buffalo would gladly take a Howard for Miller straight up trade. Maybe I'm misinterpreting what they are saying, but if this truly is a lateral move, Buffalo would come out as winners based on age alone. I think Howie is better and can't wait til we win a cup with him so I can shove it in all my friends' faces for saying the Wings will never win one with him

Guest Crymson

That was Keith Jones, but he dislikes the Red Wings also; he played for the Avs during the rivalry era.

Edited by Crymson

Howard is a remarkably consistent goalie. I'd say he and Miller are on the same plane (top 5 goalies), so it's a lateral move. Might as well stick with the guy we got, although I like Miller and lot and wish he could have some degree of success somewhere.

But if we're getting a high-end defenseman in return for Howard, and then trading maybe a decent roster player, a high-ish pick and a solid prospect for Miller, that might be more than lateral.

My knee-jerk reaction is, of course, "No deal!" - but I'd want to know exactly what we'd be getting in return for Howard and exactly what we'd be giving up for Miller. Because, if I understand correctly, we're not talking about just a straight-up goalie swap.

"Getting Miller to Detroit would obviously mean departing with Howard and perhaps some draft choices..."

I think Buffalo would gladly take a Howard for Miller straight up trade. Maybe I'm misinterpreting what they are saying, but if this truly is a lateral move, Buffalo would come out as winners based on age alone. I think Howie is better and can't wait til we win a cup with him so I can shove it in all my friends' faces for saying the Wings will never win one with him

I recall the same being said about Ozzie...

That was Keith Jones, but he dislikes the Red Wings also; he played for the Avs during the rivalry era.

My bad I thought I may have been mistaken on who said it and figured someone would correct me if I was lol. Thanks

Someone is going to give up some serious assets for Miller this year. He was dominant again today... but Buffalo ain't going nowhere, "where you going?, nowhere!"

I was surprised that Buffalo or Calgary didn't try to make a pitch for him this offseason. (New Jersey being of course before they acquired Scneider).

Jimmy is a great Goaltender sometimes underrated for sure he knows how to work well under pressure and has proved it for us for the last 5 seasons Miller is great really hard to not say you wouldn't want him based on the fact he is playing for the sabres but in the end Jimmy

Edited by sjr2012