• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,086 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 01:42 PM

Howard is a remarkably consistent goalie.  I'd say he and Miller are on the same plane (top 5 goalies), so it's a lateral move.  Might as well stick with the guy we got, although I like Miller and lot and wish he could have some degree of success somewhere.

But if we're getting a high-end defenseman in return for Howard, and then trading maybe a decent roster player, a high-ish pick and a solid prospect for Miller, that might be more than lateral.

My knee-jerk reaction is, of course, "No deal!" - but I'd want to know exactly what we'd be getting in return for Howard and exactly what we'd be giving up for Miller. Because, if I understand correctly, we're not talking about just a straight-up goalie swap.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#22 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,239 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 04:38 PM

"Getting Miller to Detroit would obviously mean departing with Howard and perhaps some draft choices..."

I think Buffalo would gladly take a Howard for Miller straight up trade.  Maybe I'm misinterpreting what they are saying, but if this truly is a lateral move, Buffalo would come out as winners based on age alone.  I think Howie is better and can't wait til we win a cup with him so I can shove it in all my friends' faces for saying the Wings will never win one with him

I recall the same being said about Ozzie...

That was Keith Jones, but he dislikes the Red Wings also; he played for the Avs during the rivalry era.

My bad I thought I may have been mistaken on who said it and figured someone would correct me if I was lol. Thanks

#23 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,622 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 11:18 PM

In 2009, if you would have asked me to trade Howard for Miller straight up, I'd answer in the affirmative immediately.

If you asked me now, I'd ask how much crack you'd been smoking. 

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#24 matthewdanna

matthewdanna

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 11:55 PM

Someone is going to give up some serious assets for Miller this year.  He was dominant again today... but Buffalo ain't going nowhere, "where you going?, nowhere!"

#25 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,622 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 12:09 AM

Someone is going to give up some serious assets for Miller this year.  He was dominant again today... but Buffalo ain't going nowhere, "where you going?, nowhere!"

I was surprised that Buffalo or Calgary didn't try to make a pitch for him this offseason. (New Jersey being of course before they acquired Scneider). 

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#26 sjr2012

sjr2012

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,063 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 02:24 PM

Jimmy is a great Goaltender sometimes underrated for sure he knows how to work well under pressure and has proved it for us for the last 5 seasons Miller is great really hard to not say you wouldn't want him based on the fact he is playing for the sabres but in the end Jimmy

Edited by sjr2012, 05 October 2013 - 02:25 PM.

try to get something by me i dare you

:goalie:

#27 PumpkinEscobar

PumpkinEscobar

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 464 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 03:51 PM

Stick with Howard...let all the UFA Forwards go after the season...fill in with some Griffins

#28 Mitchmac33

Mitchmac33

Come on son!

• PipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 01:31 AM

I recall the same being said about Ozzie...

Sorry, I just don't know what part you're talking about.  Elaborate?

Edited by Mitchmac33, 06 October 2013 - 01:32 AM.

#29 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,915 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 01:54 AM

I fully expect Miller ending up in Pittsburgh if Fleury. sucks again in the playoffs. On the other hand I am pretty sure Miller is sick of his current team and no help whatsoever tough call to make. Miller being from Michigan would be another bonus but judging by salary and age I would stick with Howard. Although Miller is the better goaltender right now.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..