• Please log in to reply
365 replies to this topic

#361 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,125 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 08:45 PM

:lol: :lol: The sheer amount of parentheses made me giggle.

That's not my intentions at all.  I never liked Filppula... but, when you sober up a bit (read: a lot... there's a lot of stats and math), it definitely speaks to the fact that Weiss is not worth his contract and will hurt this team down the road- in three years or less.

More worth it than Flip would have been

I'd recommend not quoting entire posts without adding significant input...

Uhh, I just showed you that Weiss has averaged .1 more points per game than Flip, while playing in significantly more minutes over his career.   If you take his points per minute it is .033....   Flip's is .032.... dude, they are NOT that far off.  And who's to say that the "supporting cast" on the Panthers' top line was consistently worse than the Red Wings' second line?  I mean, Weiss played on some pretty good teams... He played on four teams with 85+ points and two teams with 72+ points.  All four teams with 85+ points were teams with winning records.

The Panthers weren't AWFUL.  During eight of the last ten years (not counting lockout seasons), they've finished with more goals over the entire season than multiple playoff teams three times and within 6 total goals of multiple playoff teams three other times.  That speaks towards poor overall team defense and goaltending.  It says nothing about a lack of scoring- and that's what you're arguing, player points (Goals+Assists)

Numbers, numbers, numbers... Weiss has been average (if that's what you're calling Flip) on offense, even while playing on fairly decent scoring teams- teams scoring enough to make the playoffs.

We know his defense is suspect and he is one of those offense-oriented players... people didn't want to give Flip even three million, but they think Weiss has really done more to warrant $5mil/yr?

Filppula career = .52 g/g

Weiss = .6 g/g

5 mil for Weiss is better than 5 mil for filppula

#362 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,608 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 12:14 AM

Weiss was the ideal replacement for Fil. Why we are arguing this, I don't know. 

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#363 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,047 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 12:30 AM

This is how bad it is: Flip is better than Weiss on defense.  Weiss is marginally better than Flip on the offensive end, at best.  But the Red Wings shoved him out the door and didn't replace him with anyone significantly better- and for five freakin' million dollars per year.  That's a LOT for an average player, no?

Unrestricted Free Agents are overpaid period.  Look around the league at the contracts that were handed out this summer.  I've said it before, UFA's are as overpaid as RFA's are underpaid, its just the way the economic system works in the NHL.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#364 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,608 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 12:58 AM

Fil wanted $5 million, and Kenny wasn't going to pay him that, and no sensible armchair-gm Red Wings fan would have either.  

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#365 matthewdanna

matthewdanna

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 02:02 AM

This Fil vs Weiss/Babs is an idiot/the sky is falling crap makes me laugh... good times.

We should have traded for Hertl because he's on pace for 164 goals this year... what was Holland thinking?

#366 RyanBarnes!

RyanBarnes!

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,929 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 02:09 AM

In regard to the Filppula vs Weiss debate I think there are important aspects that will not show in the stats. I personally feel that Weiss is an upgrade because he crashes the net while Filppula circled away from the net. This will potentially make a huge difference in the post season when the game is more defensive.
"Joey (Kocur) has no fear" -Lyndon Byers
"Empty-net goals are for homos" -Al Iafrate