• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Red Wings Addict

Will young talent ever speak out against Wings philosophy?

Rate this topic

78 posts in this topic

If I was in Nyquist shoes this year I would've said something, especially after the Cleary singing. So if he would've said something I wouldn't mind at all.

I would think young guys would want to get paid NHL money for 1 or 2 years before it is determined they are not career NHL players and are career AHLers. There is that brief window for players that are on the bubble of becoming NHLers and getting paid NHL money. One organization might let you play in the NHL and make some decent money before it is obvious you won't make it. Well guess what? That organization just helped you gross over $1M in two seasons. While in an organization like Detroit, you will only get paid $130k over those two seasons before it becomes clear you won't make it.

For young players in that type of situation I would not want to be in an organization like Detroit.

He probably wouldn't have been paired with Lidstrom, as I cannot remember the last time a rookie was given top pairing minutes in Detroit. Chances are even if he had been on the team, he would have been given bottom pairing minutes and Lidstrom's effect on him would have been negligible. Just like it was negligible on Ericsson or Kindl or Quincey before them. You've got to remember that in 2011-2012 White was paired with Lidstrom (and looked very solid) and Kronwall and Stuart were the second pair. There's no way that Smith breaks into the top four on that team.

There's a tendency to believe that pairing someone with Lidstrom or Datsyuk or whomever will significantly aide a rookie's development, and it's largely b.s. Having those guys around to cover your mistakes doesn't make you less prone to making them, it just makes mistakes less costly. The only real developmental effect that playing with Datsyuk or Zetterberg or Lidstrom comes from teaching guys what it takes, in terms of preparation on and off the ice, to be successful at this level.

With or without Lidstrom, Smith would still make boneheaded plays...mostly because Smith is a bonehead. As I said, sticking him with someone who covers for him will make his mistakes less harmful, but it won't stop him from making them. That's what practice, experience, and playing in all situations is there for, and that's exactly why the Wings keep guys in the minors so long.

I think it would have done as much or more good than playing in GR. Had he been paired with Lidstrom, yes, Nick would have been covering up mistakes, but Smith would have had no better teacher correcting him on the bench, discussing every play, every situation, what to do, what not to do. If (when) it was determined Smith needed more GR time, he could have been sent back with some great experience to learn from. My biggest issue with the Wings' development of prospects is that they leave them in GR until the last possible moment, when they are out of waiver options, and chances are they have 15, 20 games of NHL experience as a 4th-line or 6th-D callup, they are not put in the situations where they will eventually be playing. Yes, I know the Wings claim they are competing for a Cup every year, so maybe they don't want to risk putting prospects on the ice, they'd rather bring in someone with tons of experience... but that's why they are in the situation they're in now, with an overcrowded roster and payroll, and their up-and-coming forwards in GR or the press box.

I am sort of torn here. We could be a team like the Oil and be on a 7 season playoff drought trying by trying to play all of our young kids or we can be like the wings and be on a 22 season playoff streak doing what we do. Don't get me wrong I would love to see some of our young players over the likes of Sammy and Cleary but with the success the wings have had with the way they have done things I don't see that changing any time soon. The young players still talk highly about the wings and how they are ran so I think its more us fans that have a problem with it then any of the players.

I think the key is balance. Some players you can rush, some players need or are at least are served better than others with more time to develop in the minors. I think it's more than fair to say that the Wings might be pushing it to the extreme end at this point, and oftentimes that does come back to haunt you, or at least cause you to field a weaker team. I think last year was a good example of that. We spent too much on mid-level guys that had no impact for one reason or another and our younger guys unexpectedly carried us further than anyone would've predicted. I would've like to have seen Holland trying to go this route for awhile but with intention, and instead of signing two mid-level guys to overpriced deals, sign one impact guy that will make those around him better and set an example for the kids.