• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
rrasco

Stuart faces hearing for hit to head

Rate this topic

Just watched Shanny's video explanation of the hit. The suspension happened because Stuart extended "upward and outward" on the hit, rather than hitting Nash squarely through the shoulder or body. Don't know that I agree it's suspension worthy, but figured I'd pass the info along in any case.

Stuart definitely did do that, and it was unnecessary. Reckless, not malicious.

But let's pretend for a second that there is a shred of consistency in punishments this season. If that is the standard that gets 3 games, what will an actual malicious hard hit to the head get?

A Raffi Torres special would warrant banishment from the league and jail time based on what Stuart just got.

I've always liked Shanahan and I hate it that he took this job as it's such a thankless one. There must lots of pressure coming from all sides and no matter what he does there will always be lots of complaining. I hope he's mentally tough enough.

It is definitely a thankless job. I wish I could track down the article that implied Shanny came out with hard suspensions across the board when he started but got so much heat from GM's and the NHLPA that it reverted back to the wheel of justice.

But now with the increased attention on concussions in sports maybe owners are allowing the harsher punishment again.

But let's pretend for a second that there is a shred of consistency in punishments this season. If that is the standard that gets 3 games, what will an actual malicious hard hit to the head get?

A Raffi Torres special would warrant banishment from the league and jail time based on what Stuart just got.

It is definitely a thankless job. I wish I could track down the article that implied Shanny came out with hard suspensions across the board when he started but got so much heat from GM's and the NHLPA that it reverted back to the wheel of justice.

But now with the increased attention on concussions in sports maybe owners are allowing the harsher punishment again.

If this suspnsion is indeed a precedent-setter, I don't think it'll be awful long before we see someone get a record-long suspension. I'm just gonna hope that this is not a setter of predecent.

I completely agree with you. Like I said, maybe a fine, but definitely not a suspension. But you're right, it is unnecessary to explode upward on a hit like that. Here's hoping Kronwall keeps hitting with his butt, because if this gets three games, Kronwall would get life.

Yep, three games it is. Not a fan I am.

NEW YORK – San Jose Sharks defenseman Brad Stuart has been suspended for three games, without pay, for an illegal check to the head of New York Rangers forward Rick Nash during NHL Game No. 44 in San Jose on Tuesday, October 8, the National Hockey League's Department of Player Safety announced today.

Under the terms of the Collective Bargaining Agreement and based on his average annual salary, Stuart will forfeit $55,384.62. The money goes to the Players' Emergency Assistance Fund.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=686169

Edited by rrasco