• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 Ally

Ally

just figured out how to change my title

• PipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 11:46 PM

I feel like there's a magic 8 ball in Shanny's desk and he trusts it's judgement.

"Everything he does is exciting to watch.” -Holmstrom describes Datsyuk

#22 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,665 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 12:14 AM

I feel like there's a magic 8 ball in Shanny's desk and he trusts it's judgement.

Or the magic Conch Shell.

I miss Stuart. It's weird how sometimes things (or in this case, players) aren't really appreciated until they're gone.

Edited by Bring Back The Bruise Bros, 10 October 2013 - 12:38 AM.

"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#23 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,435 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 01:58 AM

Just watched Shanny's video explanation of the hit.  The suspension happened because Stuart extended "upward and outward" on the hit, rather than hitting Nash squarely through the shoulder or body.  Don't know that I agree it's suspension worthy, but figured I'd pass the info along in any case.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#24 P. Marlowe

P. Marlowe

4th Line Heel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 06:38 AM

I've always liked Shanahan and I hate it that he took this job as it's such a thankless one. There must lots of pressure coming from all sides and no matter what he does there will always be lots of complaining. I hope he's mentally tough enough.

"Finger-pointing is easy. In some cases, even therapeutic. Fans need to blame something,

because the outcome is so frustratingly out of their control."
-- Mitch Albom

| Terry Sawchuk & Johnny Bower | | Extra Protection | | "Luckies never cut my wind." | | Straight to the Goal | | Dodging Traffic |
| Tom Waits - Get Behind the Mule | | Mikael Samuelsson Forever | | Mike Grier? |

#25 fixxxer

fixxxer

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 10:45 AM

Ya don't agree with this call at all either. Stuart even kept his arms tucked in before impact which imo is more important. To say that his head was the primary target is stretching it. There's a hundred hits a week like this and this doesn't stand out among the other ones.

#26 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,814 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 10:59 AM

Just watched Shanny's video explanation of the hit.  The suspension happened because Stuart extended "upward and outward" on the hit, rather than hitting Nash squarely through the shoulder or body.  Don't know that I agree it's suspension worthy, but figured I'd pass the info along in any case.

Stuart definitely did do that, and it was unnecessary.  Reckless, not malicious. 

But let's pretend for a second that there is a shred of consistency in punishments this season.  If that is the standard that gets 3 games, what will an actual malicious hard hit to the head get?

A Raffi Torres special would warrant banishment from the league and jail time based on what Stuart just got.

I've always liked Shanahan and I hate it that he took this job as it's such a thankless one. There must lots of pressure coming from all sides and no matter what he does there will always be lots of complaining. I hope he's mentally tough enough.

It is definitely a thankless job.  I wish I could track down the article that implied Shanny came out with hard suspensions across the board when he started but got so much heat from GM's and the NHLPA that it reverted back to the wheel of justice. 

But now with the increased attention on concussions in sports maybe owners are allowing the harsher punishment again.

#27 wingedominance13

wingedominance13

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 12:28 PM

"Hearing Rick Nash is expected to be out seven to 10 days." Per the twitter universe

#28 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,665 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 01:10 PM

Stuart definitely did do that, and it was unnecessary.  Reckless, not malicious. 

But let's pretend for a second that there is a shred of consistency in punishments this season.  If that is the standard that gets 3 games, what will an actual malicious hard hit to the head get?

A Raffi Torres special would warrant banishment from the league and jail time based on what Stuart just got.

It is definitely a thankless job.  I wish I could track down the article that implied Shanny came out with hard suspensions across the board when he started but got so much heat from GM's and the NHLPA that it reverted back to the wheel of justice. 

But now with the increased attention on concussions in sports maybe owners are allowing the harsher punishment again.

If this suspnsion is indeed a precedent-setter, I don't think it'll be awful long before we see someone get a record-long suspension. I'm just gonna hope that this is not a setter of predecent.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#29 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,435 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 01:27 PM

I completely agree with you.  Like I said, maybe a fine, but definitely not a suspension.  But you're right, it is unnecessary to explode upward on a hit like that.  Here's hoping Kronwall keeps hitting with his butt, because if this gets three games, Kronwall would get life. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#30 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,000 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 01:28 PM

Yep, three games it is.  Not a fan I am.

NEW YORK – San Jose Sharks defenseman Brad Stuart has been suspended for three games, without pay, for an illegal check to the head of New York Rangers forward Rick Nash during NHL Game No. 44 in San Jose on Tuesday, October 8, the National Hockey League's Department of Player Safety announced today.

Under the terms of the Collective Bargaining Agreement and based on his average annual salary, Stuart will forfeit $55,384.62. The money goes to the Players' Emergency Assistance Fund.

http://www.nhl.com/i...s.htm?id=686169

Edited by rrasco, 10 October 2013 - 01:30 PM.

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

MONEY ON THE BOARD: $10/Kronwalling (1), $1/goal by: Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Sheahan, disney.com (1), Andersson, Dekeyser, Pulkinnen, Ouellet, or Sproul.  2X MULTIPLIER: disney.com.  CONSOLATION PRIZE: $5/goal by: Datsyuk (3), $3/goal by: Z (1). MOTB TOTAL: $30