• Please log in to reply
302 replies to this topic

#261 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,031 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 05:29 AM

Babcock is regarded as the best coach in the world, hate to say it but it's time for him to show it. Losing against an elite team 1:4 isn't great but still better than losing against average or below average teams, the DetroitRedWings have et to put together a whole 60 minutes effort. Clear salary and send some guys to the Gr, most teams ice a speedy young third line and a tough as nails fourth line. Tatar, Andersson and Nyquist can't be worse than some of the veterans this franchise for whatever reason loves so much, they can't and aren't. I'd rather see one of the former mentioned players making a costly mistake and learning from it, instead of watching some over the hill veterans making the same mistake although they have well over 10 years in the league under their belt. Abdelkader on the second line won't help them much, Weiss is supposed to be the second line center = top 6 role + top 6 salary start playing like that. This team could even have signed a PP quarterback in Raymond, guy has signed for 1 million when everyone knew, the DetroitRedWings would need one badly. Yeah, it's just four games but these four games are looking very much like the team from last year, a team that barely made the playoffs and overarchieved. I am not pressing the panic button because I expected something similar to last year but at least play the young guys and stop throwing them under the bus after bad mistakes, more ice time means more time to learn. Sadly, I remember a time when the only dicussion against teams like the Blues, Nashville, Sunbelts minus Ducks aso. was by HOW MUCH this organization would win, not if... btw. please fix the tapatalk paragraphs thing.

Edited by frankgrimes, 11 October 2013 - 05:33 AM.

lidsretire2.jpg

Thank you so much perfect human being #5

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

Phase I: injury rattled roster Phase II: BABCOCK Phase III: Playoffs XXIII !

#262 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 06:08 AM

Looked like the 5 days off did more harm than good :/ Hopefully they come out much better Saturday..

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#263 AndrewK80

AndrewK80

Jr. Prospect

• 20 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 07:35 AM

I was at the game last night.  Most people, me included, were more into checking the Tigers score on their phones.  Can't remember the last time I went to a game where the Wings were out-shot.  Only one real power play (the first was about 10 seconds long) and it looked more like a Phoenix power play.  A lot of close calls, though, the game really could have gone either way.  Hopefully we pick up the intensity a bit on Saturday.

#264 GoWings!

GoWings!

Rookie

• Pip
  • 192 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 08:49 AM

Other than the first game I think our last three games have been uninspiring. Pretty lucky win against Carolina. It's very early in the season. No need for a panic but I don't want us to dig holes for ourselves with boring efforts like this as the season goes on. I think the Zetts/Dats tandem will split up eventually unless we can find someone who can score with our two playmakers on that first line. I'd like to see Alfredsson on the first line with them. 2nd line is disappointing thus far so not sure what combo to use. Franzen seems useless, too early to judge Weiss. I think it's time to use a third line that'll have Tatar, Nyquist and Andersson for some energy. Then maybe Abby, Miller and Emmerton to grind until maybe Helm raises from the dead. Although I'd hate to plug the 2nd line with anyone of Bert, Samuelsson or Cleary. I do know one thing: only guy I saw movin his legs last night and actually getting into Phoenix's zone was Zetts...

#265 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,547 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 08:55 AM

No need. His contract is up and even Holland won't be crazy enough to bite that rotten apple.

At least not twice.

#266 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,245 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 08:57 AM

Cleary, Sammy & Franzen must go. Trade Franzen & Q for something that can help us....more scoring!

Laugh it up, delete it all, I'll be laughing when it happens! -4/17/14

#267 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,332 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 09:05 AM

Yeah, trade a guy who will kill us in cap penalties if he retires on another team.

The only option for him is a compliance buyout if you don't want to wait for him to retire.

Posted Image

#268 Dabura

Dabura

Cake Eater

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,057 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 10:00 AM

Thoughts.

1. Last night we were exposed by a brilliant, ballsy coach and a hungry, disciplined team. Tippett realized our blue line is actually garbage in its own zone, so he "pinch shifted" his entire team forward, putting our young, bumbling D under extreme pressure and duress, and, in turn, completely stunting our attack. I call this strategy "salting the earth." Kill the the ground, the soil, the ultimate foundation...and nothing will grow. It was incredible to see. We can only hope other teams don't try the same thing, because if they do, we're screwed.

2. Smith and Quincey may be the worst pairing in the league. One of them needs to sit for a game or two or three or four hundred. Brutal. Terrible. Garbage.

3. We have so many borderline useless fourth-line scrubs on this team. Get off your lazy ass, Holland, and do whatever it takes to get Nyquist back in this lineup ASAP. At the very least, we're sorely missing his speed.

4. Babs needs to get over his fear/hatred of kids. Play Tatar, let him run wild on a new Kids Line with Nyquist and Andersson.

5. Through four games we've played, like, 40 good minutes, if that. Wonderful.

Edited by Dabura, 11 October 2013 - 10:00 AM.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#269 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,546 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 10:02 AM

Yeah, trade a guy who will kill us in cap penalties if he retires on another team.

The only option for him is a compliance buyout if you don't want to wait for him to retire.

They HAVE to buy him out. 7 more years of this bum yachting around the ice? No thanks. It's infuriating to watch him play. I always cut the big oaf some slack in the past because "yada yada playoff beast only a 3.9M cap hit yada yada". But no more. He's setting a bad pace on that 2nd line, and a toxic example for the rest of the team. To me, Franzen's play is the key reason why the Wings get accused of not bringing it night-to-night. You throw him on either of the two tops line and "presto", they suck: no cycle, no drive, no north-south game to speak of.

Weiss wil be fine. At least he's a digger. Alfredsson will be fine. You can't put Franzen anywhere.

I actually think they will buy him out, by the way. Unless he scores 30 - 40 goals this year. I'll chew off my own scrotum if he does.

"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#270 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,400 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 10:10 AM

They HAVE to buy him out. 7 more years of this bum yachting around the ice? No thanks. It's infuriating to watch him play. I always cut the big oaf some slack in the past because "yada yada playoff beast only a 3.9M cap hit yada yada". But no more. He's setting a bad pace on that 2nd line, and a toxic example for the rest of the team. To me, Franzen's play is the key reason why the Wings get accused of not bringing it night-to-night. You throw him on either of the two tops line and "presto", they suck: no cycle, no drive, no north-south game to speak of.

Weiss wil be fine. At least he's a digger. Alfredsson will be fine. You can't put Franzen anywhere.

I actually think they will buy him out, by the way. Unless he scores 30 - 40 goals this year. I'll chew off my own scrotum if he does.

Come on Franzen!!! You can dooooo it! 

IPB Image

#271 Crashnburnluder

Crashnburnluder

Crashnburnluder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,194 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 10:11 AM

After watching this game I'm not ready to say our 2nd line will be garbage all season but if they don't put it together then they are. I feel the absolutely biggest problem on that line right now is Weiss. We brought him in to be the "abby" on that line. He is supposed to be using his speed to pursue the puck and set up our shooters. Alfie and Franzen both have great shots when they get the puck but Weiss needs to get it to them. I think he is too worried on trying to learn the system that its taking a hit to his game. When Weiss isn't skating and trying to forecheck and pursue the puck we have 3 floaters on one line which is horrendous.

As for the bottom six, not gonna even bother. Everybody has already stated too much useless talent on this roster. Going to be even tougher when Helm gets back because its going to be near impossible to get Tatar in the line up, let alone Nyquist. Im not going to panic on this team yet, because slow starts for us is pretty common, thats why the season is 82 games but for us to be a cup contender. Our second line needs to get there s*** together so we don't have to split up Z and D. We need helm back and playing with Nyquist and Tatar, and then Andersson centering the fourth with Tootoo and insert one of Miller/Eaves, Bertuzzi, Sammy, and I'm probably forgetting someone. (figuring Emmerton is in GR)

#272 Dabura

Dabura

Cake Eater

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,057 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 10:17 AM

As for the bottom six, not gonna even bother. Everybody has already stated too much useless talent on this roster. Going to be even tougher when Helm gets back because its going to be near impossible to get Tatar in the line up, let alone Nyquist.

Personally, I'm not expecting Helm to be back at 80-100% until January at the very earliest. If Tatar and/or Nyquist isn/t/aren't playing regular minutes by that point, then I officially hate Ken Holland and Mike Babcock. Unless we're winning.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#273 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,546 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 10:24 AM

After watching this game I'm not ready to say our 2nd line will be garbage all season but if they don't put it together then they are. I feel the absolutely biggest problem on that line right now is Weiss. We brought him in to be the "abby" on that line. He is supposed to be using his speed to pursue the puck and set up our shooters. Alfie and Franzen both have great shots when they get the puck but Weiss needs to get it to them. I think he is too worried on trying to learn the system that its taking a hit to his game. When Weiss isn't skating and trying to forecheck and pursue the puck we have 3 floaters on one line which is horrendous.

As for the bottom six, not gonna even bother. Everybody has already stated too much useless talent on this roster. Going to be even tougher when Helm gets back because its going to be near impossible to get Tatar in the line up, let alone Nyquist. Im not going to panic on this team yet, because slow starts for us is pretty common, thats why the season is 82 games but for us to be a cup contender. Our second line needs to get there s*** together so we don't have to split up Z and D. We need helm back and playing with Nyquist and Tatar, and then Andersson centering the fourth with Tootoo and insert one of Miller/Eaves, Bertuzzi, Sammy, and I'm probably forgetting someone. (figuring Emmerton is in GR)

It's Franzen. I swear to god. I know it's easy to blame the new guy.

I don't think I've seen Franzen shoot the puck yet this season. If I was a  6-3, 220 lb winger, that could whip lasers from the hash marks, I'd be TAKING the puck there and firing bullets instead of playing on the outside all.friggin.game.

Don't forget, Franzen played with Datsyuk and Z alot last year and he sucked all over the place too.

Edit: Weiss got an OT winner by driving the net, and nearly scored last night on a similar play. I have yet to see Franzen do anything. Srsly. I'm not exagerating.

Edited by rick zombo, 11 October 2013 - 10:26 AM.

"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#274 Dabura

Dabura

Cake Eater

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,057 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 10:42 AM

Babs did say Franzen is supposed to be the second line's key piece, i.e. its success hinges on Franzen more than it does Weiss or Alfredsson (in theory).

Don't Toews me, bro!

#275 Dabura

Dabura

Cake Eater

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,057 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 10:51 AM

Bright side: at least we're not the Rangers.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#276 Bryguy

Bryguy

Zata

• PipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 10:55 AM

As much as I hate tootoo, they really need a guy like that on the 3rd of 4th line. Who's gonna continuously chase down the opposition in the corner. We are just way to passive when it comes to forechecking, need to start banging and crashing people. Sigh... please come back Helm.

#277 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,933 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 11:02 AM

It's Franzen. I swear to god. I know it's easy to blame the new guy.

I don't think I've seen Franzen shoot the puck yet this season. If I was a  6-3, 220 lb winger, that could whip lasers from the hash marks, I'd be TAKING the puck there and firing bullets instead of playing on the outside all.friggin.game.

Don't forget, Franzen played with Datsyuk and Z alot last year and he sucked all over the place too.

Edit: Weiss got an OT winner by driving the net, and nearly scored last night on a similar play. I have yet to see Franzen do anything. Srsly. I'm not exagerating.

My fears is that Babs' comments about the 2nd line needing a change means Cleary getting a promotion.  Drop Franzen to the 3rd, put Tatar in his place, Cleary on the 4th, & Sammy in the press box instead.  And while we're at it, sit Smith or Q for Lashoff for a few games. 

Money on the Board 2014: $5 per series, $5 per sweep, $5 per Kronwalling, $10 per Marchand Kronwalling, $1 per Zetterberg game, $1 per 2013 Calder Cup roster player goal

#278 barabbas16

barabbas16

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 11:04 AM

Thoughts.

1. Last night we were exposed by a brilliant, ballsy coach and a hungry, disciplined team. Tippett realized our blue line is actually garbage in its own zone, so he "pinch shifted" his entire team forward, putting our young, bumbling D under extreme pressure and duress, and, in turn, completely stunting our attack. I call this strategy "salting the earth." Kill the the ground, the soil, the ultimate foundation...and nothing will grow. It was incredible to see. We can only hope other teams don't try the same thing, because if they do, we're screwed.

2. Smith and Quincey may be the worst pairing in the league. One of them needs to sit for a game or two or three or four hundred. Brutal. Terrible. Garbage.

3. We have so many borderline useless fourth-line scrubs on this team. Get off your lazy ass, Holland, and do whatever it takes to get Nyquist back in this lineup ASAP. At the very least, we're sorely missing his speed.

4. Babs needs to get over his fear/hatred of kids. Play Tatar, let him run wild on a new Kids Line with Nyquist and Andersson.

1. They will and they should. There's no getting around that we're green on the back end, but the only way to fix that is with experience. The more they get tested now, the better they'll be at the end of the season. Well, either that or we'll know we need to acquire a steady vet on D for the postseason, I guess.

2. Seems like it is mostly Smith to me. He has been the worst D-Man thus far in my opinion. I'm not ready to sell Smith stock yet, but Quincey hasn't looked nearly as bad.

3 and 4, I'm starting to get on board with the youth movement. I definitely think Tatar should be playing. I don't care if a different guy sits for him every game. There are enough...we'll say 'grizzled veterans'... on this team that would probably be better off if they sat some games anyway. Plus, it's not like the current line combos or power play units are exactly working well enough that you wouldn't want to break them up. I'm afraid Nyquist playing will require more injuries, though. I'd also like to see Tootoo playing soon.... and I'm not a big Tootoo guy, but maybe he'll wake some people up.

5. Yeah.... I still feel optomistic that it will get better. At least we've only lost one game that we really should have won (on paper).

Edited by barabbas16, 11 October 2013 - 11:07 AM.

#279 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 11:05 AM

Alfie sucked last night.

esteef

"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#280 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,933 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 11:09 AM

Thoughts.

Doesn't take brilliance to see that.  At the very least, all he had to do was watch footage of how the Blues & Jackets did this to the Wings last season. 

Money on the Board 2014: $5 per series, $5 per sweep, $5 per Kronwalling, $10 per Marchand Kronwalling, $1 per Zetterberg game, $1 per 2013 Calder Cup roster player goal