Drew Miller-Luke Glendening-Jordin Tootoo

Niklas Kronwall-Jonathan Ericsson

Jakub Kindl-Danny DeKeyser

Kyle Quincey-Brian Lashoff

Jimmy Howard (starting)

Jonas Gustavsson

Healthy scratches: Mikael Samuelsson, Tomas Tatar, Brendan Smith

--------------------

And exactly how do you answer it when you ask yourself, Babs?

Babcock declined to say why Tatar isn’t playing.

“He’s a good scorer and we need goals, so why isn’t he in?’’ Babcock said. “I ask myself the same question.’’

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2013/10/brendan_smith_scratched_as_red.html

Babcock declined to say why Tatar isn’t playing.

“He’s a good scorer and we need goals, so why isn’t he in?’’ Babcock said. “I ask myself the same question.’’

So basically Babcock is saying he is not the one who is making decisions?

I think Babs is going to be quite unhappy when he reads what Smith says about being benched. I am glad he is sitting him down....if Smith doesn't understand why he is sitting he isn't mature enough to play.

I personally think Bert has played very well the last 3 games...I hope he adds the extra hands on that line. I'm curious to see how this shake up plays out.

GO WINGS!!!

So basically Babcock is saying he is not the one who is making decisions?

I read it like Tatar isn't scoring....therefore he's not in. It's hard to score on the 4th line but I thought he had a very dismal game against Boston- he was very weak in the defensive zone and his puck possession was disappointing...and I am a Tots fan.

This whole Tatar thing is really starting to get on my nerves. He needs to play, he needs to develop, the Wings need goal scoring...put this guy on the first or second line ASAP. What am I missing, why is something that seems so obvious to me so lost on management?

This whole Tatar thing is really starting to get on my nerves. He needs to play, he needs to develop, the Wings need goal scoring...put this guy on the first or second line ASAP. What am I missing, why is something that seems so obvious to me so lost on management?

Agreed. Same thing with Nyquist - though at least there I understand there are some waiver/cap issues involved. But to not ice the best possible team when you have the players in waiting is just crazy.

What am I missing, why is something that seems so obvious to me so lost on management?

I imagine it's the other way around. We aren't privy to the whole story, and that quote from Babs kind of solidifies for me that there is something more to why Tots isn't playing. Hopefully whatever it is they get it sorted out, because even though I'm not crazy about the guy he can score and has brought awesome energy in the past.

And if Smith doesn't understand why he could possibly be benched, he's more of a moron than I thought.

I read it like Tatar isn't scoring....therefore he's not in. It's hard to score on the 4th line but I thought he had a very dismal game against Boston- he was very weak in the defensive zone and his puck possession was disappointing...and I am a Tots fan.

4th line duties are way different compared to what Tatar used to do in GR and should be doing now with DRW. Put Zetter with Miller and Emmerton and the results will be the same.

I didn't see last game, but in the first 3 I didn't think Smith was so bad that he needed to sit. Not a big deal though, but that comment from Babs about Tatar is a headscratcher. Definitely feels to me it's more a message to management than to Tatar but who knows.

Pretty interesting lines. Not the changes I'd make but could be good.

And if Smith doesn't understand why he could possibly be benched, he's more of a moron than I thought.

Seriously. He comes out and says he doesn't understand what he could do better? How about providing either one of the following: A. any defense whatsoever, or B. any offense whatsoever.

At least Lashoff was fairly solid last season in the games he had, hopefully the break gives Smith something to think about, because he needs to be a lot better.

Current Streaks

Regular-Season Streaks

Overall: 2-game losing streak

Home: 1-game losing streak

All-Time Regular-Season Streaks v. Philadelphia

Overall: 1-game losing streak

Home: 1-game winning streak

Last Ten Games – Current Regular Season

Overall: 2W-2L

Home: 1W-1L

Last Ten Games – Current All-Time Regular Season v. Philadelphia

Overall: 5W-5L

Home: 9W-1L

Consecutive Home / Away Games

This is the last of two consecutive Home games

Record v. Philadelphia

All-time Record v. Philadelphia

All-time, Overall

124G: 47W-56L-21T

All-time, Home v. Philadelphia

63G: 34W-19L-10T

Season Record v. Philadelphia

Overall

This is the first of three games v. Philadelphia this season

This is the first of two Home games v. Philadelphia this season

Record on this Day

October 12

This is the 22nd regular season game played on this day, with the Club’s record in the previous 21 games:

9W-9L-2T-0RT-0OTL-1SOL

This is the 1st regular-season game v. Philadelphia on this day

LGW.

On This Day

Once again, I don't usually include this, but since it's another anniversary...
Fifty-five years ago tonight, New York Rangers Goalie Lorne "Gump" Worsley is injured in the Third Period and is replaced by Red Wings' Assistant Trainer and practice goaltender Julian Klymkiw , allowing two goals in his only NHL appearance
klym.jpg
I know, I know...injured goaltenders, assistant trainers...seems like a pattern

Tonight's Officials

Referees 25-Marc Joannette & 37-Kyle Rehmen 74-Lonnie Cameron & 83-Matt MacPherson

Edited by cusimano_brothers

I finally read the comments from Smith in this article:

@AnsarKhanMLive: Brendan Smith on being scratched, Red Wings lines and D pairs for tonight vs. Flyers | http://t.co/ISgcy4Lx9p http://t.co/ea16zcO8tf

What does he not get?! Like, has he forgotten how to hockey?

tatar not playing cause tootoo is playing, need the physical presences. why do you need to send a message to him. did they honestly expect him to single handedly beat the bruins on the 4th line? i guess em wasnt doing enough so now we get to see a hungry new kid. i do think smith has been a weak link

4th line duties are way different compared to what Tatar used to do in GR and should be doing now with DRW. Put Zetter with Miller and Emmerton and the results will be the same.

4th line duties are clearly much different than top line duties.

What role Tatar should be doing now with the Wings is somewhat up for debate, but ok.

Your second sentence, however, is totally inaccurate in my opinion. Zetterberg is so much more of a complete player than Tatar is. The results would be anything but the same.

I thought Tatar played terribly in his game this year. Defensively unsound, uncharacteristic turn-overs, and this was all against the opposing team's bottom line players. I want the kid to get another crack at the lineup, but based on his first game I would be hesitant to play him in the top 6, against top-6 opponents. I think Babs comments are more toward Tatar needing to step up his game if he wants to play. Fortunately it's a long year, and the roster has been shuffled after every loss so far, so he will have plenty of opportunities to be more responsible on the defensive side of the game.

Anyway, I'm excited to see how this one turns out. Abby and Weiss should be good energy for the second line, and Bert had some unique chemistry with Datsyuk when they've played together in the past.