^Smith still looks so uncomfortable in interviews

He also looks uncomfortable on the ice.

#42 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,016 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 03:22 PM

So I just read the juicy Babs comment everyone's talking about. Very interesting.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#43 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,603 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 03:27 PM

Glad to see Toots in.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#44 wings_fanatic

wings_fanatic

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,094 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 03:45 PM

I dont like Alfie being on the 3rd line... if anything it should be Franzen at least Alfie is trying out there and has made things happen. I rly wanna see Alfie play with Pavs and Hank. 

#45 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,516 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 03:54 PM

Of course Tatar isn't perfect. How will he get better sitting on the pine? Sitting a kid with raw potential in favor of veterans who will not learn any new tricks and just drag the team down isn't smart. But I have to believe Babs knows what he's doing.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#46 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,603 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 03:58 PM

Would love to see Talbot get Kronwalled.

"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#47 Wings_Toledo

Wings_Toledo

Seeing Red

• PipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 03:59 PM

Not real confident in that 3rd line, but I guess we'll see how it pans out.  I'm assuming that Babcock will change up the lines on the fly if things aren't working.

#48 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,603 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 04:01 PM

Anyone going to this one?

#49 dat's sick

dat's sick

Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,335 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 04:04 PM

Yes his shortcomings were everyone else's fault except his.

Its simple.  If you can't play defense, you can't play.  He was a liability on the ice, and I fully expected and agreed with Babs benching him after that performance.  His turnovers weren't the result of playing on the fourth line.  Nor were they the result of him only playing a few minutes.  Nor were they a result of the rest of the team playing poorly.  His decisions with the puck and without the puck were entirely his to make, and for the most part, they were clumsy, ill-timed, poor decisions that didn't produce anything productive for the team, and often ended up with puck on an opponent's stick.

I really disagree with that view of his performance in that game and I'm not even one of the people most upset about him not being in the lineup. 

Basically I think he was put in a position where it's extremely difficult for him to succeed so it's not surprising he didn't do great. How many guys on this team can you put on the 4th line with Emmerton and Miller and expect that line to be productive? Datsyuk and Zetterberg MAYBE, and that's it.

Most likely Tatar will be overthinking everything he does now because he believes he has to set the world on fire in order to stay in the lineup. Most players, especially young ones, actually perform better if they're given some trust by their coach and don't have to play with the pressure of being out of the lineup if they have a bad game. Simple truth is that going by what Tatar did last season both in the NHL and AHL, and by what he did in camp, he should be cemented on one of our top 3 lines this year. He should play 82 games and he should play on the PP.. Like everyone is saying, we're struggling to score goals and we have a guy who LOVES to put pucks in the net on the 4th line or not even in the lineup. Sense, this does not make. 

Anyway, I hope Babcock's comment is directed towards Holland. He needs to make the necessary decisions that enables/forces Babcock to play the best possible lineup, you know, the one that includes two of the best offensive talents we have. 

Edited by dat's sick, 12 October 2013 - 04:07 PM.

#50 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,016 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 04:06 PM

Whoaaa, I didn't know Smith had said all this.

YOU'RE KILLING ME, SMALLS

Don't Toews me, bro!

#51 greenrebellion

greenrebellion

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 04:15 PM

I'm worried that maybe management is keeping him out as trade material...?? He does hold the most value and I think the wings rather hold on to nyquist then Tatar...???

Trade him for what?  We need a young scoring top six winger and Tatar is ready or close to ready to fill that role.

#52 Based

Based

Draftee

• 10 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 04:19 PM

I'm worried that maybe management is keeping him out as trade material...?? He does hold the most value and I think the wings rather hold on to nyquist then Tatar...???

Holland already said a while ago that he was not going anywhere. And if he was trade material he would be playing.

#53 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,603 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 04:22 PM

Trade him for what?  We need a young scoring top six winger and Tatar is ready or close to ready to fill that role.

This, hopefully he gets in more games soon.

#54 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,016 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 04:26 PM

Judging from Babs' comment about Tatar not being in, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Tatar's "off-ice persona" has not endeared him to his head coach. And now that I think about it...is it perhaps a little interesting that Babs says - about a week ago, I think - that he likes Tatar as a player? (Unless memory doesn't serve and that's not in fact what he said. But I'm pretty sure it is.) Then you add Smith's idiocy to the equation, and you look at Glendening (hard-working, "blue-collar," etc.) getting the promotion....Maybe Babs is on a "Red Wings Way" kick. Maybe what's going on with the lines is about attitude and character more than anything else. (See also (?): Tootoo.)

Don't Toews me, bro!

#55 Crashnburnluder

Crashnburnluder

Crashnburnluder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 04:26 PM

Sorry let me try to reiterate. I don't want him
Traded and want him on the line up. What I was trying to say was that quote made it sound like the situation went further then Babcock just wanting to play him. I just kinda was asking the universal question of maybe he is being shopped. I figured keeping him out of the line up would prevent injury and keep any deal that could be in the works from falling through. I'm not sayin it's what I want or that it will happen. Just trying to put my thinking of one scenario that could be in the fold.

If he was getting moved then I would think Tatar plus roster player plus a pick for a more established offensive scorer, but once again I don't think we should not do I want to.

#56 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,603 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 04:31 PM

Judging from Babs' comment about Tatar not being in, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Tatar's "off-ice persona" has not endeared him to his head coach. And now that I think about it...is it perhaps a little interesting that Babs says - about a week ago, I think - that he likes Tatar as a player? (Unless memory doesn't serve and that's not in fact what he said. But I'm pretty sure it is.) Then you add Smith's idiocy to the equation, and you look at Glendening (hard-working, "blue-collar," etc.) getting the promotion....Maybe Babs is on a "Red Wings Way" kick. Maybe what's going on with the lines is about attitude and character more than anything else. (See also (?): Tootoo.)

I haven't heard anything about Tatar's off-ice behavior, so hopefully that isn't the case.

#57 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,220 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 04:40 PM

I don't get the hate on Smith.  Unless it's the same ppl that were hating on Ericsson a couple of years ago and look where he's at now.

#58 LeagueIntegrity

LeagueIntegrity

Prospect

• 31 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 04:43 PM

It's pretty obvious what Babcock's referring to.  It's been known for some time that this team has a glut of NHL-caliber, sub-par forwards, and they'd like to get rid of the ones they can while getting something in return.  Holland's probably told Babcock to showcase them as trade fodder.  I suspect after game 20 (or 10, depending on how bad they do) we'll see a roster resembling the best the Wings can ice.  We'll just have to endure an aggravating early season, which is a shame, because I wanted to see a 24/7 filled with Wings' wins, and not locker-room drama......hmmm, maybe HBO is behind all this to make their show more interesting. 

That being said, I'm not sure why Samuelsson hasn't been sitting more. They can't trade him, and he clearly isn't trying. 

#59 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,016 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 04:44 PM

I haven't heard anything about Tatar's off-ice behavior, so hopefully that isn't the case.

The whole borderline-arrogance thing. That's been the one big knock against him. Well, besides his size and shoddy defense.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#60 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,603 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 06:04 PM

The whole borderline-arrogance thing. That's been the one big knock against him. Well, besides his size and shoddy defense.

Any links?