• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
The Greek

Mantha signed to ELC

Rate this topic

The wings signed mantha to an ELC.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2013/10/red_wings_sign_anthony_mantha.html

Can someone who has a better understanding of the rules please explain the implications of this signing? Can mantha stay in the Q?

Yes, unless he is called up to the Red Wings he has to stay in the Q. There is a transfer agreement between the CHL and the AHL that stipulates a minimum age before they can transfer.

The wings signed mantha to an ELC.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2013/10/red_wings_sign_anthony_mantha.html

Can someone who has a better understanding of the rules please explain the implications of this signing? Can mantha stay in the Q?

Because he's not 20 yet, he either stays in the Q or he has to be up with the Wings.

fyi, he's eligible for the AHL next spring as soon as his season in the Q is done. I expect he'll see at least a few games in GR before the season's over.

Edited by ogreslayer

I look at Mantha as Franzen's replacement, but with way more potential. Hopefully he can make the transition to the AHL when he turns 20 and get on the fast track to the Wings. Happy about this signing, even though it was pretty much expected.

Yeah right, Franzen is getting older and even more useless. Holland is thinking about giving him a raise, and Sammy an extension.

This contract is subject to the Slide Rule, where it will not officially start until Mantha plays* (see below) for Detroit or Grand Rapids (or any other pro team)... so if he stays in the Q all year, the three years of his deal will be 14/15, 15/16, and 16/17. It will not count against the 50-man limit this year as long as he is not called up.

Mantha can stay in the Q with a pro contract. This happens all the time. Frk and Nedomlel were signed last year but stayed in junior.

This situation is precisely why players lose NCAA eligibility if they play in the CHL. The NCAA isn't so much concerned with the (small) pay the CHLers receive, but with the fact that amateur players are playing against players already signed to pro contracts.

*The Wings could call up Mantha and have him play up to 9 games, then send him back to junior and not have his contract officially start. Recently, the Jets did this with Mark Scheifele. The Flames are contemplating keeping Sean Monahan or returning him to junior. The last Wing I can remember who was in that situation was Martin Lapointe.

This contract is subject to the Slide Rule, where it will not officially start until Mantha plays* (see below) for Detroit or Grand Rapids (or any other pro team)... so if he stays in the Q all year, the three years of his deal will be 14/15, 15/16, and 16/17. It will not count against the 50-man limit this year as long as he is not called up.

Mantha can stay in the Q with a pro contract. This happens all the time. Frk and Nedomlel were signed last year but stayed in junior.

This situation is precisely why players lose NCAA eligibility if they play in the CHL. The NCAA isn't so much concerned with the (small) pay the CHLers receive, but with the fact that amateur players are playing against players already signed to pro contracts.

*The Wings could call up Mantha and have him play up to 9 games, then send him back to junior and not have his contract officially start. Recently, the Jets did this with Mark Scheifele. The Flames are contemplating keeping Sean Monahan or returning him to junior. The last Wing I can remember who was in that situation was Martin Lapointe.

Good info, thanks.

Could this be the youngest player that Holland has signed to a contract? I know its just an ELC, but he was just drafted in June and already has a pro contract waiting for him...This kid is the real McCoy and is really on the fast track to the NHL. This could be the first player that makes the Wings club before he "over-ripens" in the Rapids. I am ever so excited to see him in Detroit before he hits 20!

Could this be the youngest player that Holland has signed to a contract? I know its just an ELC, but he was just drafted in June and already has a pro contract waiting for him...This kid is the real McCoy and is really on the fast track to the NHL. This could be the first player that makes the Wings club before he "over-ripens" in the Rapids. I am ever so excited to see him in Detroit before he hits 20!

Think Tats was younger, but seriously excited by the prospect of this young guy!

If Mantha saw time with the Wings before he was 20, I think Tomas Tatar would go on a killing spree.

6'5" 204 with 80 goals in his last 89 games? Can't wait.

Meh, not impressed. I'll start talking notice when he starts scoring backward. Until then he's just another Franzen...soft, floating, floater!

Yeah right, Franzen is getting older and even more useless. Holland is thinking about giving him a raise, and Sammy an extension.

Yeah this is exactly what I was thinking. Mantha is atleast 15 years out from seeing time on the Red Wings. Holland want's to make sure he is fully matured into a past-prime veteran.

Babcock has been real impressed with Sammy and Cleary this season. Apparently going into corners and falling down three times per shift shows him that you must be battling hard. Look for long term contract extensions before the season is over. No use for Tatar and Nyquist so maybe he will trade them both for Selanne.

You people make me chuckle.

How many years left do Sammy, Bert, Alfie, and Cleary ACTUALLY have left on their contracts?

Next year you will be complaining that all we have left is youngsters and why didn't Holland go out and sign more vets.

Just like we all knew (once the Perfect Human retired) last year was a bridge year, this year is sort of a wait for contracts to expire year.

Next year there will be plenty of room for Tatar and Nyquist, they just need to exhibit some patience.

In the case of Tatar I know that has got to suck, but he will be better for it in the long run, and even though the Wings make it tough for prospects to crack the line up, look what happens when they do, unless they demand a ton of cash they are kept around for a long time. And in most cases end up with multiple chances at the cup.

Edited by Opie

Guest Crymson

Mantha currently leads all QMJHL scorers with a whopping 43 points in 17 games. His nearest competition has 31 points in 19 games.

For reference, #1 overall pick Nathan MacKinnon had 75 points in 44 games last season in the Q, and #3 Drouin had 103 points in 50 games. Mantha is on pace for 126 points if he plays 50 games.

Mantha currently leads all QMJHL scorers with a whopping 43 points in 17 games. His nearest competition has 31 points in 19 games.

For reference, #1 overall pick Nathan MacKinnon had 75 points in 44 games last season in the Q, and #3 Drouin had 103 points in 50 games. Mantha is on pace for 126 points if he plays 50 games.

Is this kid the real deal you think? Numbers look good. Edited by MaynardJmzKeenan

Definitely exciting to have a kid like this in the pipeline. We haven't had this kind of scoring talent in our system for a very, very long time.

No idea how I can watch any of his games, anyone in here get to see him play with any regularity?

What. He is just destroying that league :o

Didn't see anything too impressive from him at camp, but I guess it may just have been too soon for him to impress at that level. This kid is gonna be interesting to follow.

What. He is just destroying that league :o

Didn't see anything too impressive from him at camp, but I guess it may just have been too soon for him to impress at that level. This kid is gonna be interesting to follow.

You have to remember he is only 19 years old. He is still 2 years or so from being in Detroit. By that time he will be a 6-5/225 fast skating goal scorer that will drop the gloves. Think Shanahan. yes it will take him a year or 2 to adjust to the NHL but it will happen. The AHL better look out next season!

You have to remember he is only 19 years old. He is still 2 years or so from being in Detroit. By that time he will be a 6-5/225 fast skating goal scorer that will drop the gloves. Think Shanahan. yes it will take him a year or 2 to adjust to the NHL but it will happen. The AHL better look out next season!

From what I hear he shys away from the physical game, but we'll see

Disclosure, I'm a Mooseheads fan living in Halifax. That being said I saw this kid play against the moose after hearing the hype a couple of weeks back. To be honest he didn't stand out on the ice unlike someone like Drouin who just tears it up with speed and skill. He is getting points but I'm not sure what sort of a player he is from what I saw, He got a couple of penalties and one assist in that game in a 4-2 loss for Val-D'or. If anything he is helping that really bad team move into a decent playoff position in the early going. (almost every team in the league qualifies for playoffs in the Q btw only 2 teams fail to make playoffs of the 18, so even if you suck you generally play playoffs)

Drouin and Mackinnon also played for Team Canada in the Juniors last season, so be interesting to see if Mantha makes that team.

He did score 89 points last year though which was impressive and 12 in 9 playoff games.

Disclosure, I'm a Mooseheads fan living in Halifax. That being said I saw this kid play against the moose after hearing the hype a couple of weeks back. To be honest he didn't stand out on the ice unlike someone like Drouin who just tears it up with speed and skill. He is getting points but I'm not sure what sort of a player he is from what I saw, He got a couple of penalties and one assist in that game in a 4-2 loss for Val-D'or. If anything he is helping that really bad team move into a decent playoff position in the early going. (almost every team in the league qualifies for playoffs in the Q btw only 2 teams fail to make playoffs of the 18, so even if you suck you generally play playoffs)

Drouin and Mackinnon also played for Team Canada in the Juniors last season, so be interesting to see if Mantha makes that team.

He did score 89 points last year though which was impressive and 12 in 9 playoff games.

Yeah. I saw him play two nights before this in Charlottetown. I saw the exact same player you're describing.

From what I hear he shys away from the physical game, but we'll see

he plays the same game as Shanny and Perry. Skates, shoots and fights. None of those guys were or are known for lots of hits. Not their job. their job is to put the puck in the net. that being said he is just 19. Yzerman didn't learn to play D until his late 20's when Bowman threatened to trade him.