51 replies to this topic

#21 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 11:11 AM

What. He is just destroying that league :o

Didn't see anything too impressive from him at camp, but I guess it may just have been too soon for him to impress at that level. This kid is gonna be interesting to follow. 

You have to remember he is only 19 years old. He is still 2 years or so from being in Detroit. By that time he will be a 6-5/225 fast skating goal scorer that will drop the gloves. Think Shanahan. yes it will take him a year or 2 to adjust to the NHL but it will happen. The AHL better look out next season!

#22 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,524 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 11:23 AM

You have to remember he is only 19 years old. He is still 2 years or so from being in Detroit. By that time he will be a 6-5/225 fast skating goal scorer that will drop the gloves. Think Shanahan. yes it will take him a year or 2 to adjust to the NHL but it will happen. The AHL better look out next season!

From what I hear he shys away from the physical game, but we'll see

#23 metalkorn

metalkorn

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 11:26 AM

Mantha currently leads all QMJHL scorers with a whopping 43 points in 17 games. His nearest competition has 31 points in 19 games.

For reference, #1 overall pick Nathan MacKinnon had 75 points in 44 games last season in the Q, and #3 Drouin had 103 points in 50 games. Mantha is on pace for 126 points if he plays 50 games.

Disclosure, I'm a Mooseheads fan living in Halifax. That being said I saw this kid play against the moose after hearing the hype a couple of weeks back. To be honest he didn't stand out on the ice unlike someone like Drouin who just tears it up with speed and skill. He is getting points but I'm not sure what sort of a player he is from what I saw, He got a couple of penalties and one assist in that game in a 4-2 loss for Val-D'or. If anything he is helping that really bad team move into a decent playoff position in the early going. (almost every team in the league qualifies for playoffs in the Q btw only 2 teams fail to make playoffs of the 18, so even if you suck you generally play playoffs)

Drouin and Mackinnon also played for Team Canada in the Juniors last season, so be interesting to see if Mantha makes that team.

He did score 89 points last year though which was impressive and 12 in 9 playoff games.

#24 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,970 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 11:35 AM

Disclosure, I'm a Mooseheads fan living in Halifax. That being said I saw this kid play against the moose after hearing the hype a couple of weeks back. To be honest he didn't stand out on the ice unlike someone like Drouin who just tears it up with speed and skill. He is getting points but I'm not sure what sort of a player he is from what I saw, He got a couple of penalties and one assist in that game in a 4-2 loss for Val-D'or. If anything he is helping that really bad team move into a decent playoff position in the early going. (almost every team in the league qualifies for playoffs in the Q btw only 2 teams fail to make playoffs of the 18, so even if you suck you generally play playoffs)

Drouin and Mackinnon also played for Team Canada in the Juniors last season, so be interesting to see if Mantha makes that team.

He did score 89 points last year though which was impressive and 12 in 9 playoff games.

Yeah. I saw him play two nights before this in Charlottetown. I saw the exact same player you're describing.

"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#25 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 01:34 PM

From what I hear he shys away from the physical game, but we'll see

he plays the same game as Shanny and Perry. Skates, shoots and fights. None of those guys were or are known for lots of hits. Not their job. their job is to put the puck in the net. that being said he is just 19. Yzerman didn't learn to play D until his late 20's when Bowman threatened to trade him.

#26 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,524 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 02:21 PM

he plays the same game as Shanny and Perry. Skates, shoots and fights. None of those guys were or are known for lots of hits. Not their job. their job is to put the puck in the net. that being said he is just 19. Yzerman didn't learn to play D until his late 20's when Bowman threatened to trade him.

Shanny and Perry are top flight power forwards. Mantha has been exclusivley described as a pure goal scorer, or sniper if you will. "Not physical despite his sizeable 6-foot-4 frame" "When a player with a big strong frame like Mantha doesn't use his size on the boards consistently it raises a red flag."

Shanny and Perry are not supposed to be hitters you're correct there, but they were still physical guys with a lot of PIMs, and at least Perry (I don't have the stats for Shanny) averages about a hit a game. Last season Mantha only had 3 fights, so I don't know why you think he will be dropping the gloves all the time in the near future.

He's a Daniel Sedin type. Fast, smart, talented, not physical.

#27 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 06:49 PM

Question: Is this domination good for his progression as a player? There comes a point where being the big fish in the small pond isn't always good. 

Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt

#28 dropkickshanahans

dropkickshanahans

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 07:01 PM

Question: Is this domination good for his progression as a player? There comes a point where being the big fish in the small pond isn't always good. 

oddball_zps284ce1ea.jpg

#29 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 07:24 PM

oddball_zps284ce1ea.jpg

The reason I ask is because I believe the CHL/AHL transfer agreement is in bad need of revision because it causes situations like this. Mantha would be, in my mind, better served playing in the AHL where he can play against better talent and adjust to a game against adults with more of an NHL pace.

Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt

#30 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 07:31 PM

I'd be surprised to find out that any current star who came out of the Canadian junior leagues did NOT produce through the roof.

In other words, no.

#31 dropkickshanahans

dropkickshanahans

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 07:45 PM

The reason I ask is because I believe the CHL/AHL transfer agreement is in bad need of revision because it causes situations like this. Mantha would be, in my mind, better served playing in the AHL where he can play against better talent and adjust to a game against adults with more of an NHL pace.

That would be better and I wish he could be playing in the AHL right now as well, but I don't think his progress is being hampered too much. He still had to improve on his competitive pace and so far he's answering that well. Now he just has to keep it up until the season's over and bring it over into the AHL for the remainder of that season. Now if he was stuck in the Q for another season, then yes I think that'd be a waste.

#32 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,226 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 07:59 PM

That would be better and I wish he could be playing in the AHL right now as well, but I don't think his progress is being hampered too much. He still had to improve on his competitive pace and so far he's answering that well. Now he just has to keep it up until the season's over and bring it over into the AHL for the remainder of that season. Now if he was stuck in the Q for another season, then yes I think that'd be a waste.

Probably for the best anyway. The griffins would be over the 50 man limit with him, and I would absolutely hate to see a guy like nyquist have to go to the nhl so a top prospect can join the ahl...

#33 RusDRW

RusDRW

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 01:50 AM

Posts like this remind me how old I am. I actually remember Shanny in his prime. He was everything you could ask from a player. He hit a lot, fought, had a good speed, nice dangles, good vision and in general was a player any opposing team was afraid in many different ways. There were so few guys like him since then and actually only Bert in his prime is comparable (perhaps, Getzlaf of 2008-2010, Neely as well but that was earlier). If Mantha could be half of a player Shanny was that would be a steal.

Sweet. This dude was brought here for one reason, to punch people in the head - every other thing that he can do, other Wings can do better. I like that we have a head-puncher. The league has other, better head-punchers, but this one is ours. Better than nothing. Good work, Kenny!

© mikah

#34 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,800 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 02:12 PM

I'd be surprised to find out that any current star who came out of the Canadian junior leagues did NOT produce through the roof.

In other words, no.

There has to be a point in which someone has to say "alright what is this kid doing here?!"...43 in 17 is pretty close but not there yet.

....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#35 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,085 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 02:34 PM

Posts like this remind me how old I am. I actually remember Shanny in his prime. He was everything you could ask from a player. He hit a lot, fought, had a good speed, nice dangles, good vision and in general was a player any opposing team was afraid in many different ways. There were so few guys like him since then and actually only Bert in his prime is comparable (perhaps, Getzlaf of 2008-2010, Neely as well but that was earlier). If Mantha could be half of a player Shanny was that would be a steal.

I remember Shanny in his prime and I'm relatively young. So don't feel too bad about that.

Shanny - in his prime - was a force to be reckoned with, just an absolute beast of a player. If the Coffey trade doesn't happen, we probably don't win either of those back-to-back Cups.

I think one of the most remarkable things about him is that he was still scoring 30-40 goals when he was way past his prime. If any one of our top scorers (so...um...Datsyuk or Zetterberg) were to score 40 goals this season, we'd call it a miracle.

As for Mantha, I'd like to see him on the Wings ASAP. Have Babs tell him that he needs to score 50 goals in his rookie season or his NHL career will be finished.

Edited by Dabura, 06 November 2013 - 04:15 PM.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#36 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 04:12 PM

I remember Shanny in his prime and I'm relatively young. So don't feel too bad about that.

Shanny - in his pime - was a force to be reckoned with, just an absolute beast of a player. If the Coffey trade doesn't happen, we probably don't win either of those back-to-back Cups.

I think one of the most remarkable things about him is that he was still scoring 30-40 goals when he was way past his prime. If any one of our top scorers (so...um...Datsyuk or Zetterberg) were to score 40 goals this season, we'd call it a miracle.

As for Mantha, I'd like to see him on the Wings ASAP. Have Babs tell him that he needs to score 50 goals in his rookie season or his NHL career will be finished.

Shanahan was arguably at the pinnacle of his career when he joined the Red Wings. People often forget that 1996-1997 was Shanny's tenth full season in the league (counting the lockout-shortened 1995 campaign). Power forwards do not age well, and this showed with Shanahan. He continued scoring---albeit not at quite as torrid a pace---but the intensity of his physical game decreased steadily; by the time the lockout rolled around, he was more a sniper than a power forward. In retrospect, of course, this this was the correct move for him; his body would have given out on him far earlier had he done otherwise.

#37 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,085 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 04:36 PM

Shanahan was arguably at the pinnacle of his career when he joined the Red Wings. People often forget that 1996-1997 was Shanny's tenth full season in the league (counting the lockout-shortened 1995 campaign). Power forwards do not age well, and this showed with Shanahan. He continued scoring---albeit not at quite as torrid a pace---but the intensity of his physical game decreased steadily; by the time the lockout rolled around, he was more a sniper than a power forward. In retrospect, of course, this this was the correct move for him; his body would have given out on him far earlier had he done otherwise.

Yep.

I guess the implied point I was making, re: his later days, is that he'd successfully changed his game, the type of player he was - which is a fairly impressive accomplishment, especially when you consider just how effective he really was as a power forward and then as a sniper.

I see Iginla trying to make essentially the same transition, and it's not going quite as well for him. And that makes me appreciate Shanny's ttly mad skillz that much more.

Now, Mantha. I don't know if it's really fair to use PS (Prime Shanahan) as a projection for Mantha. The pure scoring ability seems to be there, but the snarl and "compete" that PS had...I don't see any traces of that in Mantha's game right now. Now, admittedly, I haven't seen a whole lot of Mantha. But I think it's fair to say that, at this point in time, SS (Sniper Shanahan) is a more realistic comparison-projection.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#38 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 05:06 PM

Yep.

I guess the implied point I was making, re: his later days, is that he'd successfully changed his game, the type of player he was - which is a fairly impressive accomplishment, especially when you consider just how effective he really was as a power forward and then as a sniper.

I see Iginla trying to make essentially the same transition, and it's not going quite as well for him. And that makes me appreciate Shanny's ttly mad skillz that much more.

Now, Mantha. I don't know if it's really fair to use PS (Prime Shanahan) as a projection for Mantha. The pure scoring ability seems to be there, but the snarl and "compete" that PS had...I don't see any traces of that in Mantha's game right now. Now, admittedly, I haven't seen a whole lot of Mantha. But I think it's fair to say that, at this point in time, SS (Sniper Shanahan) is a more realistic comparison-projection.

He may be more of a Michael Ryder type, albeit significantly larger.

Edited by Crymson, 06 November 2013 - 05:36 PM.

#39 mjtm77

mjtm77

mjtm77

• PipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 05:14 PM

I have watched allot of hockey in the QMJHL, WHL, OHL.

Sure Mantha is putting up allot of points and killing the score sheet  but keep the following in mind.

1. He is almost a year older then his fellow draft class. He got cut off by 1 day!

2. He is playing in the QMJHL which is the weakest league in the CHL by far. Allot of players light it up there and are a complete disappointment come the National Hockey League. Scouts are weary when drafting players from the QMJHL.

I hope just like all of you guys that we have a stud but when I watch him play his game just looks "meh"  really struggles with playing hard. To me its almost like "as long as he scores his goals then he doesn't have top compete"

I see allot of Johan Franzen in his game now (floating around). If he Booms we could see a Thomas Vanek type player. If he busts something along the lines of how Michael Ryder plays now days.

Edit- Pick I really like is Hunter Shinkaruk

Edited by mjtm77, 06 November 2013 - 05:17 PM.

Posted Image

#40 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 05:28 PM

Yeah, I'm not so sure Mantha is the "real deal."  Doesn't everyone tear up the juniors?  

Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.