Jump to content


Photo
- - - - -

Mantha signed to ELC


  • Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#41 Crymson

Crymson

    Ninjelephant

  • Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts
  • Location:Denver, CO, USA

Posted 06 November 2013 - 05:36 PM

Yeah, I'm not so sure Mantha is the "real deal."  Doesn't everyone tear up the juniors?  

 

Nope.



#42 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

    London Lions Captain

  • Gold Booster
  • 1,718 posts
  • Location:London, Ontario

Posted 06 November 2013 - 05:49 PM

Yeah, I'm not so sure Mantha is the "real deal."  Doesn't everyone tear up the juniors?  

 

If everyone did it....then it wouldn't be referred to as "tearing it up".  It would be average.


"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi
 
When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#43 Echolalia

Echolalia

    Legend

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,863 posts
  • Location:fab ferndale

Posted 06 November 2013 - 06:48 PM

Yeah, I'm not so sure Mantha is the "real deal."  Doesn't everyone tear up the juniors?  

 

The ones who go on to have NHL careers, typically.  Some of the top scorers fizzle out in the AHL, and some of those that make it to the NHL fizzle out there.  What's promising about this kid is how immensely he seems to be tearing it up.  As of right now, he has 43 points (20g, 23a) in 17 games.  The guy who is second place in the league is at 33 points in 20 games.  As Crymson mentioned earlier "#1 overall pick Nathan MacKinnon had 75 points in 44 games last season in the Q, and #3 Drouin had 103 points in 50 games. Mantha is on pace for 126 points if he plays 50 games."

It definitely doesn't guarantee that he is going to be a star at the NHL level or even succeed as a third liner.  That has yet to be seen.  But what it does show is that at the very least, Mantha has the potential to really be a difference maker for the Red Wings.  And besides, when you're a Wings fan who hasn't seen a top 10 pick in 100 years, these kind of players are all we have to get excited about.



#44 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

    Healthy Scratch

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,094 posts
  • Location:Windsor, Ontario

Posted 06 November 2013 - 07:25 PM

Yeah, I'm not so sure Mantha is the "real deal."  Doesn't everyone tear up the juniors?  


If everyone did, then by theory, no one would be tearing it up. But not too many players get 43 points in 17 games.

#45 mjtm77

mjtm77

    mjtm77

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 10:30 PM

If everyone did, then by theory, no one would be tearing it up. But not too many players get 43 points in 17 games.


The level of hockey in the Q is substantially lower.
Posted Image

#46 Nevermind

Nevermind

    2nd Line Scorer

  • Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts
  • Location:Hockeytown, USA

Posted 06 November 2013 - 11:25 PM

 

Nope.

 

 

If everyone did, then by theory, no one would be tearing it up. But not too many players get 43 points in 17 games.

 

Yeah, but only about 5% of major junior players make it to the show.

 

And obviously a substantially higher percentage of that 5% would have torn it up compared to the remaining 95% of major junior hockey players.

 

EDIT:  As for the topic--Mantha strikes me as a Jeff Carter type of player. Someone who can score a lot of goals--but doesn't really bring any other dimensions.


Edited by Nevermind, 06 November 2013 - 11:27 PM.


#47 hillbillywingsfan

hillbillywingsfan

    Awww poor butch

  • Gold Booster
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 09:48 AM

 

 

 

Yeah, but only about 5% of major junior players make it to the show.

 

And obviously a substantially higher percentage of that 5% would have torn it up compared to the remaining 95% of major junior hockey players.

 

EDIT:  As for the topic--Mantha strikes me as a Jeff Carter type of player. Someone who can score a lot of goals--but doesn't really bring any other dimensions.

Which is something that we need desperately on this team=)


msg-10491-1258682020.jpg


I LIVE IN TEXAS SO I DON'T DESERVE HOCKEY

#48 metalkorn

metalkorn

    3rd Line Checker

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • 451 posts
  • Location:Halifax, Nova Scotia

Posted 07 November 2013 - 10:03 AM

The level of hockey in the Q is substantially lower.

Which is obviously why Mackinnon and Drouin were drafted in the top 3 last year right?



#49 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

    1st Line All-Star

  • HoF Booster
  • 1,959 posts
  • Location:Indianapolis

Posted 07 November 2013 - 10:49 AM

Yeah, I'm not so sure Mantha is the "real deal."  Doesn't everyone tear up the juniors?  

 

Maltby was a 50 goal scorer in juniors :D

 

As far as Mantha, I really don't see him projecting out as a power forward.  Much better chance that Martin Frk becomes the Wings' power forward of the future than Mantha.



#50 Dabura

Dabura

    Everydayer

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,999 posts
  • Location:In an octopus's garden

Posted 07 November 2013 - 11:27 AM

Maltby was a 50 goal scorer in juniors :D

 

As far as Mantha, I really don't see him projecting out as a power forward.  Much better chance that Martin Frk becomes the Wings' power forward of the future than Mantha.

 

I'm hoping Jurco can be that guy for us.

 

Also, did you know Maltby was a 50-goal scorer in juniors?


Don't Toews me, bro!


#51 mjtm77

mjtm77

    mjtm77

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 02:17 PM

Which is obviously why Mackinnon and Drouin were drafted in the top 3 last year right?

And Crosby was drafted number 1, There are exceptions. I am not putting Mantha down but the Q is a weaker league. At best we will see something like a Vanek or a Carter at worst a 3rd line bust. All I am saying his he wouldn't have the same numbers in the OHL. Also do you people not get he was a 94 birthdate player that missed the cut off by 1 day? he should have been drafted in 2012 and if he was its a no brainer he would be putting up numbers this good two years later. I for one have watched him play allot.


Posted Image

#52 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

    Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,179 posts
  • Location:Winnipeg, MB

Posted 07 November 2013 - 02:28 PM

 

Maltby was a 50 goal scorer in juniors :D

 

As far as Mantha, I really don't see him projecting out as a power forward.  Much better chance that Martin Frk becomes the Wings' power forward of the future than Mantha.

 

 

I'm hoping Jurco can be that guy for us.

 

Also, did you know Maltby was a 50-goal scorer in juniors?

I think that Frk and Jurco could be a good tandem and both live up to the power forward role.  I can't wait for a Wings team that hopefully will have Nyquist, Jurco, Tatar, Mantha and Frk.  I just hope that team still has Datsyuk and Zetterberg.  Wishful thinking, but with a hopeful departure this summer for Cleary, Sammy, Tuzzi, Miller, Eaves, that leaves room for some top prospects to actually have a 1% chance of making the Wings out of camp, should they be the best player for the spot.


And Crosby was drafted number 1, There are exceptions. I am not putting Mantha down but the Q is a weaker league. At best we will see something like a Vanek or a Carter at worst a 3rd line bust. All I am saying his he wouldn't have the same numbers in the OHL. Also do you people not get he was a 94 birthdate player that missed the cut off by 1 day? he should have been drafted in 2012 and if he was its a no brainer he would be putting up numbers this good two years later. I for one have watched him play allot.

Crosby played in the Q, so did Mario Lemieux...


Free darkmanx!

 

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag






Similar Topics Collapse

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users