• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
T.Low

Monday 1 PM start time?

Rate this topic

It's for me.

Gary and I were having lunch last summer and I mentioned that I work evenings and have to miss games. He said that he'd like to put one in the afternoon for me, but that people wouldn't be home to see it.

I told him to have one on the 14th because it's Thanksgiving in Canada. Once we established that Canada is a country north (mostly) of the US, and that they watch hockey there and spend money on the sport, he agreed that revenue was good, so the date was set.

I told him to be sure to have two Canadian teams, but he doesn't remember that the league has any since the only time that he pays attention is when being booed when giving the silvery thing that's taller than he is to a smelly man in shorts and long socks (at least that's the part that he sees).

I assured him that if he had to use two American teams for the game, that it would be ok since it's Columbus Day in the US. Despite his obvious marketing talent, I managed to convince him that Columbus playing on Columbus Day would not mean that the league would get over 90% of the television market because Columbus (the team) sucks.

He was amazed to learn that Columbus Day was not named after the BJ's (a subject near and dear to his heart - or the organ that stands in for one in his case).

Upon learning that all school children in the US learn (erroneously) that Columbus discovered America, he thought that this man Columbus deserved a daytime game to commemorate his great feat.

It was a beautiful moment. Bettman actually showed some emotion when he pondered what would have happened had Columbus not been the first person in America (see erroneous data above). His heart broke at the thought of all of those buildings in New York that would be sitting empty since there were no people here before Columbus (see erroneous data above). The loss of revenue floored him, and he declared that a daytime game was indeed proper and fitting.

So now you know.

If it's because of the Canadian Thanksgiving, someone should be fired... If it's because Columbus day is some kind of bigger holiday in Boston than it is for the rest of the country than that would be understandable. Either way it's dumb I won't get to watch while I'm at work. :glare:

Guest Crymson

Doesn't appear to be a typo, what's the deal with a Monday matinee? Making room for Tigers and Red Sox that evening?

It's Columbus Day. The NHL does this every season.

That's 10 AM out of here. I'll be having second breakfast and watching the game. Ha ha

What about elevenses? Luncheon? Afternoon tea? Dinner? Supper?

[quote name="Crymson" post="2444018" timestamp=

What about elevenses? Luncheon? Afternoon tea? Dinner? Supper?

If you eat 2nd breakfast, then you can skip lunch for a nooner. Unless you have a tenner, then you go ahead and eat lunch.

I'm sure you know what a nooner is. And of course, tenner is a nooner, only sooner.

I've noticed them doing this, but it was never the Wings so I didn't care. I'm just curious what my boss is going to say when I take an early lunch so I can be back at work in time for puck drop to have this on the 70" in the conference room.

Oh! I just remembered! Tomorrow in Texas, it's "Take a North Dakotan to Work Day". I'll meet you in the conference room.

Guest Crymson

If you eat 2nd breakfast, then you can skip lunch for a nooner. Unless you have a tenner, then you go ahead and eat lunch.

I'm sure you know what a nooner is. And of course, tenner is a nooner, only sooner.

Mine was a reference to Lord of the Rings.

Someone should inform the NHL that Columbus Day is not an off day for most businesses in America.

Hey, why shouldn't we celebrate a guy who set the stage for the wholesale exploitation, murder, and enslavement of the natives and brought syphilis overseas to Europe?

I've noticed them doing this, but it was never the Wings so I didn't care.

I never noticed, since like you said, it didn't affect us.

I thought it was some Canadian thanksgiving thing, lol.

That's begs the question though...why do this on a day when pretty much everyone in the country has to work?

Edited by sleepwalker

Doesn't appear to be a typo, what's the deal with a Monday matinee? Making room for Tigers and Red Sox that evening?

That's 10 AM out of here. I'll be having second breakfast and watching the game. Ha ha

Liked purely for the reference to Second Breakfast :)

I'll be having my tea for what its worth :)

What's more traditional than Detroit playing on Thanksgiving? We've been doing it since the 1930's.

Granted it's the Lions and it's the US Thanksgiving, but you'd think people were unaware of the concept.

Now we know how the Canadians feel when the Lions play on their workday.

What's more traditional than Detroit playing on Thanksgiving? We've been doing it since the 1930's.

Granted it's the Lions and it's the US Thanksgiving, but you'd think people were unaware of the concept.

Now we know how the Canadians feel when the Lions play on their workday.

We don't care that much, now if our hockey teams played on a workday at 1pm, you might see some riots

The afternoon Columbus Day games have been going on for years now. Do you guys all have amnesia?

Also, how is this much different from people going to a Tigers game on a weekday afternoon? There are a lot of suits and other people taking a "three-period-lunch" at these usually.