• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#21 marcaractac

marcaractac

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,373 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 09:22 PM

Not at all.  Just depends on what we get in return.  

And is Franzen even part of the long run?  He's not exactly 25.  

You do realize that the wings would be absolutely nailed with a huge cap hit for a couple years when he retires before his contract is up, right? buying him out is the only option.

#22 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 10:38 PM

You do realize that the wings would be absolutely nailed with a huge cap hit for a couple years when he retires before his contract is up, right? buying him out is the only option.

No, I did not realize that. And I don't understand how there can be any such agreement. It sounds absolutely ridiculous.

That wouldn't be a trade at all, it would be like a glorified wife swap where you are stll legally married to the wife you want to be done with. Wtf?

#23 mjtm77

mjtm77

mjtm77

• PipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 11:28 PM

No, I did not realize that. And I don't understand how there can be any such agreement. It sounds absolutely ridiculous.

That wouldn't be a trade at all, it would be like a glorified wife swap where you are stll legally married to the wife you want to be done with. Wtf?

It's nice to dream but rules are rules. Mule is not going anywhere and yes we will resign Cleary To a long term deal at the end of the season
Posted Image

#24 PumpkinEscobar

PumpkinEscobar

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 12:05 AM

I thought if someone signs a contract before age 35 and retires the years remaining were voided and didn't count against the cap such was the case with Rafalski

#25 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,874 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 12:44 AM

I thought if someone signs a contract before age 35 and retires the years remaining were voided and didn't count against the cap such was the case with Rafalski

new cba, new rules. it is stupid. If another team takes on that contract, they should be the ones forced to deal with the consequences, they took the risk. If you buy a car, and it dies out on you, the guy who sold you the car doesn't pay your maintenance, but I digress. Old contracts should have been grandfathered in

#26 RyanBarnes!

RyanBarnes!

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,977 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 01:57 AM

Cant give up on Smith yet. But Red Wings need speed and work ethic more than defense in my opinion. Ryan Callahan or Brandon Dubinsky type players.
"Joey (Kocur) has no fear" -Lyndon Byers
"Empty-net goals are for homos" -Al Iafrate

#27 marcaractac

marcaractac

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,373 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 04:49 AM

This is the case yes, but there was a rule thrown in to the new CBA to punish GM's who signed players to these lifetime contracts with low salary years tacked on the end to lower the cap hit. it is possible to be stuck with a cap hit pushing 10 mil a year if franzen retired at the right time. not sure how much of that the Wings would be on the hook for if he were to be traded, but it would not be good. even if he remains a Wing for life and retires before his contract is up it will be an issue for the team. buying him out is the only way to avoid this. the only other way to avoid it is eventually having a 40+ year old franzen on the team.

I wanna see him off this team as much as the next guy. but trading him would just lead to him causing an even bigger headache for wings fans down the road than he currently ever has.

Edited by marcaractac, 14 October 2013 - 04:53 AM.

#28 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,107 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 05:21 AM

Would absolutely love Callahan, but he's one of the last guys I'd expect to be traded (anytime soon, at least).

But then, no one - NO ONE - expected Daniel Alfredsson to up and leave Ottawa, so ya never know. Therefore, Franzen and Smith will be traded. Huzzah!

Next best thing: we get a time machine and get ourselves an older Smith. 4-5 years from now sounds about right.

I'm not sure how a time machine would help the Franzen situation, but I'm working on it.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#29 AtlantaHotWings

AtlantaHotWings

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 05:35 AM

Would absolutely love Callahan, but he's one of the last guys I'd expect to be traded (anytime soon, at least).

But then, no one - NO ONE - expected Daniel Alfredsson to up and leave Ottawa, so ya never know. Therefore, Franzen and Smith will be traded. Huzzah!

Next best thing: we get a time machine and get ourselves an older Smith. 4-5 years from now sounds about right.

I'm not sure how a time machine would help the Franzen situation, but I'm working on it.

If we get a time machine built we go get 1997 Shanny and Feds and Lids and Stevie and Vladdy no reason to trade simply waive Sammy and others we don't like
"Wakie, wakie hands off Snakie" - Jason Lee of Earl

#30 legaleaglewingsfan

legaleaglewingsfan

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 07:05 AM

Go back in time and show KH the quote from franzen about not being a scorer and then hold him at gunpoint while he re-signs Hossa instead.

#31 b.shanafan14

b.shanafan14

One good Swede deserves another!

• Silver Booster
  • 2,872 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 08:29 AM

Let's just hope the Coyote's scouting department is too lazy to update their reports every year and still have Smith as the highly-toted prospect tearing it up at Wisconsin, and Franzen is still the goal-scoring beast dubbed the Mule by the great Steve Yzerman. It MIGHT just work then...

#32 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,107 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 09:26 AM

Go back in time and show KH the quote from franzen about not being a scorer and then hold him at gunpoint while he re-signs Hossa instead.

That, and/or we bring back - or, um, forward - the Franzen from the Avs series. Hard to believe now that there was a time when he could single-handedly win a whole round for us like that.

If we get a time machine built we go get 1997 Shanny and Feds and Lids and Stevie and Vladdy no reason to trade simply waive Sammy and others we don't like

True.

Edited by Dabura, 14 October 2013 - 09:26 AM.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#33 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,593 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 09:29 AM

It will take far more than that to pry OEL away from Phoenix. He's set to become a premiere defenseman in this league. Good luck getting Edler and Kassian out of that package, too; the Canucks are high on Kassian, and Edler is on the top pairing over there.

Besides, as GMR has mentioned, we'd still be down one scoring winger.

Absolutely. As much as a it pains me to agree with you. 

Phoenix, especially with the new ownership, is not going to give up a future franchise player. They want OEL to be the face of the team after Doan retires and play there the next 17 seasons or more. 

#34 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,874 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 10:17 AM

Absolutely. As much as a it pains me to agree with you. 

Phoenix, especially with the new ownership, is not going to give up a future franchise player. They want OEL to be the face of the team after Doan retires and play there the next 17 seasons or more. 

Wouldn't that require them having a team for 17 more seasons? Or am I missing something?

This is the case yes, but there was a rule thrown in to the new CBA to punish GM's who signed players to these lifetime contracts with low salary years tacked on the end to lower the cap hit. it is possible to be stuck with a cap hit pushing 10 mil a year if franzen retired at the right time. not sure how much of that the Wings would be on the hook for if he were to be traded, but it would not be good. even if he remains a Wing for life and retires before his contract is up it will be an issue for the team. buying him out is the only way to avoid this. the only other way to avoid it is eventually having a 40+ year old franzen on the team.

I wanna see him off this team as much as the next guy. but trading him would just lead to him causing an even bigger headache for wings fans down the road than he currently ever has.

His contract would be up when he is 39

#35 Kira

Kira

"I hope you're not from KGB"

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 10:23 AM

Why can't we find some unsuspecting suckers to trade Cleary to?  Seriously, I wish he wouldn't have bothered to come back.

Posted Image

#36 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 10:27 AM

It's the Cap Recapture Rule, also known as the Luongo Rule, which ends up recapturing the cap advantage from the early years in those "lifetime" contracts & adds it to a team's salary cap over the remaining years of the contract if the player retires before it's up.  You can play around w/ Franzen scenarios here:  http://www.capgeek.c...layer_submit=on

Personal opinion, if Mule doesn't get his ass in gear this season, he very well could be looking at a compliance buyout come June as improbable as that once seemed. 

#37 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,874 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 10:28 AM

Cleary is on pace to cruise to a nice 16 point season :)

#38 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 10:30 AM

Wouldn't that require them having a team for 17 more seasons? Or am I missing something?

His contract would be up when he is 39

Franzen turns 40 in December of 2019 so he'll be 40 when his contract expires.

#39 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,874 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 10:46 AM

Franzen turns 40 in December of 2019 so he'll be 40 when his contract expires.

You are correct, I apologize, but he stillborn be forty-something, just forty

#40 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 11:01 AM

Cant give up on Smith yet. But Red Wings need speed and work ethic more than defense in my opinion. Ryan Callahan or Brandon Dubinsky type players.

Ryan Callahan is a perfect example of what the Wings need. Especially with Helm out constantly.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.