• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#41 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,088 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 11:16 AM

Ryan Callahan is a perfect example of what the Wings need. Especially with Helm out constantly.

Agreed.

Secretly I'm hoping the Rangers lose the rest of their games this season and we somehow get Callahan and Girardi in the offseason.

I'm a dreamer.

Edited by Dabura, 14 October 2013 - 11:16 AM.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#42 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,940 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 11:27 AM

It's the Cap Recapture Rule, also known as the Luongo Rule, which ends up recapturing the cap advantage from the early years in those "lifetime" contracts & adds it to a team's salary cap over the remaining years of the contract if the player retires before it's up.  You can play around w/ Franzen scenarios here:  http://www.capgeek.c...layer_submit=on

Personal opinion, if Mule doesn't get his ass in gear this season, he very well could be looking at a compliance buyout come June as improbable as that once seemed. 

Thanks for the explanation, but that is the part that I did understand. what I did not know was that the liability stayed after the player was traded

#43 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 11:34 AM

Thanks for the explanation, but that is the part that I did understand. what I did not know was that the liability stayed after the player was traded

The penalty applies to any team that received a cap advantage from one of those long term contracts, even if the player is traded.  The only way the Wings can avoid the risk of carrying a cap hit from Franzen retiring early is to do a buyout. 

Edited by ogreslayer, 14 October 2013 - 11:34 AM.

#44 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,199 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 11:54 AM

Agreed.

Secretly I'm hoping the Rangers lose the rest of their games this season and we somehow get Callahan and Girardi in the offseason.

I'm a dreamer.

I'd probably poop myself. Hopefully next year we have one of the younger teams in the league where those 2 would be considered old. Time to lose the old over the hill vets and spend money on good vets and young talent.

Agreed.

I'm a dreamer.

I'd probably poop myself. Hopefully next year we have one of the younger teams in the league where those 2 would be considered old. Time to lose the old over the hill vets and spend money on good vets and young talent.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#45 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,776 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 12:50 PM

Yeah Gary made sure to get that in in order to punish anyone who tried to circumvent the cap in the past.

Back on topic..no sense in listing franchise guys or captains of other teams. Its hard enough to make a trade let alone one of those types of trades.

Maybe take a chance on a guy like Ryan Malone.  Big, slow, injury-prone and well into his 30s.  Seems like the Wings style lol

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#46 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,564 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 12:06 AM

Wouldn't that require them having a team for 17 more seasons? Or am I missing something?

So you seriously think a franchise will be dissolved? Lol. Contracts aren't pinned to geographic locations. He'll finish his career in Quebec or Seattle.

#47 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,088 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 05:08 AM

You guys are a buncha buzz kills. Shame on you. :nono:

There's nothing to say we can't and won't snag a key piece (at some point in the extremely distant future). Maybe not a Dustin Brown, and maybe not for Johan Franzen, but it's not like we're locked out of any and all potential trades of significance forever. I know, I know - "That's just not how it's done these days." But I also know (or, believe very strongly) that Holland has little "faith in the farm," despite all his claims to the contrary. Plus, people do still make trades. (See: Nill, Jim.)

SO SHUT UP. WE'RE GETTING GRETZKY

Don't Toews me, bro!

#48 legaleaglewingsfan

legaleaglewingsfan

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 07:11 AM

You guys are a buncha buzz kills. Shame on you. :nono:

There's nothing to say we can't and won't snag a key piece (at some point in the extremely distant future). Maybe not a Dustin Brown, and maybe not for Johan Franzen, but it's not like we're locked out of any and all potential trades of significance forever. I know, I know - "That's just not how it's done these days." But I also know (or, believe very strongly) that Holland has little "faith in the farm," despite all his claims to the contrary. Plus, people do still make trades. (See: Nill, Jim.)

SO SHUT UP. WE'RE GETTING GRETZKY

Gretzky now or Gretzky circa 1980's? Can we trade Mule for Gretzky's daughter?  :w00t:

#49 AtomicPunk

AtomicPunk

Nobody rules these streets at night like me...

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,099 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 01:47 PM

I stopped reading at "for something good". How can you evaluate that trade?

I am a victim of the science age...the underground.

Feed the Swede! - RETIRED 2012

#50 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,088 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 02:11 PM

I stopped reading at "for something good". How can you evaluate that trade?

Basically I was leaving it up to you guys to fill in the blank. I figured it's generally accepted that we could really use a top defenseman, so I guess the question is essentially "Would you be willing to part with Franzen and Smith if it meant landing That Elite Defenseman we need (assuming you agree we need him. And if you don't, then make him a scoring winger. There's no gun to your head here)?"

Then again, "Would you trade Franzen and Smith for [I'M NOT TELLING!!!]?" is a pretty cool question. Very new-age.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#51 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,776 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 04:16 PM

Franzen + Quincey

For

Simmonds + Meszaros

Get er done Kenny

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#52 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,088 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 12:01 PM

Panthers ready to trade just about anyone

Don't Toews me, bro!

#53 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,705 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 12:16 PM

I'll take Dmitry Kulikov thank you very much.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#54 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,199 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 01:44 PM

Let's just hope the Coyote's scouting department is too lazy to update their reports every year and still have Smith as the highly-toted prospect tearing it up at Wisconsin, and Franzen is still the goal-scoring beast dubbed the Mule by the great Steve Yzerman. It MIGHT just work then...

After beating us last night in that BS game, they had to have noticed that Smith was meh and that they actually did not even know Franzen was playing unless they looked really hard for him.

Franzen for Barkov? :lol: Or can we please just have Fleischmann back?  Smith for Huberdeau?  The Panthers are run horribly so one of those may work.

Franzen + Quincey

For

Simmonds + Meszaros

Get er done Kenny

That would for sure be the nail in the coffin for Holmgren.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#55 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,088 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 03:16 PM

SCOTT GOMEZ, BABY

[/Holland]

Don't Toews me, bro!

#56 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,088 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 04:07 PM

But srsly. They do have some good talent on that team, beyond the young guys who are surely off-limits. Fleischmann and Matthias both started as Wings...and we know how much we love bringing alumni back....Not that we really need a centerman (Matthias) or another probably-bottom-six winger (Fleischmann).

Maybe we can send Gusty somewhere. Oilers? Penguins?

DO SOMETHING, KENNY. ENTERTAIN ME

Don't Toews me, bro!

#57 metalkorn

metalkorn

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 03:37 PM

http://www.tsn.ca/bl...eger/?id=434695

Dreger is saying that TooToo is likely to be moved for cap space for what it's worth.

#58 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,705 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 04:03 PM

Word around the internet rumor mills is that both Dmitry Kulikov and Michael Del Zotta are on the block.  I'd love for either of them to be the puck mover on the second pair here in Detroit. 

Edited by kipwinger, 21 October 2013 - 04:35 PM.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

#59 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,776 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 04:10 PM

Word around the internet rumor mills is that both Dymtry Kulikov and Michael Del Zotta are on the block.  I'd love for either of them to be the puck mover on the second pair here in Detroit. 

In all honesty I'd rather a shutdown defenceman.  All our defence can skate and move the puck and with Babcock's love of playing a right handed forward on the point I don't think there's a pressing need.

Not to mention it's our in-zone play that has been erratic as of late.  We've been leaving our goalie out to dry.

Vince Lombardi

#60 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,705 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 04:15 PM

In all honesty I'd rather a shutdown defenceman.  All our defence can skate and move the puck and with Babcock's love of playing a right handed forward on the point I don't think there's a pressing need.

Not to mention it's our in-zone play that has been erratic as of late.  We've been leaving our goalie out to dry.

I know what you're saying, but I think you're selling our defensive d-men a bit short.  Also, I think another puck mover would help fill the void on the second pp unit point where we don't have a quality defenseman OR forward to fill the spot.  I'd like to see something like this...

Kronwall-Ericsson

Kulikov/Del Zotta-Dekeyser

Kindl-Quincey/Lashoff

That's a solid puck mover and defensive d-man on each pairing.  Plus, then you'd have Kindl-Kulikov/Del Zotto as the points on the second powerplay unit.