• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hockeytown0001

10/14 GDT : Red Wings 3 at Bruins 2

Rate this topic

watching the highlights from the playoffs last year with hawks shows a crime that Gus and his speed aren't on this squad right now...

Yup, but at the very least we have glendenings speed out there while that plug Cory can rot in the minors

Are you guys suggesting that the refs wanted Boston to win? Or that they missed calls.

I'll agree that some of the calls were poor, but you're taking a huge leap to suggest that they either wanted Boston to win, or wanted Detroit to lose.

Conspiracy theories are stupid.

If the score had been 3-1 Boston, in Detroit, the calls would've probably been in Detroit's favor. Nearly every ref in the league is guilty of it to some extent, but Brad Watson is the worst .

Also, if there's any league that would fix games via reffing, it's the NHL. The MLB, and NFL don't need it, but you know how the NHL sells itself on parity and close games.

I just want to weigh in on the penalty issue. I think it is completely plausible that the refs are told to influence the game slightly to keep it close. How many times have we seen a pp for a team right after they were scored on? All the time. In a big original 6 game with the home team down and the only game on tv i think the refs went a little overboard tonight. They made knit pick calls on detroit that they turned the blind eye to when boston did them. Thats my 2 cents.

Watson hates the Wings eh? Why? Did Mike Ilitch f*** his wife?

You're suggesting that a professional referee, who gets paid to be objective, is being obviously biased against a team for no good reason whatsoever. And you have nothing to substantiate these claims, except your honest opinion. An opinion which couldn't possibly be clouded because you're a fan of the team who got the short end of the stick today.

Nobody is conspiring the keep the Wings down. There are lots of games where we have more powerplays. I don't see any of you lining up to cry shenanigans when it favors us.

Sad fact is, so far this season we're a team that takes a lot of penalties. We've been taking too many penalties since game one. It's not a conspiracy, it's just sloppy play.

Right, that's like accusing a judge of being corrupt... We all know that can't be possible :innocent:

Boston is not the most well disciplined team, and for them to not take any penalties against a "goon filled" Wings squad...what were we thinking?

its nice when 3 lines score. nice to see the new guys help too.

monster did a helleva job

glendening > emmerton for sure

lashoff > smith

i hate chara and dont think hes special and love how datsyuk made him look like s***.

good game \

i hope Z can keep it up unlike last season

Edited by brett

If the score had been 3-1 Boston, in Detroit, the calls would've probably been in Detroit's favor. Nearly every ref in the league is guilty of it to some extent, but Brad Watson is the worst .

Also, if there's any league that would fix games via reffing, it's the NHL. The MLB, and NFL don't need it, but you know how the NHL sells itself on parity and close games.

If the NHL were going to fix games, why would they waste time fixing games for a franchise that's going to win anyway? Both Detroit and Boston are perennial contenders with strong fan bases. If the fix was in, wouldn't you expect the NHL to help out Florida, Tampa, Dallas, or Phoenix (the team the NHL owned for years)?

Why the hell would you conspire to help a team that doesn't need it?

Edited by kipwinger

If the NHL were going to fix games, why would they waste time fixing games for a franchise that's going to win anyway? Both Detroit and Boston are perennial contenders with strong fan bases. If the fix was in, wouldn't you expect the NHL to help out Florida, Tampa, Dallas, or Phoenix (the team the NHL owned for years)?

Well the point of fixing games is to make money from Vegas lines. With that said, I don't think NHL refs are fixing games. Just one of those games where the other team didn't have to kill a penalty, which happens from time to time.

Guest Crymson
watching the highlights from the playoffs last year with hawks shows a crime that Gus and his speed aren't on this squad right now...

Too many Guses here.

Lashoff was desperate on that 5 on 3 kill, was great too see. Smith better feel that hot flame under his ass only getting hotter!!!

I like having Lashoff on the team. He's bigger than Smith, better defensively, and more poised. Best of all, I don't tense up when he has the puck!

Read my post again. I never said the league fixes games, only that if one league did, it would be the NHL. No accusation was made that Boston or Detroit were favored in any way.

The only thing I claimed in my post, was that nearly every official in the league has a tendency to try and 'even-up' games by calling penalties against the team with the lead. Whether this is intentional or not, I don't know, but I you're going to look like an idiot if you try to deny it. Brad Watson happens to be one of the worst offenders of 'even-up' calls. My guess is that he assumes the winning team is going to get complacent, and gives them more attention. I'll have to take a look at his officiating history to see if it's a common trend in his games.

Too many Guses here.

I like having Lashoff on the team. He's bigger than Smith, better defensively, and more poised. Best of all, I don't tense up when he has the puck!

I would like to see smith and Quincey rotate the 6/7 spot. With the way lash is playing I see no good reason to sit him unless something changes.

I would like to see smith and Quincey rotate the 6/7 spot. With the way lash is playing I see no good reason to sit him unless something changes.

I think Quincey has played strong this season. In my opinion he's earned a regular spot on the team. Lashoff and Smith should rotate in the sixth spot, with Lashoff playing most of the time, and Smith playing against s***ty teams to get him some games.

Honestly, what I'd really like to see is Sproul up as the 7th d-man rotating with Lashoff, and Smith on some other team. But given how the Wings work, and the fact that Smith has done nothing but destroy his trade value, I'm not going to hold my breath.

Read my post again. I never said the league fixes games, only that if one league did, it would be the NHL. No accusation was made that Boston or Detroit were favored in any way.

The only thing I claimed in my post, was that nearly every official in the league has a tendency to try and 'even-up' games by calling penalties against the team with the lead. Whether this is intentional or not, I don't know, but I you're going to look like an idiot if you try to deny it. Brad Watson happens to be one of the worst offenders of 'even-up' calls. My guess is that he assumes the winning team is going to get complacent, and gives them more attention. I'll have to take a look at his officiating history to see if it's a common trend in his games.

I would argue that has more to do with the losing team playing with more intensity at points in the game and putting the winning team on their heels which may result in them drawing a penalty.

And as for the NHL being the one league you think that would fix games, I'd have to assume that all of the major sports leagues are paying close attention to that after the Donaghy scandal.

If Holland was as knee jerk as some Wings fans when it comes to the kids not being impact players right out of the gate, we'd be right down there with the Flyers.

Imagine if he gave up on Kronwall and Ericsson not even a full NHL season into their careers. Shudder to think about it.

If Holland was as knee jerk as some Wings fans when it comes to the kids not being impact players right out of the gate, we'd be right down there with the Flyers.

Imagine if he gave up on Kronwall and Ericsson not even a full NHL season into their careers. Shudder to think about it.

I don't think anyone expects Smith to be an impact player, but we do expect him to do something. He's poor defensively, which might be excusable given that he's supposedly an offensive d-man but he doesn't pinch well either. He's bad in transition and makes poor passes, frequently turning the puck over, and he doesn't have much of a shot so he's no help on the PP. Add to that the fact that Sproul is developing faster than expected, as is Ouellet, and you have to wonder if he doesn't have more value to the team as part of a trade.

Also, his comments about being scratched definitely make me wonder whether he's mature enough to play for this team. Kindl, Ericsson, and Kronwall were all VERY shaky when they first came up. But none of them ever said publicly that they didn't know how to improve or threw their linemates under the bus.

Edited by kipwinger

Guest Crymson

Also, his comments about being scratched definitely make me wonder whether he's mature enough to play for this team. Kindl, Ericsson, and Kronwall were all VERY shaky when they first came up. But none of them ever said publicly that they didn't know how to improve or threw their linemates under the bus.

True enough about those three, though they never made me as nervous as Smith does. I didn't see his comments about being scratched; could you link me?

Skimming through the DVR of the game as I just got home. Pavel's setup for Hank was amazing, and Hank is sniping nicely so far this year. Franzen's feed to Weiss was also a nice feed, so he's back to Mule until he plays like ass again. A good heads up play by him. Weiss is starting to gain some confidence, which will only help the second line. On D, Lashoff is making some nice plays. I still think Smith will be fine if he's not paired with Quincey, they just don't gel. Alfredsson is doing a great job setting up the goals, and good on Cleary for burying it.

While I'm definitely on record as not being a Brad Watson fan, reading the box score made me suspicious, as he has historically been one to shade against the Wings. Some of the penalties the Wings took were just bonehead moves. However, a lot seemed to be let go on both sides(more for the the B's than the Wings imho, but I wholeheartedly admit to wearing red-wing colored glasses). The bright side is the PK stood tall, and Gustavsson played like the backup we hoped he'd be. Hopefully Jimmy is ready to go again soon.

True enough about those three, though they never made me as nervous as Smith does. I didn't see his comments about being scratched; could you link me?

Please let me know what you think about him after reading this...

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2013/10/brendan_smith_scratched_as_red.html

From Sport Illustrated:

On officiating in the playoffs: "The officials in this league are the best in the world, I believe, not just in hockey, but in any sport. I believe they have the most difficult job ... and even more scrutiny this time of year."

Someone must tell Uncle Gary this; thus, he believes it.

I think Quincey has played strong this season. In my opinion he's earned a regular spot on the team. Lashoff and Smith should rotate in the sixth spot, with Lashoff playing most of the time, and Smith playing against s***ty teams to get him some games.

Honestly, what I'd really like to see is Sproul up as the 7th d-man rotating with Lashoff, and Smith on some other team. But given how the Wings work, and the fact that Smith has done nothing but destroy his trade value, I'm not going to hold my breath.

You're right about Quincey. I just figured that Quincey and smith should rotate because they play a similar style. I don't want lash out of the line-up because we don't have many defence minded defenseman.

You're right about Quincey. I just figured that Quincey and smith should rotate because they play a similar style. I don't want lash out of the line-up because we don't have many defence minded defenseman.

I completely agree, I'd prefer that Lashoff stays in the lineup as well. He's a good PK guy and I generally err on the side of defense. I'd always rather play a defensively responsible d-man with poor offense, than a good offensive d-man with poor defense.