• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hockeytown0001

10/14 GDT : Red Wings 3 at Bruins 2

Rate this topic

Please let me know what you think about him after reading this...

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2013/10/brendan_smith_scratched_as_red.html

I don't really see what he said that was so awful.

He admits to being caught twice and having Quincey save him. kind of admits to being bad that game but thinks he's been good other games.

To me, this was the more interesting and cryptic comment from Babcock about Tatar.

Babcock declined to say why Tatar isn’t playing.

“He’s a good scorer and we need goals, so why isn’t he in?’’ Babcock said. “I ask myself the same question.’’

I don't really see what he said that was so awful.

He admits to being caught twice and having Quincey save him. kind of admits to being bad that game but thinks he's been good other games.

To me, this was the more interesting and cryptic comment from Babcock about Tatar.

I completely agree with you about the Tatar comments. It's really hard for me to figure out Babs actual thoughts on guys because I think he's often putting his sports psychology training into practice when he comments on them. It seems like he believes some guys respond well to criticism, and others need to be insulated from criticism. He's always really supportive of Smith, in spite of his troubles, but rarely gives Kindl any sort of encouragement without first "grounding" him a bit. I don't think he likes one more than the other, but he treats them very differently. I have to think that his comments about Tatar are just more of the same.

As far as Smith's comments, I don't recall a time when a player admitted to not knowing how to improve, and it's hard for me to believe that he hasn't been told why he's not in the lineup. Additionally, the "I am a minus-4, but if you watch those goals, I don’t think there’s a breakdown on my side" line bothers me because it points a finger at other players, and obscures the fact that his in zone coverage, and decision making with the puck has been terrible. If his play was up to par he wouldn't have been scratched twice in two games, so either he screwed up on those goals and isn't owning up to it, or he didn't screw up on those particular goals but every other facet of his game needs work. Either way, saying "the goals weren't my fault" deflects attention onto his teammates, and doesn't address whatever it is that has cost him a regular spot in the lineup.

I don't remember other young defensemen behaving that way.

Obviously Dats and Z have been fantastic so far but Danny D has been great on the back end. The less I have to say his name the better...very few mistakes and when he does make one its in the right spots on the ice.

Does anyone have a recording of the "Are you serious?!" Because that was hilarious.

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=459557

Go to the 1 minute mark.

In other news, re-watching the highlights this morning I just noticed how Franzen hustled on the 2nd goal. As someone who rags on him as much as anyone, nice to see. Now do it again 82 times!

These last few calls/non-calls are an example of why people cry about ref/NHL corruption and the refs trying to intentionally even games up via their calls when one team goes down. (especially at home)

The NHL never misses an opportunity to fuel the conspiracy theorists, that's for sure.

Monster will be in net tonight.

Thanks, Nev! I don't record the games on Gamecenter (actually, can you even do that?), and I was kinda kicking myself at several points in the game. Really entertaining game overall.

And that's exactly what I was thinking right before and after Weiss's goal - Franzen hustled!!!

What kills me about Franzen is that he used to hustle all over. He was known as a fast player. He worked very hard. And good things happened because of it. That's what makes the laziness so infuriating. And then you see sequences like this one and it's like, Dude! Do that more often!

Monster will be in net tonight.

Thanks, Nev! I don't record the games on Gamecenter (actually, can you even do that?), and I was kinda kicking myself at several points in the game. Really entertaining game overall.

And that's exactly what I was thinking right before and after Weiss's goal - Franzen hustled!!!

What kills me about Franzen is that he used to hustle all over. He was known as a fast player. He worked very hard. And good things happened because of it. That's what makes the laziness so infuriating. And then you see sequences like this one and it's like, Dude! Do that more often!

On gamecenter you can just go into any game at any time and start it from the beginning

This game will be on the NHL Network in fifteen minutes.

I've noticed more hustle from Franzen over the last couple of games. As Babs would say, "Good for him, better for us." But it's definitely been an issue with him for a long while now. I don't think that can be denied. Overblown? Maybe. But still an issue.

Monster will indeed be in tonight. (Unless Jimmy has another last-minute turnaround?)

Edited by Dabura

As someone who craps all over Franzen any chance I get on this forum:

He has impressed me so far. I know the 2nd line is still feeling each other out and the numbers may not be as high as we all would like.

But his stats were never my issue, it was his effort, and seems to have it every night so far in this young season!

ATTA BOY MULE!!!

I think he does it a lot more than people claim. I saw a lot of hustle from him against Philly, as well.

Of course he does, he's a good player. It's just a shame that Franzen's image is forever caught up with dumb ass fan's circular reasoning. Franzen sucks until he scores, then everybody pats themselves on the back and says "see, if he'd just try more he'd always do that". Likewise, Franzen's inconsistent until everybody realizes that last year he had shorter goal droughts than Datsyuk and Zetterberg and then it's "weeeeelllll...at least they play defense". Which finally leads me to, "Franzen doens't play defense" until you see him out on the penalty kill and suddenly it's "see, I told you Babcock plays favorites".

There was a point near the end of the game where Franzen had the puck along the boards in the Bruins zone and 3 Bruin players couldn't knock him off the puck. He killed a lot of time and even came out with a scoring chance.

He had some great hustle plays but even in a game like that where he played good in between his good plays he wasn't always looking engaged

Mule's orginal "image" was that of The Mule. And that was the invention of none other than The Captain. The fact that there's been something of a total 180 re: people's perception of him isn't just people being stupid; there's a good reason for it. Like I said - overblown? Maybe. But it's not like there's nothing to it.

Everyone knows he's a good player. In fact, that's the whole point. He could be one of the games truly elite players if he'd just work on his "compete" and be more of an "everydayer." Also, the fact that he says stuff like "I don't really care that much about the regular season" (not an exact quote) doesn't really help things, perception-wise.

Mule's orginal "image" was that of The Mule. And that was the invention of none other than The Captain. The fact that there's been something of a total 180 re: people's perception of him isn't just people being stupid; there's a good reason for it. Like I said - overblown? Maybe. But it's not like there's nothing to it.

Everyone knows he's a good player. In fact, that's the whole point. He could be one of the games truly elite players if he'd just work on his "compete" and be more of an "everydayer." Also, the fact that he says stuff like "I don't really care that much about the regular season" (not an exact quote) doesn't really help things, perception-wise.

The problem is that he couldn't be "elite". He can just be really good. If everybody would stop thinking of his as a potentially elite player then there wouldn't be a problem. Nobody thinks Sam Gagner is elite, in spite of his periodic spurts of exceptional play and Franzen is no different.

Also, he never ever ever ever ever said he didn't care about the regular season...ever.

Edited by kipwinger

The problem is that he couldn't be "elite". He can just be really good. If everybody would stop thinking of his as a potentially elite player then there wouldn't be a problem. Nobody thinks Sam Gagner is elite, in spite of his periodic spurts of exceptional play and Franzen is no different.

Also, he never ever ever ever ever said he didn't care about the regular season...ever.

He did say it wasn't as exciting as the playoffs, which is quite obviously true. The fact that he said it to the media made everyone go crazy, just like when he said he doesn't want everyone to think of him as a goal scorer because he does other stuff too

Great game nice job by Gus based on what happened. I may be in the minority but I do like jack Edwards a lot. He gets fired up for any goal or good play. Sure he takes it over the top with bruins plays but the man loves hockey