• Please log in to reply
401 replies to this topic

#361 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 04:45 PM

watching the highlights from the playoffs last year with hawks shows a crime that Gus and his speed aren't on this squad right now...

Too many Guses here.

Lashoff was desperate on that 5 on 3 kill, was great too see. Smith better feel that hot flame under his ass only getting hotter!!!

I like having Lashoff on the team. He's bigger than Smith, better defensively, and more poised. Best of all, I don't tense up when he has the puck!

#362 LeagueIntegrity

LeagueIntegrity

Prospect

• 31 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 05:02 PM

If the NHL were going to fix games, why would they waste time fixing games for a franchise that's going to win anyway?  Both Detroit and Boston are perennial contenders with strong fan bases.  If the fix was in, wouldn't you expect the NHL to help out Florida, Tampa, Dallas, or Phoenix (the team the NHL owned for years)?

Why the hell would you conspire to help a team that doesn't need it?

Conspiracy theories are stupid.

Read my post again.  I never said the league fixes games, only that if one league did, it would be the NHL.  No accusation was made that Boston or Detroit were favored in any way.  

The only thing I claimed in my post, was that nearly every official in the league has a tendency to try and 'even-up' games by calling penalties against the team with the lead.  Whether this is intentional or not, I don't know, but I you're going to look like an idiot if you try to deny it.  Brad Watson happens to be one of the worst offenders of 'even-up' calls.  My guess is that he assumes the winning team is going to get complacent, and gives them more attention.  I'll have to take a look at his officiating history to see if it's a common trend in his games.  

#363 The Greek

The Greek

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 05:04 PM

Too many Guses here.

I like having Lashoff on the team. He's bigger than Smith, better defensively, and more poised. Best of all, I don't tense up when he has the puck!

I would like to see smith and Quincey rotate the 6/7 spot. With the way lash is playing I see no good reason to sit him unless something changes.

#364 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,510 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 05:27 PM

I would like to see smith and Quincey rotate the 6/7 spot. With the way lash is playing I see no good reason to sit him unless something changes.

I think Quincey has played strong this season.  In my opinion he's earned a regular spot on the team.  Lashoff and Smith should rotate in the sixth spot, with Lashoff playing most of the time, and Smith playing against s***ty teams to get him some games.

Honestly, what I'd really like to see is Sproul up as the 7th d-man rotating with Lashoff, and Smith on some other team.  But given how the Wings work, and the fact that Smith has done nothing but destroy his trade value, I'm not going to hold my breath.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#365 dropkickshanahans

dropkickshanahans

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,578 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 05:37 PM

Read my post again.  I never said the league fixes games, only that if one league did, it would be the NHL.  No accusation was made that Boston or Detroit were favored in any way.  

The only thing I claimed in my post, was that nearly every official in the league has a tendency to try and 'even-up' games by calling penalties against the team with the lead.  Whether this is intentional or not, I don't know, but I you're going to look like an idiot if you try to deny it.  Brad Watson happens to be one of the worst offenders of 'even-up' calls.  My guess is that he assumes the winning team is going to get complacent, and gives them more attention.  I'll have to take a look at his officiating history to see if it's a common trend in his games.  

I would argue that has more to do with the losing team playing with more intensity at points in the game and putting the winning team on their heels which may result in them drawing a penalty.

And as for the NHL being the one league you think that would fix games, I'd have to assume that all of the major sports leagues are paying close attention to that after the Donaghy scandal.

#366 brett

brett

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,132 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 06:23 PM

i gave smith a chance everyone said give him a whole 82 game season but that doesnt look like it will happen. hes good as trade bait IMO now. maybe a few years from now kenny will trade for him back

#367 marcaractac

marcaractac

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,471 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 06:36 PM

If Holland was as knee jerk as some Wings fans when it comes to the kids not being impact players right out of the gate, we'd be right down there with the Flyers.

Imagine if he gave up on Kronwall and Ericsson not even a full NHL season into their careers. Shudder to think about it.

#368 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,510 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 06:48 PM

If Holland was as knee jerk as some Wings fans when it comes to the kids not being impact players right out of the gate, we'd be right down there with the Flyers.

Imagine if he gave up on Kronwall and Ericsson not even a full NHL season into their careers. Shudder to think about it.

I don't think anyone expects Smith to be an impact player, but we do expect him to do something.  He's poor defensively, which might be excusable given that he's supposedly an offensive d-man but he doesn't pinch well either.  He's bad in transition and makes poor passes, frequently turning the puck over, and he doesn't have much of a shot so he's no help on the PP.  Add to that the fact that Sproul is developing faster than expected, as is Ouellet, and you have to wonder if he doesn't have more value to the team as part of a trade. 

Also, his comments about being scratched definitely make me wonder whether he's mature enough to play for this team.  Kindl, Ericsson, and Kronwall were all VERY shaky when they first came up.  But none of them ever said publicly that they didn't know how to improve or threw their linemates under the bus. 

Edited by kipwinger, 14 October 2013 - 07:19 PM.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

#369 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 06:52 PM

Also, his comments about being scratched definitely make me wonder whether he's mature enough to play for this team.  Kindl, Ericsson, and Kronwall were all VERY shaky when they first came up.  But none of them ever said publicly that they didn't know how to improve or threw their linemates under the bus. 

True enough about those three, though they never made me as nervous as Smith does. I didn't see his comments about being scratched; could you link me?

#370 TheXym

TheXym

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,173 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 06:54 PM

Skimming through the DVR of the game as I just got home. Pavel's setup for Hank was amazing, and Hank is sniping nicely so far this year. Franzen's feed to Weiss was also a nice feed, so he's back to Mule until he plays like ass again. A good heads up play by him. Weiss is starting to gain some confidence, which will only help the second line. On D, Lashoff is making some nice plays. I still think Smith will be fine if he's not paired with Quincey, they just don't gel. Alfredsson is doing a great job setting up the goals, and good on Cleary for burying it.

While I'm definitely on record as not being a Brad Watson fan, reading the box score made me suspicious, as he has historically been one to shade against the Wings. Some of the penalties the Wings took were just bonehead moves. However, a lot seemed to be let go on both sides(more for the the B's than the Wings imho, but I wholeheartedly admit to wearing red-wing colored glasses). The bright side is the PK stood tall, and Gustavsson played like the backup we hoped he'd be. Hopefully Jimmy is ready to go again soon.
It's pronounced "Zim" not "Exim". Aw heck with it, just call me Scott.

#371 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,510 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 07:04 PM

True enough about those three, though they never made me as nervous as Smith does. I didn't see his comments about being scratched; could you link me?

Please let me know what you think about him after reading this...

http://www.mlive.com...hed_as_red.html

#372 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 07:15 PM

From Sport Illustrated:

On officiating in the playoffs: "The officials in this league are the best in the world, I believe, not just in hockey, but in any sport. I believe they have the most difficult job ... and even more scrutiny this time of year."

Someone must tell Uncle Gary this; thus, he believes it.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#373 The Greek

The Greek

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 07:18 PM

I think Quincey has played strong this season.  In my opinion he's earned a regular spot on the team.  Lashoff and Smith should rotate in the sixth spot, with Lashoff playing most of the time, and Smith playing against s***ty teams to get him some games.

Honestly, what I'd really like to see is Sproul up as the 7th d-man rotating with Lashoff, and Smith on some other team.  But given how the Wings work, and the fact that Smith has done nothing but destroy his trade value, I'm not going to hold my breath.

You're right about Quincey. I just figured that Quincey and smith should rotate because they play a similar style. I don't want lash out of the line-up because we don't have many defence minded defenseman.

#374 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,510 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 07:21 PM

You're right about Quincey. I just figured that Quincey and smith should rotate because they play a similar style. I don't want lash out of the line-up because we don't have many defence minded defenseman.

I completely agree, I'd prefer that Lashoff stays in the lineup as well.  He's a good PK guy and I generally err on the side of defense.  I'd always rather play a defensively responsible d-man with poor offense, than a good offensive d-man with poor defense. 

#375 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 23,332 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 07:29 PM

I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess Byron Dafoe for that boston goalie.

so stevie, bourque, shanny and dafoe is my final answer

Correct.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#376 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,279 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 07:36 PM

Please let me know what you think about him after reading this...

http://www.mlive.com...hed_as_red.html

I don't really see what he said that was so awful. 

He admits to being caught twice and having Quincey save him.  kind of admits to being bad that game but thinks he's been good other games. 

To me, this was the more interesting and cryptic comment from Babcock about Tatar.

Babcock declined to say why Tatar isn’t playing.

“He’s a good scorer and we need goals, so why isn’t he in?’’ Babcock said. “I ask myself the same question.’’

#377 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,510 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 07:49 PM

I don't really see what he said that was so awful. 

He admits to being caught twice and having Quincey save him.  kind of admits to being bad that game but thinks he's been good other games. 

To me, this was the more interesting and cryptic comment from Babcock about Tatar.

I completely agree with you about the Tatar comments.  It's really hard for me to figure out Babs actual thoughts on guys because I think he's often putting his sports psychology training into practice when he comments on them.  It seems like he believes some guys respond well to criticism, and others need to be insulated from criticism.  He's always really supportive of Smith, in spite of his troubles, but rarely gives Kindl any sort of encouragement without first "grounding" him a bit.  I don't think he likes one more than the other, but he treats them very differently.  I have to think that his comments about Tatar are just more of the same.

As far as Smith's comments, I don't recall a time when a player admitted to not knowing how to improve, and it's hard for me to believe that he hasn't been told why he's not in the lineup.  Additionally, the "I am a minus-4, but if you watch those goals, I don’t think there’s a breakdown on my side" line bothers me because it points a finger at other players, and obscures the fact that his in zone coverage, and decision making with the puck has been terrible.  If his play was up to par he wouldn't have been scratched twice in two games, so either he screwed up on those goals and isn't owning up to it, or he didn't screw up on those particular goals but every other facet of his game needs work.  Either way, saying "the goals weren't my fault" deflects attention onto his teammates, and doesn't address whatever it is that has cost him a regular spot in the lineup. 

I don't remember other young defensemen behaving that way.

#378 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,192 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 08:06 PM

Does anyone have a recording of the "Are you serious?!" Because that was hilarious.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#379 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,824 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 08:32 PM

Watching the replay of the game that I didn't get to see because of work, but this game was a hell of a lot more exciting than the game against the Flyers. 

#380 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 09:00 PM

It was perfectly worth missing my workout for this game.