• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
marcaractac

Pronger is done

Rate this topic

Man, the Flyers either have mismanagement issues or injury issues.

One of the two seems to always bite them in the Arse.

Every time they look poised to make a run at the cup they lose a big part of the team, and then overpay for a replacement.

Yawningly anti-climatic, and I can't say I'm heartbroken. I've had a good hate on for Pronger pretty much his entire career. Glad he's not really hurt or anything, but I'm just as glad he's not playing anymore.

Can't say I'm really upset for Philly, either. Does that make me a bad person?

Yawningly anti-climatic, and I can't say I'm heartbroken. I've had a good hate on for Pronger pretty much his entire career. Glad he's not really hurt or anything, but I'm just as glad he's not playing anymore.

Can't say I'm really upset for Philly, either. Does that make me a bad person?

Not at all. I've always hated Pronger as well, but nobody can deny the impact he had on every team he has played for. Sad to see a career end like that unless it were someone like Matt Cooke. Being in the East, good for us that he won;t be playing. Don't feel bad for Philly what so ever, however. I actually think the state they are in is kind of hilarious.

I just wonder if he will be forced to retire, or if they will let Philly keep paying him to basically avoid the cap hit for 4 years much like Boston got to do with Savard.

nah he was on LTIR the for the past 2 years.

I'll be kind of rotted if the flyers are allowed to just keep him on LTIR. His contract would take him until he is 43, so if the league allows it, the flyers dodge a huge bullet ion terms of a cap hit. At least Savard's contract would have expired while he was still in his 30's. But no way Pronger would have played until 43.

Pronger didn't do anything worse than what Chelios had done in his career. As others have mentioned, he made the teams he was on better and carried a couple of them on his back to the Finals.

I'm surprised Holmgren said that. It's a pretty obvious thing but it's not like Pronger had announced retirement or anything. He'll never play hockey again but hopefully his symptoms improve so he lead a mostly normal life and enjoy spending time with his kids. Last I heard his symptoms sounded awful.

My thoughts exactly.

As someone - can't remember who - once said, he took crap teams and made them great.

Truth. Look what happened to the last 3 teams he stopped playing for. Literally went from Stanley Cup finals appearances (and in the Ducks case, a cup) to not even making the playoffs right after. Hate to admit it, but he is definitely a top dman of his generation.

When did Pronger ever have a sub-par D Partner, or someone who wasn't at least as good as he was?

In ANA it was Rob N, STL it was MacInis.

The man was good don't get me wrong, I would have loved him paired with Lids, however to credit him with making the teams he was on great is misleading in my opinion.

When did Pronger ever have a sub-par D Partner, or someone who wasn't at least as good as he was?

In ANA it was Rob N, STL it was MacInis.

The man was good don't get me wrong, I would have loved him paired with Lids, however to credit him with making the teams he was on great is misleading in my opinion.

Edmonton Oilers. Argument invalid :lol:

Pronger didn't do anything worse than what Chelios had done in his career. As others have mentioned, he made the teams he was on better and carried a couple of them on his back to the Finals.

I'm surprised Holmgren said that. It's a pretty obvious thing but it's not like Pronger had announced retirement or anything. He'll never play hockey again but hopefully his symptoms improve so he lead a mostly normal life and enjoy spending time with his kids. Last I heard his symptoms sounded awful.

True, but Chelios evolved. Pronger stayed an SOB. Some people like that, I get it. I never appreciated him.

He always had an impact on every team he played for. Sure some of the antics that he was suspended for were sore spots, but a defenseman with his size and ability was certainly an asset.

Hate to see a career ended due to lingering effects of a head injury, but if him not playing again leads him to have a somewhat normal life then that is certainly more important.

True, but Chelios evolved. Pronger stayed an SOB. Some people like that, I get it. I never appreciated him.

I don't think Chelios evolved . He just got too old to really get away with the crap he used to do early in his career. He would've had his ass handed to him in a fight.

Honestly in his career Chelios did some worse things than Pronger, but I'm handicapping it for the era. I hated when the Wings played against Pronger but I would've loved to have him on the team. The guy was a beast and a great puck moving D-man. He would've been awesome on the Wings.

Here's a question - can he stay on LTIR now that Philly has announced this or will the league force him to officially retire and burden the Flyers with his cap hit? Seems like a bad move on the part of Holmgren.

I don't think Chelios evolved . He just got too old to really get away with the crap he used to do early in his career. He would've had his ass handed to him in a fight.

Honestly in his career Chelios did some worse things than Pronger, but I'm handicapping it for the era. I hated when the Wings played against Pronger but I would've loved to have him on the team. The guy was a beast and a great puck moving D-man. He would've been awesome on the Wings.

I beg to differ - I think Chelios was more than capable of being a badass when the Wings signed him; I just think Scotty required him to play a cleaner game. Granted, it's all conjecture, but the man was in awesome shape.

Here's a question - can he stay on LTIR now that Philly has announced this or will the league force him to officially retire and burden the Flyers with his cap hit? Seems like a bad move on the part of Holmgren.

I beg to differ - I think Chelios was more than capable of being a badass when the Wings signed him; I just think Scotty required him to play a cleaner game. Granted, it's all conjecture, but the man was in awesome shape.

That's why I wondered why Holmgren said that. Seems stupid on his part. And weird that he randomly says it now. There must be some reasoning behind the timing.

Chelios was definitely in great shape. But the league was changing, fighters got bigger and he got older. He was 36 when he came to the Wings and racking up a growing list of injuries. Pronger's last suspension was as a 34 year old, before he was on the Flyers. When he played in Philly he was still mean but the end of his career looked a lot like Cheli's.

To me they're very much cut from the same cloth. Agree to disagree I guess.

But... but... but... Chelios never did anything against the WINGS. At least not, you know, like... at the END of his career.

I've always detested Pronger, but that was as a hockey player playing against my team. I still hold some of his antics against us against him, but again, that's on the ice.

Off the ice, I hope he feels better and can live without pain.

I fully agree that this was stupid of Holmgren to mention this, but technically it doesn't change anything. Pronger is still on LTIR since he's physically unable to play.

If he was feeling better and his symptoms were gone, then there might be an issue if they kept him on LTIR because they felt that he had missed too much time and that he wouldn't be good enough to compete or if he just wanted to retire but didn't announce it so that he could keep getting paid without counting against the cap.

Since that's not the case, LTIR is still a valid option that no one can really argue. He's definitely injured and it's definitely long term.

Too bad, easily one of the best defenseman of his generation I would go Perfect Human - Pronger - S. Niedermayer that's how good Pronger was in his prime. He took a lot of teams on his back and led them to Stanley Cup appearances and even wins, he is physical beast.

All the best to him hopefully Pronger can be symptom free very soon.

btw. how dumb is Holmer? You don't say something like that publically because you are now on the hook for 6 million against your cap, just keep him on LTIR and when his contract is done, anounce his retirement.

Heh, Uncle Gary is going to have fun sorting out this mess. Should be fun to see if Philly tries to find a loophole in the bylaws.

Shame about Pronger, I don't feel like enough of those "big names" are being replaced by new players anymore in the NHL. Maybe it's just bad marketing or its the difference in eras.