• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
marcaractac

Pronger is done

Rate this topic

When did Pronger ever have a sub-par D Partner, or someone who wasn't at least as good as he was?

In ANA it was Rob N, STL it was MacInis.

The man was good don't get me wrong, I would have loved him paired with Lids, however to credit him with making the teams he was on great is misleading in my opinion.

I can't speak to his time in St Louis because I really don't remember. But Pronger has never really played with an elite partner, just had them on his team. In Edmonton he played with Jason Smith, then in Anaheim his regular partner was Sean O'Donnell. Finally in Philly I believe most of his time was spent with Matt Carle. He only played with Scotty on the PP in Anaheim.

I wasn't a huge Pronger fan, but he was one of the best of his era easily. He made any team he's ever been on better, except for St Louis, every other team reached the Stanley Cup finals at least once. He was a force, and it's too bad he had to go out this way.

I don't feel the least bit sorry for Pronger.

This is poetic justice for a dirty scumbag of a player who spent his whole career viciously and intentionally trying to injure people.

At least Cooke is trying to pull a Mikita. Pronger was dirty to the very end.

Pronger didn't do anything worse than what Chelios had done in his career. As others have mentioned, he made the teams he was on better and carried a couple of them on his back to the Finals.

I'm surprised Holmgren said that. It's a pretty obvious thing but it's not like Pronger had announced retirement or anything. He'll never play hockey again but hopefully his symptoms improve so he lead a mostly normal life and enjoy spending time with his kids. Last I heard his symptoms sounded awful.

Yeah, I saw an interview with him recently and it sounded horrible when he explained his symptoms. I don't wish that on anybody.

How quickly people forget. Pronger basically said he wasn't returning over 7 months ago.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/spector-on-pronger-nothing-to-gain-from-nhl-return/

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nhl/news/20130417/chris-pronger-battle-with-post-concussion-symptoms/

Edited by FireCaptain

Heh, Uncle Gary is going to have fun sorting out this mess. Should be fun to see if Philly tries to find a loophole in the bylaws.

Shame about Pronger, I don't feel like enough of those "big names" are being replaced by new players anymore in the NHL. Maybe it's just bad marketing or its the difference in eras.

What does any of this have to do with Gary Bettman?

Yawningly anti-climatic, and I can't say I'm heartbroken. I've had a good hate on for Pronger pretty much his entire creed. Glad he's not really hurt or anything, but I'm just as glad he's not playing anymore.

Can't say I'm really upset for Philly, either. Does that make me a bad person?

Nope. Personally I've always hated the guy so I'm with ya. Can't the flyers do witb Pronger what the Devils did with Kovalchuk? How did that scam artist Lamiorello make Kovy's contract disappear?

Should be fun to see if Philly tries to find a loophole in the bylaws.

What do you mean? What bylaws are you referring to that would require someone to find a loophole?

I'm not sure you could find anyone that thought he would ever play another game, not sure what the news is here. In terms of forcing him to retire and therefore cause Philly to take the cap hit, how would that be fair? If Pronger retires, he no longer collects his paycheque....why would he do that. Not sure if he'd get insurance money or not, if he does, then perhaps retirement is a possibility.

Nope. Personally I've always hated the guy so I'm with ya. Can't the flyers do witb Pronger what the Devils did with Kovalchuk? How did that scam artist Lamiorello make Kovy's contract disappear?

the 35 and above rule applies to Pronger's contract

Gotta think that the league will start pushing to either hold the Flyers responsible for Pronger's cap hit, or punish them for deliberate circumvention of the cap. If that were to happen, then I guarantee Holmgren will follow in Laviolette's footsteps...

...out the door...

I really have mixed feelings over this. On the one hand, his symptoms sound horrible. On the other, I wonder if he's sat at home now thinking "I wish I never smashed Holmstrom's head into the glass. I wish I never stomped on Kesler"? The NHL is unquestionably a safer place for Pronger's retirement. He was a great player, second only to Lidstrom in his generation. He was also a dirty, cowardly, cheap shotting, spot picking bully who could and should have been called for cross-checking on every shift of his career. A "tough guy" whose fight card is topped by Dan Cleary and Michael Handzus.

As for cap circumvention, its already cap circumvention even without the whole "retired by not retired". The guy is signed till he's 43, how is that different to the original Kovy deal?

I guess we all saw this coming. He will be missed by me, I always modeled my game off him. Here's to a symptom free eetirement

I guess we all saw this coming. He will be missed by me, I always modeled my game off him rather than lidstrom, even though nick is better :)Here's to a symptom free retirement

I still laugh at his signing with the Flyers. He's 34. He signs an extension for seven years. He'll be 35 when it kicks in, so it has the 35+ rules, and the Flyers were, "Um... yeah... uh.... we knew that... did we know that?...and we're ok with it... um... we're really glad to have him and ... um... yeah....hooboy, nobody thought about that, did they?... we're sure he'll be an asset to the team well into his 40's... oh, crap. I looked it up... they're right... we're on the hook for a 35+ deal... so we're proud and pleased to welcome Chris Pronger to Philadelphia!"

Chris Pronger was a great defenseman that played the game about as mean as anyone ever has. He took nasty to a whole new level and that's why some fans hated him and he was boo'd in just about every rink in the league. Love him or hate him he did have a HOF career.

the 35 and above rule applies to Pronger's contract

The new CBA overrides the old CBA though. Which is why Franzen would carry a cap hit if he retired early even though he is not even 35 yet. So still, how did Jersey actually get away with Kovalchuk retiring? I have a feeling that the league may have a case on their hands for Pronger's cap hit disappearing as he is physically not able to play at no fault of the Flyers. It's sorta funny watching Holmgren completely ruin a hockey team, but at the same time, you gotta wonder if the league will step in and make a ruling on this case.

The new CBA overrides the old CBA though. Which is why Franzen would carry a cap hit if he retired early even though he is not even 35 yet. So still, how did Jersey actually get away with Kovalchuk retiring? I have a feeling that the league may have a case on their hands for Pronger's cap hit disappearing as he is physically not able to play at no fault of the Flyers. It's sorta funny watching Holmgren completely ruin a hockey team, but at the same time, you gotta wonder if the league will step in and make a ruling on this case.

Well NJ techincally didn't as they have a $250k cap hit from Kovy until 2025. His big pay days started three years into his contact. The first two years paid him $6M per year while years 3 (12-13 NHL season) - 8 (2017-2018 NHL seaso) paid him the huge salary. Since the team didn't get the full benefit from the way his contract was setup they are not penalized as heavy.

not surprised either. too bad, one hell of a defenseman who could easily played at high level until his 40th in this league.

yes, he was a SOB to play against but also a very intelligent player with huge skills and knowledge of the game.