• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#21 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,743 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 02:56 PM

Too bad, easily one of the best defenseman of his generation I would go Perfect Human - Pronger - S. Niedermayer that's how good Pronger was in his prime. He took a lot of teams on his back and led them to Stanley Cup appearances and even wins, he is physical beast.

All the best to him hopefully Pronger can be symptom free very soon.

btw. how dumb is Holmer? You don't say something like that publically because you are now on the hook for 6 million against your cap, just keep him on LTIR and when his contract is done, anounce his retirement.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#22 AtomicPunk

AtomicPunk

Nobody rules these streets at night like me...

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,099 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 03:09 PM

I was at the game where he "died" on the ice for a few seconds. SCARY. Plus he wore my same number 44. Did not hate him. sorry to see how his career ended.

I am a victim of the science age...the underground.

Feed the Swede! - RETIRED 2012

#23 wingfanatic4alltime

wingfanatic4alltime

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,129 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 03:25 PM

Like many of you I had a healthy hatred towards Pronger but I never want someone's career end due to injuries especially a concussion.  Hopefully he's getting better and can live a normal life.

IN KENNY WE TRUST!!

#24 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,217 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 03:34 PM

Yiiippppeeee!  Couldn't be more happier Baby Huey is retiring!!

:yahoo:  :yahoo:  :yahoo:  :yahoo:

#25 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,533 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 03:36 PM

Heh, Uncle Gary is going to have fun sorting out this mess. Should be fun to see if Philly tries to find a loophole in the bylaws.

Shame about Pronger, I don't feel like enough of those "big names" are being replaced by new players anymore in the NHL. Maybe it's just bad marketing or its the difference in eras.

#26 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,024 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 03:36 PM

When did Pronger ever have a sub-par D Partner, or someone who wasn't at least as good as he was?

In ANA  it was Rob N, STL it was MacInis.

The man was good don't get me wrong, I would have loved him paired with Lids, however to credit him with making the teams he was on great is misleading in my opinion.

I can't speak to his time in St Louis because I really don't remember. But Pronger has never really played with an elite partner, just had them on his team. In Edmonton he played with Jason Smith, then in Anaheim his regular partner was Sean O'Donnell. Finally in Philly I believe most of his time was spent with Matt Carle. He only played with Scotty on the PP in Anaheim.

I wasn't a huge Pronger fan, but he was one of the best of his era easily. He made any team he's ever been on better, except for St Louis, every other team reached the Stanley Cup finals at least once. He was a force, and it's too bad he had to go out this way.

#NOMOREKINDL

#27 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 03:44 PM

I don't feel the least bit sorry for Pronger. 

This is poetic justice for a dirty scumbag of a player who spent his whole career viciously and intentionally trying to injure people.

At least Cooke is trying to pull a Mikita.  Pronger was dirty to the very end.

#28 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,557 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 03:45 PM

Pronger didn't do anything worse than what Chelios had done in his career.  As others have mentioned, he made the teams he was on better and carried a couple of them on his back to the Finals. 

I'm surprised Holmgren said that.  It's a pretty obvious thing but it's not like Pronger had announced retirement or anything.  He'll never play hockey again but hopefully his symptoms improve so he lead a mostly normal life and enjoy spending time with his kids.  Last I heard his symptoms sounded awful.

Yeah, I saw an interview with him recently and it sounded horrible when he explained his symptoms.  I don't wish that on anybody. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#29 FireCaptain

FireCaptain

Whaddya mean I can't beat BOSTON?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,885 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 04:09 PM

How quickly people forget. Pronger basically said he wasn't returning over 7 months ago.

http://www.sportsnet...rom-nhl-return/

http://sportsillustr...ssion-symptoms/

Edited by FireCaptain, 15 October 2013 - 04:09 PM.

Most nights, my posts are brought to you by Heineken and sarcasm.
Success has a thousand fathers, failure is an orphan.
We not score, is hard to win. - Pavel Datsyuk #13

#30 Gordie Howe hat trick

Gordie Howe hat trick

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 05:24 PM

I can't say I'm upset at all by this, nor do I have any sympathy. However I will say: Pity for him that it had to end this way.

"If a guy slashed me, I'd grab his stick, pull him up alongside me and elbow him in the head."

-Gordon "Gordie" Howe-

Overall 3 Gordie Howe hat trick 113 points
2011 playoff pick game

#31 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,557 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 05:33 PM

Heh, Uncle Gary is going to have fun sorting out this mess. Should be fun to see if Philly tries to find a loophole in the bylaws.

Shame about Pronger, I don't feel like enough of those "big names" are being replaced by new players anymore in the NHL. Maybe it's just bad marketing or its the difference in eras.

What does any of this have to do with Gary Bettman?

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#32 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,506 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 06:02 PM

As much as I despised him..........I hope he can recover, and live a productive life.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#33 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 07:22 PM

Did he retire because he's 6'6 and it's physics? 

#34 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,176 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 07:54 PM

Yawningly anti-climatic, and I can't say I'm heartbroken.  I've had a good hate on for Pronger pretty much his entire creed. Glad he's not really hurt or anything, but I'm just as glad he's not playing anymore.
Can't say I'm really upset for Philly, either.  Does that make me a bad person?

Nope. Personally I've always hated the guy so I'm with ya. Can't the flyers do witb Pronger what the Devils did with Kovalchuk? How did that scam artist Lamiorello make Kovy's contract disappear?

Free darkmanx!

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

#35 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,447 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 08:14 PM

Should be fun to see if Philly tries to find a loophole in the bylaws.

What do you mean? What bylaws are you referring to that would require someone to find a loophole?

I'm not sure you could find anyone that thought he would ever play another game, not sure what the news is here.  In terms of forcing him to retire and therefore cause Philly to take the cap hit, how would that be fair?  If Pronger retires, he no longer collects his paycheque....why would he do that.  Not sure if he'd get insurance money or not, if he does, then perhaps retirement is a possibility.

#36 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 08:28 PM

Kind of surprised this is still up on YT.

#37 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 08:37 PM

#38 marcaractac

marcaractac

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 09:05 PM

Nope. Personally I've always hated the guy so I'm with ya. Can't the flyers do witb Pronger what the Devils did with Kovalchuk? How did that scam artist Lamiorello make Kovy's contract disappear?

the 35 and above rule applies to Pronger's contract

#39 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,217 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 09:12 PM

Kind of surprised this is still up on YT.

That's why I have no sympathy for Pronger.

#40 BadgerBob

BadgerBob

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 09:49 PM

Can't say I really feel bad for him at all. Can't respect a guy that stomps on someone with a skate and puts a hit on Homer like that.