Hope he can lead a healthy and productive life off the ice
D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1

#42 Jedi

Jedi

Fire and Blood

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 9,780 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 10:22 PM

Gotta think that the league will start pushing to either hold the Flyers responsible for Pronger's cap hit, or punish them for deliberate circumvention of the cap.  If that were to happen, then I guarantee Holmgren will follow in Laviolette's footsteps...

...out the door...

bdc4.jpg
"I am the sword in the darkness... I am the watcher on the walls..."

#43 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,971 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 02:14 AM

I really have mixed feelings over this.  On the one hand, his symptoms sound horrible.  On the other, I wonder if he's sat at home now thinking "I wish I never smashed Holmstrom's head into the glass.  I wish I never stomped on Kesler"?  The NHL is unquestionably a safer place for Pronger's retirement.  He was a great player, second only to Lidstrom in his generation.  He was also a dirty, cowardly, cheap shotting, spot picking bully who could and should have been called for cross-checking on every shift of his career.  A "tough guy" whose fight card is topped by Dan Cleary and Michael Handzus.

As for cap circumvention, its already cap circumvention even without the whole "retired by not retired".  The guy is signed till he's 43, how is that different to the original Kovy deal?

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#44 cnot19

cnot19

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 02:31 AM

I guess we all saw this coming. He will be missed by me, I always modeled my game off him. Here's to a symptom free eetirement
I guess we all saw this coming. He will be missed by me, I always modeled my game off him rather than lidstrom, even though nick is better :)Here's to a symptom free retirement
Get me a real fourth line Kenny!

#45 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,336 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 06:29 AM

Kind of surprised this is still up on YT.

Just think what he'd get today if he were playing...

Sorta ironic the guy is suffering residual effects from getting his brain bounced around in his skull.

I really have mixed feelings over this.  On the one hand, his symptoms sound horrible.  On the other, I wonder if he's sat at home now thinking "I wish I never smashed Holmstrom's head into the glass.  I wish I never stomped on Kesler"?  The NHL is unquestionably a safer place for Pronger's retirement.  He was a great player, second only to Lidstrom in his generation.  He was also a dirty, cowardly, cheap shotting, spot picking bully who could and should have been called for cross-checking on every shift of his career.  A "tough guy" whose fight card is topped by Dan Cleary and Michael Handzus.

As for cap circumvention, its already cap circumvention even without the whole "retired by not retired".  The guy is signed till he's 43, how is that different to the original Kovy deal?

When you read about what he's been going thru - you tend to feel sorry for him...Then you look at old videos of him at his 'finest' courtesy of YouTube, and suddenly that empathy dries up.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#46 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,659 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 06:38 AM

I still laugh at his signing with the Flyers.  He's 34.  He signs an extension for seven years.  He'll be 35 when it kicks in, so it has the 35+ rules, and the Flyers were, "Um... yeah... uh.... we knew that... did we know that?...and we're ok with it... um... we're really glad to have him and ... um... yeah....hooboy, nobody thought about that, did they?... we're sure he'll be an asset to the team well into his 40's... oh, crap.  I looked it up... they're right... we're on the hook for a 35+ deal... so we're proud and pleased to welcome Chris Pronger to Philadelphia!"

Money on the board:  Current total: 0

$1 for a goal by any current Wing after whom I have named a hamster.  An additional $5 for a series-clinching goal scored by any current Wing after whom I have named a hamster. $5 if the other team fails to score against a current Wing goalie after whom I have named a hamster.

Hamsters I have had:  (current Wings highlighted)

Henrik Pavel Tomas Nicklas Dominik

Niklas Matthew Daniel Robert

Johan Andreas Valtteri Jonathan

Andrew Patrick Ian Todd

Jordin Damien Gustav James

#47 Red Crazy

Red Crazy

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 07:42 AM

Chris Pronger was a great defenseman that played the game about as mean as anyone ever has. He took nasty to a whole new level and that's why some fans hated him and he was boo'd in just about every rink in the league. Love him or hate him he did have a HOF career.

#48 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

GooZe! Z Jr. ~ Acting Captain

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,012 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 08:20 AM

the 35 and above rule applies to Pronger's contract

The new CBA overrides the old CBA though.  Which is why Franzen would carry a cap hit if he retired early even though he is not even 35 yet.  So still, how did Jersey actually get away with Kovalchuk retiring?  I have a feeling that the league may have a case on their hands for Pronger's cap hit disappearing as he is physically not able to play at no fault of the Flyers.  It's sorta funny watching Holmgren completely ruin a hockey team, but at the same time, you gotta wonder if the league will step in and make a ruling on this case.

This offseason will determine whether Ken Holland should still be employed with the Wings organization.

Please put Smith on the Power Play!

#49 Kira

Kira

"I hope you're not from KGB"

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,553 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 10:36 AM

So long, sucker.  Don't let the door kick you in the ass on the way out.

Posted Image

#50 dragonballgtz

dragonballgtz

Yu-Gi-HOE

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,389 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 08:05 PM

The new CBA overrides the old CBA though.  Which is why Franzen would carry a cap hit if he retired early even though he is not even 35 yet.  So still, how did Jersey actually get away with Kovalchuk retiring?  I have a feeling that the league may have a case on their hands for Pronger's cap hit disappearing as he is physically not able to play at no fault of the Flyers.  It's sorta funny watching Holmgren completely ruin a hockey team, but at the same time, you gotta wonder if the league will step in and make a ruling on this case.

Well NJ techincally didn't as they have a $250k cap hit from Kovy until 2025. His big pay days started three years into his contact. The first two years paid him $6M per year while years 3 (12-13 NHL season) - 8 (2017-2018 NHL seaso) paid him the huge salary. Since the team didn't get the full benefit from the way his contract was setup they are not penalized as heavy.

#51 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,364 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 11:02 PM

Not surprised. 

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#52 akustyk

akustyk

how painful is painful?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,170 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 04:46 AM

not surprised either. too bad, one hell of a defenseman who could easily played at high level until his 40th in this league.

yes, he was a SOB to play against but also a very intelligent player with huge skills and knowledge of the game. 

#53 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,348 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 05:10 AM

I almost feel bad for him, until I realize that if it was someone else this happened to that he was the cause of, he wouldn't care, he would probably laugh and say good.
I'm a Red Wing for the next three years and I'm going to make sure every team we play knows that.'' -- Jordin Tootoo

#54 MidMichSteve

MidMichSteve

Thanks to #5

• HoF Booster
  • 4,154 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 06:59 AM

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=Y4KBkhpU6sI

My all time favorite Pronger moment.

From now on, Patrick Roy will be rolled out to and from the Avs' bench like Hannibal Lecter. - BottleOfSmoke

#55 MidMichSteve

MidMichSteve

Thanks to #5

• HoF Booster
  • 4,154 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 07:05 AM

Then there was this.

prongerozzy.jpg

From now on, Patrick Roy will be rolled out to and from the Avs' bench like Hannibal Lecter. - BottleOfSmoke

#56 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,404 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 11:53 AM

When you think of recent players who had that "old-time hockey" mindset, he should be on the list.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#57 lomekian

lomekian

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 09:39 PM

Brilliant player, who was the best D-man on every team he played on. Sadly, never learnt the difference between being a mean S-O-B and being a dirty, spot-picking, snide bully who was a cheap shot master. I'm sure if he had played for Bowman he would have learnt to be a better and less dirty player. But he was always playing on teams known to be indulgent towards dirty play....

#58 Kira

Kira

"I hope you're not from KGB"

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,553 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 11:35 PM

Hope he can lead a healthy and productive life off the ice

Hell, he didn't lead one ON the ice, what makes  you think he'd lead one off ice?

Posted Image

#59 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,547 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 12:21 AM

Hell, he didn't lead one ON the ice, what makes  you think he'd lead one off ice?

18 NHL seasons. 698 points. A Stanley Cup, Hart and Norris trophy. Gold in the Worlds, Jrs and Olympics.

He led a very productive one on the ice.

#60 Crashnburnluder

Crashnburnluder

Crashnburnluder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,194 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 11:20 AM

Last I heard Philly won't be responsible for the cap hit because it is a legitimate injury... Now I don't know if they retire him or if he just rides the IR for 4 more years