Photo
- - - - -

% Chance that Monster can Survive B2B Games?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,910 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 11:30 AM

nice straw man. i dont think i've ever seen someone on lgw advocae for 15 minutes for the 4th line. most people feel its reasonable to see the 4th line get close to 10 minutes and not just 7 like tootoo does. sure he doesn't play on the pk like his linemates, but sometimes after a special teams shift, you put a broken line out there to get fresh guys on. its not like we would be inventing some brand new concept.

on topic: those 2 games were huge for gustavsson. it should help his confidence immensely. also, it will hopefully convince babcock that he can actually sit jimmy once in a while. even though it was the first wek of the season, it was already unfortunate that the first back to bak we had howard started both games. if they genuinely dont want to overuse howard, they have to start early and give him nights off. in their first chance of the season they didn't do that. i am hoping that these good performances will give them confidence to make the better long term decisions going forward. (and yes i know it was only 1 situation and its a long season. its not over reaction, its just evaluating what we have seen thus far)

Well I was obviously being a tad facetious but my point was still valid. Unless we have a penalty free game on both sides of the ice you won't see him get 10 minutes

#22 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,305 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 11:41 AM

Trust in Gus Gus?
D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1

#23 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,302 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 03:13 PM

The Monster has so much talent, I really hope he will get the chance to become a number 1 goalie somewhere maybe Edmonton? after this season. he deserves all the luck in the world

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

<< Win it for Mr. Hockey !

#24 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,936 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 04:44 PM

The Monster has so much talent, I really hope he will get the chance to become a number 1 goalie somewhere maybe Edmonton? after this season. he deserves all the luck in the world

Completely agree.  He has a lot of potential that has been stifled playing on teams like Toronto and getting injured.

Since I'm high on Mrazek (cautiously high- maybe mezzanine-level), I'd like to see Monster get something nice next year.  Maybe we can thank him for his efforts by increasing his value when he hits free agency by winning a Cup for his resume.

Plus with Nyquist looming on the horizon, having Monster move on will help with the Gus-Gus situation.

#25 darkmanx

darkmanx

Toronto's Finest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,777 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 04:54 PM

Would be awesome to see Monster get some more games this year, and let Howard rest for the playoffs and long run. Would be a plus to even have monster get his trade value up and get something for him if possible and bring Mrazek in for backup.

#26 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,330 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 05:10 PM

Gustavsson was never as bad as he looked last year, and once you dig into the stats a little bit you realize he wasn't even THAT bad during that campaign.  I'm prefacing this by saying that when your team doesn't score at all, or when they get blown out, the goalie is not really to blame.  So in the 0-6 loss to St. Louis and the 1-7 loss to Chicago (in both games Howard got scored on more than Gus) he's not really to blame.  Likewise, in the 0-3 loss to Columbus he's not really to blame.  Obviously something was wrong in that game, and upon inspection you'll find that we lost 66% of total faceoffs, and turned the puck over 11 times. 

So excluding those games you're left with...

3-4 overtime loss (in this game we had 19 turnovers and gave Nashville 6 powerplays)

2-1 shootout win

2-5 loss (purely Gustavsson's fault, 5 goals on 22 shots)

3-2 win

Not great by any means, but he had as many good games as bad ones last year.

Edited by kipwinger, 16 October 2013 - 08:10 PM.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#27 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,042 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 05:45 PM

I see the nickname monster comes from all the monster rebounds he gives up. Holy crap.