• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
cusimano_brothers

Sabres' Kaleta suspended 10 games.

Rate this topic

From NHL dot com:

Buffalo Sabres forward Patrick Kaleta has been suspended for 10 games, without pay, for an illegal check to the head of Columbus Blue Jackets defenseman Jack Johnson during NHL Game No. 49 in Buffalo on Thursday, October 10, the National Hockey League's Department of Player Safety announced today.

Kaleta is considered a repeat offender under the terms of the Collective Bargaining Agreement and, based on his average annual salary, will forfeit $152,439.00. The money goes to the Players' Emergency Assistance Fund.

This is one of my all-time favourite Shannyvisions; the real problem is Kaleta is too easy a target.

I remember the time when Ryan Miller told reporters he - Kaleta - needed to grow up, or something to that effect. Granted, he was speaking in reference to a specific incident. But the point is Kaleta is cheese. Reckless, dangerous cheese.

As much as I don't like Kaleta, 10 games for that hit is really excessive. Was the head targeted? Absolutely. Was it reckless? You bet. I think a few games is appropriate.

What I don't understand is how the refs missed it. There wasn't even a penalty called on the play.

It's not excessive to me as I don't see it as just for that hit. As Shanny points out, Kaleta was fined or suspended 6 times in the last four seasons. Kaleta was suspended 5 games for boarding just last march. We're only five games into the season and he hits Johnson in the head.

Plus that hit was the exact kind the league is trying to eliminate. Johnson was moving along the boards at a slow and consistent speed. He was an easy target for a solid check to the body. Instead Kaleta chose to fly by, raise his shoulder and clip Johnson in the head. At the NHL level you don't accidentally miss hitting someone like that when they're barely moving.

This wasn't just a suspension for that hit. This was a message-sending suspension to a dirty player like Kaleta.

It's not excessive to me as I don't see it as just for that hit. As Shanny points out, Kaleta was fined or suspended 6 times in the last four seasons. Kaleta was suspended 5 games for boarding just last march. We're only five games into the season and he hits Johnson in the head.

Plus that hit was the exact kind the league is trying to eliminate. Johnson was moving along the boards at a slow and consistent speed. He was an easy target for a solid check to the body. Instead Kaleta chose to fly by, raise his shoulder and clip Johnson in the head. At the NHL level you don't accidentally miss hitting someone like that when they're barely moving.

This wasn't just a suspension for that hit. This was a message-sending suspension to a dirty player like Kaleta.

Agreed on all points. It's pure disrespect for the safety of other players, and it has no place in the game. What's really annoying about Kaleta is that he doesn't even need to be playing like that. He could, if he wanted, play exactly like Jordin Tootoo and perhaps better. He's capable of skating a regular shift at the NHL level, he's got good skating, defense, and penalty killing ability and has also shown that he can chip in respectable offensive numbers for a fourth liner. He's no George Parros. He could be a productive bottom sixer if he'd pull his head out of his ass.

Edited by kipwinger

@Real_ESPNLeBrun: The transformed Matt Cooke offers help to Patrick Kaleta. My story today, http://t.co/DpWWTf7c1M

What's funny is Cooke talks about it as if he had to adjust some subtle aspects of his technique. As if his history was an inadvertent and unfortunate part of his playing style.

When really it comes down to 1) don't elbow guys in the head. 2) don't hit guys square in the numbers and ram them facefirst into the boards, 3) don't stick out your knee to hit another guys leg as you check them.

Voila! With those complex adjustments to Matt Cooke's game, 99% of his suspensions would be gone.

What's funny is Cooke talks about it as if he had to adjust some subtle aspects of his technique. As if his history was an inadvertent and unfortunate part of his playing style.

When really it comes down to 1) don't elbow guys in the head. 2) don't hit guys square in the numbers and ram them facefirst into the boards, 3) don't stick out your knee to hit another guys leg as you check them.

Voila! With those complex adjustments to Matt Cooke's game, 99% of his suspensions would be gone.

"It’s just a read. If you don’t change the way you visually see the game, then change is impossible." - Matt Cooke

Translation: Once you begin seeing opposing players as human beings, and not like animals to be slaughtered, it's much easier to play hockey without intentionally trying to ruin their lives.

Wowoh so it's hard having to learn how to not act like a complete DB and respect the safety of other players instead of hiding behind a bear like MacIntyre, who has to clean up your crap? How impressive...ask Karlson, Savard about that changed player thing..

what's funny is the Penguins are always talking about player safety and then they sign guys like Cooke..

Wowoh so it's hard having to learn how to not act like a complete DB and respect the safety of other players instead of hiding behind a bear like MacIntyre, who has to clean up your crap? How impressive...ask Karlson, Savard about that changed player thing..

what's funny is the Penguins are always talking about player safety and then they sign guys like Cooke..

You might have a point about Karlsson, if you think Cooke intentionally tried to cut his ankle. But you're off base with Savard. That hit happened in 2010 and Cooke was not given a suspension. It wasn't until the 2011 hit on McDonagh that Cooke received his lengthy suspension and subsequently "cleaned up his act". Whether you believe that he is reformed or not, you certainly cannot claim that the Savard hit is proof that he isn't because that hit happened prior to his supposed reformation.

Additionally, I would like to point out that in the two seasons since his big suspension he's had 44 and 36 penalty minutes respectively, with zero major penalties, and one misconducts in combined seasons. Prior to the suspension he was coming off three straight 100+ pim seasons, with 12 majors and 7 misconducts combined. Compare his last two years with Abdelkader's 62 and 34 pims, 8 majors, and one misconduct during that same time span and you'll see that there's at least some reason to believe that he's turned his game around.

The real issue is that he should have been playing that way the whole time.

@Real_ESPNLeBrun: The transformed Matt Cooke offers help to Patrick Kaleta. My story today, http://t.co/DpWWTf7c1M

The problem is that Cooke actually has hockey skills, so he was able to change his game and still be a valuable player. Kaleta doesn't really have hockey skills.

As much as I don't like Kaleta, 10 games for that hit is really excessive. Was the head targeted? Absolutely. Was it reckless? You bet. I think a few games is appropriate.

What I don't understand is how the refs missed it. There wasn't even a penalty called on the play.

A few games would be about right for most players in the league, but not Kaleta. The extra games are due to his rep, which I'm perfectly happy with. The big problem for him though, if he doesn't play the way he plays, he's probably out of the league. That might be best though.

The problem is that Cooke actually has hockey skills, so he was able to change his game and still be a valuable player. Kaleta doesn't really have hockey skills.

A few games would be about right for most players in the league, but not Kaleta. The extra games are due to his rep, which I'm perfectly happy with. The big problem for him though, if he doesn't play the way he plays, he's probably out of the league. That might be best though.

I think you're wholly misrepresenting Kaleta here. He's never going to be confused with Henrik Zetterberg, but as far as bottom sixers go, he's got pretty good skating, defense, and penalty killing ability. He doesn't light the world on fire offensively, but then again he's a fourth line agitator for Buffalo, so his chances to put the puck on net are few and far between.

My old roomie was from Buffalo and I've had to sit through far more of their games than a person ever should, so I've seen quite a lot of Kaleta over the years. As I said before, he's as good as Tootoo and probably better. Kaleta's problem isn't his game, it's all between the ears.

Edited by kipwinger

I think you're wholly misrepresenting Kaleta here. He's never going to be confused with Henrik Zetterberg, but as far as bottom sixers go, he's got pretty good skating, defense, and penalty killing ability. He doesn't light the world on fire offensively, but then again he's a fourth line agitator for Buffalo, so his chances to put the puck on net are few and far between.

My old roomie was from Buffalo and I've had to sit through far more of their games than a person ever should, so I've seen quite a lot of Kaleta over the years. As I said before, he's as good as Tootoo and probably better. Kaleta's problem isn't his game, it's all between the ears.

I've probably exaggerated his lack of hocky skills, but I think his true value lies somewhere between what I said and how you are representing him to be.

Loophole time...again; from The Score:

Buffalo Sabres forward Patrick Kaleta is appealing a 10-game suspension the NHL issued for an illegal check to the head of Columbus Blue Jackets defenseman Jack Johnson last week.

The appeal was filed Wednesday evening by the NHL Players' Association on the player's behalf. The league hasn't yet announced when the appeal will be heard.

From NHL:

NEW YORK -- Commissioner Gary Bettman today upheld the 10-game suspension that was assessed to Buffalo Sabres forward Patrick Kaleta by the Department of Player Safety for an illegal check to the head of Columbus Blue Jackets defenseman Jack Johnson in NHL Game No. 49 in Buffalo on October 10.

That must have been quite the presentation by Kaleta.

From Buffalo News:

The Sabres have waived forward Patrick Kaleta.

The right winger was eligible to return from his 10-game suspension tonight, but instead General Manager Darcy Regier placed the Angola native on waivers. If not claimed by another NHL team, Kaleta will be eligible to be sent to Rochester.

This was a move we thought was necessary to help Pat change his game and preserve his career in this league,” Regier said in a statement. “We believe in Pat as a person and we hope he will continue his career in our organization and, if the circumstances are right, with the Buffalo Sabres.”

Problem identified, problem solved.

Before you ask, the answer is "N".