• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
matthewdanna

Lineup Crunch: Who's going?

Rate this topic

Good for you, I had a feeling that's where we were headed. I didnt think I needed to, but you have said it yourself. He plays a limited role on a team that put most emphasis on skill. Doesnt mean he can or should be replaced by anybody and Eaves is not the guy in my opinion.

So you're not going to address a single thing I said and focus solely on my well documented opposition to fighting eh? Again, please tell me what he brings to the table that's worth 1.9 million dollars to a cap crunched team?

So you're not going to address a single thing I said and focus solely on my well documented opposition to fighting eh? Again, please tell me what he brings to the table that's worth 1.9 million dollars to a cap crunched team?

Read my previous posts again and you will find the answer. This is getting redundant.

That had nothing to do with loyalty. Two years is not a long contract, and the 2012 UFA class was so piss-poor and full of NTCs that any player of moderate ability could demand one.

I guess he's a hoarder then. Someone from that show needs to come over and clean that place out.

Regardless of the particulars, or the semantics, it was not a good contract. I've been a big Holland defender and Sammy defender, but it's getting ridiculous

. Nobody wanted Samuelsson so why pay him 3 million a year with a no trade clause? Did he not know the salary cap was going down? Did he not know players down on the farm are ripening and getting ready?

Nobody wanted Tootoo so why pay him so much?

Except for the first line, we are playing like crap. We are a one line team with one good PowerPlay unit. It's too bad we are eking out victories because that lulls them into thinking we are playing well enough, Takes any urgency out of the situation.

So tell me, if no one else wanted Sammy, then why 3 million and and NTC, instead of 2 million without an NTC?

Call it what you want, Holland moves like a sloth. The question stands; how bad would it ever have to get before Holland pulled the plug on Babcock?

Call it what you want, Holland moves like a sloth. The question stands; how bad would it ever have to get before Holland pulled the plug on Babcock?

Patience. That would be another way to put it. There's not a more patient GM out there. Sometimes to a fault.

Babcock would probably fire himself before Holland had a chance.

Edited by rick zombo

Read my previous posts again and you will find the answer. This is getting redundant.

Well I guess that in your previous posts you've failed miserably to justify Tootoo's contract based on "bringing energy" and "pumping up the crowd". And how could you not? I mean, with the veritable cornucopia of sound, fact based, information you've provided I can't help but come to the light. I had no idea that being a hype man and "pumping up the crowd" by "bringing energy" was worth so much in your eyes.

I guess you've won me over. I'm going to head over to Youtube right now and look up some old Public Enemy videos. Nobody could "bring energy" and "pump up the crowd" like Flava Flav.

Good win dude. Good win.

This weekend could be interesting. if both are healthy we have to move a forward, but who and how are key. dumping any one of eaves, tootoo, or Sammy doesn't do much cap wise. None of course have any trade value. Best option would be for someone to get dinged up over the next 3 games and the problem gets solved for a couple of weeks.

Outside the box thought, with Smith struggling and Lashoff playing well, maybe Smith goes down for a bit. Only keep 6 D on the roster for a week or 2. its not like GR is a long way away and a guy can't drive over in an afternoon. You only dress 6 D anyway. No not a long term thing, but for a week or 2 might work.

This weekend could be interesting. if both are healthy we have to move a forward, but who and how are key. dumping any one of eaves, tootoo, or Sammy doesn't do much cap wise. None of course have any trade value. Best option would be for someone to get dinged up over the next 3 games and the problem gets solved for a couple of weeks.

Outside the box thought, with Smith struggling and Lashoff playing well, maybe Smith goes down for a bit. Only keep 6 D on the roster for a week or 2. its not like GR is a long way away and a guy can't drive over in an afternoon. You only dress 6 D anyway. No not a long term thing, but for a week or 2 might work.

Smith would never clear waivers

And with Sammy gone, possibly Bert and Alfie retiring we are going to have a lot of coin to go after someone...

Perhaps Vanek? Callahan?

I figure with Tatar, Cleary, Ericsson, DeKyser, and Glendening getting raises, that would leave with something like 5 million in cap space to chase an FA, give or take

Not sure he has to.

He has to, not waiver exempt.

Smith would never clear waivers

While there's only been 3 players claimed on waivers since the end of training camp from what I remember, most of what's been sent down are your typical career 4th liners. Smith, despite not looking all that good so far this season, would be snapped up in a heartbeat. If the Wings desided to only dress 6 d-men in an effort to help towards cap compliance, and I really don't think they would, the odd man out would be DeKeyser who is still waiver exempt. If Smith goes anywhere, it would be in a trade.

Regarding Sammy, I think the Wings should waive him down to GR to at least have $925K or whatever it is of his salary exempt for the remainder of the season so we can keep useful players up like Glendening or Nyquist. Waive Eaves down to have some relief as well and keep the cheap guys like Glendening and Nyquist on the Wings roster.

Regarding Sammy, I think the Wings should waive him down to GR to at least have $925K or whatever it is of his salary exempt for the remainder of the season so we can keep useful players up like Glendening or Nyquist. Waive Eaves down to have some relief as well and keep the cheap guys like Glendening and Nyquist on the Wings roster.

They only save $100k against the cap by sending Sammy to GR

I figure with Tatar, Cleary, Ericsson, DeKyser, and Glendening getting raises, that would leave with something like 5 million in cap space to chase an FA, give or take

When we get into waivers I get lost, don't have that much time on my hands. thanks for the correct answer.

The last part of this is: helm has to play his 2 or 3 games, play well, and come out of those games 100%. yet to be seen if that can/does happen. Hope it does.

Guest Crymson

I doubt Cleary will get a raise.

I kinda got the impression that he would have signed a multi-year deal if not for our cap situation.

Instead he signed for a discount this year and will get more next year.

Pure speculation on my part but I wouldn't be surprised if that's how it plays out.

It obviously depends on the year he has, and how much the cap goes up, if any. This year's free agency was a typical for sure, but even then there weren't too many teams beating down Dan Cleary's door. I don't expect him to get much of a raise, if he gets one at all it will be because he signed a very favorable deal for the Wings this year and they feel he deserves an atta boy.

It obviously depends on the year he has, and how much the cap goes up, if any. This year's free agency was a typical for sure, but even then there weren't too many teams beating down Dan Cleary's door. I don't expect him to get much of a raise, if he gets one at all it will be because he signed a very favorable deal for the Wings this year and they feel he deserves an atta boy.

I honestly don't think he'd get a raise. He'll be another year older, that much more of a toll on his body. And he already came back to Detroit for less money because he wanted to stay here so badly.

People aren't gonna like this (and I'm not crazy about it either) but if Cleary has a good season and wants to come back I don't think he'll get more money, I think he'll take longer term. Given Holland's past history, I think 3 years is a possibility.

But Cleary would be a 35+ contract at that point. Maybe Kenny will learn from Sammy not to throw around 35+ contracts and NTC's anymore. Though it's an insult to Cleary to compare him to Sammy right now.

I honestly don't think he'd get a raise. He'll be another year older, that much more of a toll on his body. And he already came back to Detroit for less money because he wanted to stay here so badly.

People aren't gonna like this (and I'm not crazy about it either) but if Cleary has a good season and wants to come back I don't think he'll get more money, I think he'll take longer term. Given Holland's past history, I think 3 years is a possibility.

But Cleary would be a 35+ contract at that point. Maybe Kenny will learn from Sammy not to throw around 35+ contracts and NTC's anymore. Though it's an insult to Cleary to compare him to Sammy right now.

All valid points. It's probable he wouldn't get a raise, the thing that has me wondering though is that IF the Wings wanted him back badly enough, and there is some indication that Babs really wanted him back, then it's possible they had a gentleman's agreement to sign for a little less this year and a little more next. I'm not talking huge variation or anything, but a slight bump as a pat on the back for helping them retain a player that they wanted and still not go overboard with the cap. Such backdoor agreements do happen though, considering that was all the talk this year when the Alfie talks with Ottawa went to hell.

You knew someone would get dinged up. Sooner or later.

Too true. Too bad it wasn't a hangnail or something. I don't want any serious injuries- certainly not concussions.

This does buy us some time. Just hope they can work something out quickly and Nik is back and healthy.

Too true. Too bad it wasn't a hangnail or something. I don't want any serious injuries- certainly not concussions.

This does buy us some time. Just hope they can work something out quickly and Nik is back and healthy.

If he's flying with the team then it's a mild concussion and he will probably be out a week or two. If it was serious he would have been sent to the hospital for sure and would definitely not be allowed to fly right away.

With regards to Cleary, he's still a heart and soul guy, and has a role in the bottom 6, but we have to be realistic like we were about Draper and Maltby. How many times have you heard "and the puck is just too hit for Cleary to handle" or "Cleary just misses the puck" or see Cleary fall down with no one around him? Hint: you'd die if it was a drinking game.