• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,540 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 12:34 PM

BTW the RW are the second oldest team in the NHL. But of course that isn't the point of this thread. I said before the season I thought we would start of well. Our speed and skill would be an advantage for the first 30-50 games. Our D is playing well-expected, our G's are playing well-expected, and we are struggling to score-also expected. At some point we need a second line to gel, which hasn't happened as of yet.

But so far, so good. Enjoy it while it lasts!

They're the fourth oldest team in the league behind New Jersey, Florida, and Pittsburgh.  But you're right, it's not the point of this thread.

http://stats.nhlnumbers.com/teams

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#22 Richdg

Richdg

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,000 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 01:20 PM

They're the fourth oldest team in the league behind New Jersey, Florida, and Pittsburgh.  But you're right, it's not the point of this thread.

http://stats.nhlnumbers.com/teams

It changes every time a team makes a move, but 2nd or 4th, doesn't really matter.

#23 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,540 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 02:57 PM

It changes every time a team makes a move, but 2nd or 4th, doesn't really matter.

I agree, but you could just as easily say 4th or 10th, doesn't really matter.  The average ages are so tight across the league that it's pretty hard to argue that one team is "old" and therefore disadvantaged, while another is "young" and therefore has a leg up.  Not that you were making that argument, but others have.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#24 themcityblues

themcityblues

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 749 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 02:59 PM

Overall, I'm happy with where we're at. I do miss the old ways of the old days, when we could snooze for an entire game and still win by a four-goal margin, relying on our obscene collective skill level alone to carry us. But those days are long gone, and you know what? In a way, it's a good thing. Because it means every man except Franzen has to really bring it every game or we're in trouble. I'm not necessarily saying our, say, blue line is better without Lidstrom, Stuart, and Rafalski (it's not), but you get the point. There can't be any coasting except by Franzen, and I like that. It brings out the best in all the guys except Franzen . It keeps everybody but Franzen honest.

Same idea with Helm and Nyquist being out. Everybody but Franzen is having to find a way to get things done without them, and so when they do finally return, it should - like Holland says - be like adding two big acquisitions to an already formidable lineup.

I think the biggest and/or most plesant surprise - at least for me - has been Daniel Alfredsson. We're all expecting him to be a secondary or tertiary contributor, but so far he's been one of our most valuable players. (Alright, maybe not from the beginning of the season - but certainly over the past several games.) It's funnny because, the way Holland framed it, Alfie is supposed to be more of a goal-scorer and Weiss is supposed to be more of a playmaker. But it's sort of been the other way around, no?

#25 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,197 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 03:10 PM

I agree, but you could just as easily say 4th or 10th, doesn't really matter.  The average ages are so tight across the league that it's pretty hard to argue that one team is "old" and therefore disadvantaged, while another is "young" and therefore has a leg up.  Not that you were making that argument, but others have.

exactly, would you rather have a 26 year old or a 27 year old player... it's not much different