• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hockeytown0001

10/17 GDT : Red Wings 4 at Avalanche 2

Rate this topic

Coach Mike Babcock said he’ll use the same lineup he has the past couple of games:

Henrik Zetterberg-Pavel Datsyuk-Todd Bertuzzi

Johan Franzen-Stephen Weiss-Justin Abdelkader

Daniel Cleary-Joakim Andersson-Daniel Alfredsson

Drew Miller-Luke Glendening-Jordin Tootoo

Niklas Kronwall-Jonathan Ericsson

Kyle Quincey-Danny DeKeyser

Jakub Kindl-Brian Lashoff

Jonas Gustavsson (starting)

Jimmy Howard

Healthy scratches: Mikael Samuelsson, Tomas Tatar, Brendan Smith

Tatar will be healthy scratch for the sixth time in seven games.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2013/10/red_wings_jonas_gustavsson_fac.html

Edited by rrasco

Childhood? Now you make me feel old. It was a big part of my middleagedhood.

Go Wings. Crush Roy.

You'll always be a young woman to me: I would always play on the little league all star team with Pat LaFontaine while growing up.

Hard to change a winning lineup but think Tatar could have helped us against the Avs speed.

Gus in net again? Hope he can have another strong game, but it will be a big test. 3 straight solid performances would really solidify him as someone to count on this season.

Looking forward to seeing Colorado, but the Wings better be ready, this is the hottest team we've faced this year.

Edited by dat's sick

Hard to change a winning lineup but think Tatar could have helped us against the Avs speed.

Gus in net again? Hope he can have another strong game, but it will be a big test. 3 straight solid performances would really solidify him as someone to count on this season.

Looking forward to seeing Colorado, but the Wings better be ready, this is the hottest team we've faced this year.

Agreed.

It's unfortunate if Smith ends up getting the Ian White treatment. He didn't get off to a great start but it was only 4 games and he's only 24 years old. Him sitting on the bench is a waste of an asset. Hopefully he'll get back in and settle down.

Agreed.

It's unfortunate if Smith ends up getting the Ian White treatment. He didn't get off to a great start but it was only 4 games and he's only 24 years old. Him sitting on the bench is a waste of an asset. Hopefully he'll get back in and settle down.

Given how everybody is playing right now, who do you scratch to get him back in the lineup though?

Agreed.

Smith will get back in but right now Lashoff is actually playing surprisingly well and Smith was off to a rough start. Hopefully this motivates him to be better when he gets back in the line-up.

There is also the possibility that he's one of the guys potentially moved out to clear cap and roster space.

I like that Roy's been very humble about things. ("We have to earn back respectability, we're not on the same level as the Wings" - something to that effect.) I guess that makes me a big homer - but he's probably talking with his fingers crossed anyway.

I really can't put into words how awesome the rivalry was. For a few years, it really was a blood feud. These guys absolutely hated each other, and so did their fans. I was, again, just a kid way back in the mid-90s, and I absolutely detested everything about the organization with all of my heart and soul. Healthy? Maybe not. But awesome? Yes.

Remember, what was it, the '97 series?, when we won 6-0 at home, then went into their barn and lost 6-0? Just great narrative stuff like that, that's what really made the rivalry great, IMHO. It was like stuff out of a book or something.

Given how everybody is playing right now, who do you scratch to get him back in the lineup though?

No, I know. The defensive corps is looking pretty good right now. It's not that I think someone is playing bad enough to be taken out in Smith's place. I just hope he can get worked back in.

Smith has the potential to be a better version of Quincey or Kindl, though it hasn't looked like it lately. But he needs to get back out there to ever find out. I could see him taking Lashoff's spot if he stumbles.

Smith will get back in but right now Lashoff is actually playing surprisingly well and Smith was off to a rough start. Hopefully this motivates him to be better when he gets back in the line-up.

There is also the possibility that he's one of the guys potentially moved out to clear cap and roster space.

Agreed.

I haven't seen every game but the ones of Smith I did see, his problems didn't even seem so much bad decision making as he just looked bad on his skates. Like he was flailing around or something. Easily pushed around, off balance. It's strange.

Agreed.

I haven't seen every game but the ones of Smith I did see, his problems didn't even seem so much bad decision making as he just looked bad on his skates. Like he was flailing around or something. Easily pushed around, off balance. It's strange.

Also agreed. Except, I think it was more bad decisions than anything else. But maybe that's why I'm not the head coach.

I'd be really surprised if Holland traded Smith.

No, I know. The defensive corps is looking pretty good right now. It's not that I think someone is playing bad enough to be taken out in Smith's place. I just hope he can get worked back in.

Smith has the potential to be a better version of Quincey or Kindl, though it hasn't looked like it lately. But he needs to get back out there to ever find out. I could see him taking Lashoff's spot if he stumbles.

Agreed.

I agree with this, provided he maxes out his potential. There are a few things though that I think he could do to really improve his game so far. In the d-zone he tends to puck watch and loses his man, and then he's caught running around trying to catch up. He's really got to work on staying in his spot and not drifting toward the puck. Offensively, he doesn't seem to respond very well to pressure from the forecheck. When pressured, he'll make bad passes. I'd like to see him use his skating ability (his best asset) to relieve that pressure before he passes. A couple of strides before the pass would help a lot in that regard. Finally, until he's got the experience and comfort level he needs to jump into the play safely, he should only rush to a point. I don't want to see him completely stop his jumps, but he typically ends up way too low for his own good. Until he's got a better grip on when and where he can do it safely I'd prefer he pull up and get back into position before he reaches the dots.

Little more insight

http://www.kansascity.com/2013/10/17/4558298/detroit-red-wings-5-2-0-at-colorado.html

""It's not something I'm looking at. To be truthful, I'm not really excited about the record. I'm excited about how our team is winning, and any problems we can fix on Thursday (against Detroit)," Roy said.

Tremblay took over head coaching duties for the Montreal Canadiens six games into the 1995-96 campaign and won his first six contests. His No. 1 goaltender to begin his tenure with the Habs was Roy, though the two had a strained relationship.

It came to a head on Dec. 2, 1995, when Tremblay left Roy in net for nine goals in an 11-1 loss to the Red Wings. Roy was finally pulled in the second period and stormed past Tremblay on the bench. He was traded to Colorado four days after the incident and won a pair of Stanley Cups with the Avalanche.

Now Roy will get a chance to match Tremblay's mark against those same Red Wings, long a rival of the Avalanche. Detroit won all three meetings last season and has won seven of the previous 10 encounters overall."

Full circle stuff. Love it.

Definitely the most anticipated matchup of the season so far for me (given the 6-0 start under Patty).

What concerns me most is those lucky bounces,posts,and blocked shots from Weiss sitting on his backside that kept monster in previous games will only keep happening for so long. His lateral movement needs improving IMO but hes been relatively solid nonetheless.

Were gonna need our PK and PP to cash in and id like to see a hustle out of Francine, aswell as the 4th line given the Avs speed. Our D has been good, just has to minimalize the turnovers in our zone.

All in all, If we see the team we saw agsinst Boston game one, were cooked, if we see the team we saw against Boston game 2 were in for a win.

Opinions?

Edited by RedWang

Definitely the most anticipated matchup of the season so far for me (given the 6-0 start under Patty).

What concerns me most is those lucky bounces,posts,and blocked shots from Weiss sitting on his backside that kept monster in previous games will only keep happening for so long. His lateral movement needs improving IMO but hes been relatively solid nonetheless.

Were gonna need our PK and PP to cash in and id like to see a hustle out of Francine, aswell as the 4th line given the Avs speed. Our D has been good, just has to minimalize the turnovers in our zone.

All in all, If we see the team we saw agsinst Boston game one, were cooked, if we aee the team we saw against Boston game 2 were in for a win.

Opinions on my first long post gentleman?

Yeah, the Wings wear red and white.

Interesting: I haven't seen or heard anything about Lemieux-on-Draper in the press, media...anywhere. I guess people sorta forget (or don't want to mention?) that that's really where it all began, what fueled the hatred.

So Gusty's in net tonight?