• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#41 ElCapitan

ElCapitan

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 11:13 AM

To be fair, his tune changed when it became clear that Kronwall was hurt. However, as somebody who lives in Denver I can tell you that he's nearly unbearable to listen to on an even semi-regular basis. He's basically a less entertaining, less intelligent version of Jack Edwards.

To be fair, HF is HF, and the average Avalanche fans are (aside from "Red Wings suck" chants) not that bad. I've been to many games at the Pepsi Center, and I've never been accosted or messed with. Coincidentally, the Wings have also won every single game I've gone to. I wish I'd gone last night.

Mike Haynes has toned it down a bit but is still a jack wagon.  He was far worse when he was announcing on the radio.  One time I heard him call Darren McCarty a ****** bag on the air.  His comments from last night's game have made national news & I'm sure he's catching crap for it.  http://www.bing.com/...cer&form=OSDSRC

#42 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,014 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 11:34 AM

Colorado's McLeod offered in-person hearing

Sorry if this was already posted.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#43 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

Kate: Jr. Wing Nut

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 01:49 PM

To be fair, his tune changed when it became clear that Kronwall was hurt. However, as somebody who lives in Denver I can tell you that he's nearly unbearable to listen to on an even semi-regular basis. He's basically a less entertaining, less intelligent version of Jack Edwards.

To be fair, HF is HF, and the average Avalanche fans are (aside from "Red Wings suck" chants) not that bad. I've been to many games at the Pepsi Center, and I've never been accosted or messed with. Coincidentally, the Wings have also won every single game I've gone to. I wish I'd gone last night.

To me, whether he's injured on the play or not is irrelevant.  It was a dirty, dirty hit that shouldn't be celebrated from the moment it took place.  Just like when Lemuiex destroyed Draper and the fan base started calling him the "Draperizer".  Pathetic.

....And make no mistake, I love Kronwall, but some of his hits are borderline.  I've never seen someone push the envelope as much as he does and yet 99.9% of his hits are clean.

It's amazing how much clarity comes when you care more about the Red Wings than any individual player.

"They are the best team in the world. They are a team that can just take over when they want to," Chicago's Patrick Kane said (of the Detroit Red Wings).

#44 BottleOfSmoke

BottleOfSmoke

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,964 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 02:45 PM

Agreed. I like a good, hard, bone crushing, CLEAN hit as much as the next person, but I will never understand celebrating or poking fun at injury. There are human beings with families in those jerseys, and an injury doesn't just affect the player.

I don't care what team he plays for, I never get joy out of seeing a motionless body on the ice.

LGWsig_zpsa75c5d1e.jpg

#45 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,603 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 02:51 PM

Is Detroit calling anyone up from GR? 

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#46 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,220 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 03:19 PM

Is Detroit calling anyone up from GR? 

I'm assuming Smith will be back in.

#47 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,014 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 03:19 PM

Cause for cautious optimism

Don't Toews me, bro!

#48 WingsAlways

WingsAlways

Grind Line 2.0

• PipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 03:42 PM

I think most of us are waiting for Sammy to tweak his breast or nipple. Either one will do. 

I'd settle for an inflamed ear hair. That'd put him out for the season.

Agreed. I like a good, hard, bone crushing, CLEAN hit as much as the next person, but I will never understand celebrating or poking fun at injury. There are human beings with families in those jerseys, and an injury doesn't just affect the player. 

I don't care what team he plays for, I never get joy out of seeing a motionless body on the ice. 

^ This. I remember watching one of the few games we had televised vs. St. Louis where Chris Pronger got hit with a slap shot and went down, they were worried about his heart. I'm far from a Pronger fan, but it took the momentum out of the game for me. One can imagine what it does for the players.

Edited by WingsAlways, 18 October 2013 - 03:46 PM.

"Wow Chicago, you've won four Stanley Cups? Me too! - Kris Draper"

#49 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 03:57 PM

I'd settle for an inflamed ear hair. That'd put him out for the season.

Hair can't become inflamed. An ingrown toenail would do.

#50 pucktividi

pucktividi

the usual suspect

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 04:01 PM

He's listed as DTD...very encourageing

#51 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 08:28 PM

I know this isn't going to be a popular thing to say, but it wasn't a dirty hit. if you watch the replay, what part of Mccloud's body hits kronwall's head? It was his thigh. kronwall's head went sideways into the boards. That is why his ear is cut up. Now it is physically impossible for those 2 things to be true in a hit from behind.

I understand the climate of sports today, and no one wants to see anyone get hurt. But players need to be more aware of where they are in todays game. Darren Elliott during the intermission break all but refused to call it a dirty hit, in fact he was far more focused on the other hit right behind the play on Glendenning.

Mickey Redmond talks about this all the time. Players put themselves in dangerous positions far to much and are not allowed to protect themselves anymore. a bi-product of far to many rules in todays game.

Now will McCloud get suspended? yes he will. it would have been a boarding call if Kronwall hadn't turned, so a dangerous play anyway.

#52 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,098 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 09:07 PM

I know this isn't going to be a popular thing to say, but it wasn't a dirty hit. if you watch the replay, what part of Mccloud's body hits kronwall's head? It was his thigh. kronwall's head went sideways into the boards. That is why his ear is cut up. Now it is physically impossible for those 2 things to be true in a hit from behind.
I understand the climate of sports today, and no one wants to see anyone get hurt. But players need to be more aware of where they are in todays game. Darren Elliott during the intermission break all but refused to call it a dirty hit, in fact he was far more focused on the other hit right behind the play on Glendenning.
Mickey Redmond talks about this all the time. Players put themselves in dangerous positions far to much and are not allowed to protect themselves anymore. a bi-product of far to many rules in todays game.
Now will McCloud get suspended? yes he will. it would have been a boarding call if Kronwall hadn't turned, so a dangerous play anyway.

I didn't read your whole post, didn't need to. Regardless if Kronner turned or not he was still getting hit from behind. Blindsided hits are dirty hits. McLeod saw the numbers the entire time and never let up

#53 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,879 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 09:59 PM

I didn't read your whole post, didn't need to. Regardless if Kronner turned or not he was still getting hit from behind. Blindsided hits are dirty hits. McLeod saw the numbers the entire time and never let up

At least read the last line.

#54 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,603 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 12:21 AM

Great news. 

"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#55 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,513 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 12:51 AM

I will agree with you that Kronner turning/changing direction only made things worse...

Now - with that said - my beef with McLeod is how he was lining Kronner up from the blue line, and didn't slow down one bit.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#56 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,014 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 04:51 AM

It was a dirty hit. It's exactly the sort of hit The Powers That Be want out of the game.

What I really dislike about it is he doesn't let up, follows through with and finishes his check. He had short notice, yes, but he had enough time to stop himself from driving Kronwall('s head) into the boards with force.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#57 BottleOfSmoke

BottleOfSmoke

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,964 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 01:29 PM

@HeleneStJames: Red Wings D Niklas Kronwall says he feels great, hopes to be back within a week, needs clearance from doctors because of concussion.

@AnsarKhanMLive: Kronwall said he's feeling good. Not sure when he'll be cleared. Doesn't believe it was dirty hit by McLeod. Blamed himself for bad position

@HeleneStJames: First thing #RedWings D Niklas Kronwall did after being taken off on stretcher: Text his mom back in Stockholm to tell her he was OK.

@iamtrevort: Kronwall also said Cody McLeod reached out to him after the game and he appreciates that and add, "we're good."

While I don't know him personally, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Nik Kronwall is a Good Man ™.

Edited by BottleOfSmoke, 19 October 2013 - 02:10 PM.

LGWsig_zpsa75c5d1e.jpg

#58 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,014 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 01:42 PM

@HeleneStJames: Red Wings D Niklas Kronwall says he feels great, hopes to be back within a week, needs clearance from doctors because of concussion.

@AnsarKhanMLive: Kronwall said he's feeling good. Not sure when he'll be cleared. Doesn't believe it was dirty hit by McLeod. Blamed himself for bad position

@HeleneStJames: First thing #RedWings D Niklas Kronwall did after being taken off on stretcher: Text his mom back in Stockholm to tell her he was OK.

While I don't know him personally, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Nik Kronwall is a Good Man ™.

Great to hear! Made my day.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#59 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,603 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 03:05 PM

Hate for McLeod went down slightly.

#60 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,014 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 03:10 PM

So he could be back as early as Monday? Awesome.

Don't Toews me, bro!