• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
wings87

stephen weiss

Rate this topic

There are times when I do not agree with your view, but when I do - I make sure to give you a :thumbup:

dos-equis-guy.jpg

We might disagree, which is fine, but I've never believed that you were arguing just for the sake of being argumentative, which is to say that I think your positions are respectable. This affirms it. Let's go Red Wings!

Is this a joke? When he didn't play with Zetterberg he was a ghost out there.

Yeah, Flip disappeared a lot. Weiss is a heart and soul guy, according to Florida fans. He will come around.

Please. Even when Fil wasn't producing offense he was still working hard almost every single shift.

And I like how while what I've said all along is being proven, people are still denying it. We're having the same 2nd line problems with our new 2nd line center that was supposed to solve those problems. Why? Because the reason our 2nd line sucks is because of the baggage we have in the top 6. Franzen, Bertuzzi, Cleary, etc. Did Weiss and Alfredsson add to the baggage? Time will tell. All I know is until we get a legit second line winger, Weiss will never produce more than Filppula did while he was here.

I think you forget how often Fil gave up...

???? Are you saying Filppula didn't back check or was lazy defensively? If so do you actually watch hockey or do you just look at the stats and pretend you know what happens during the game.

Filppula was so defensibly responsible Babcock did not hesitate to use him against any line in the league, including in playoffs. The only two players that Babcock seemed to specifically favor using Zetterberg over Fil or any other Wing for that matter was to cover Toews and Crosby in the playoffs only. Filppula was probably tied for second with Pavel Datsyuk on the Wings roster for best defensive player with Zetterberg being the clear cut number one defensive forward.

Edited by wingslionstigers

Is this a joke? When he didn't play with Zetterberg he was a ghost out there.

Lol this just proves my assumption. Because he didn't get a point per game like Dats and Z he was useless huh? Filppula made our team harder to play against night in and night out. Like I said before, you don't fully understand the game of hockey when you watch it so you make your judgements based upon the stats you see.

Lol this just proves my assumption. Because he didn't get a point per game like Dats and Z he was useless huh? Filppula made our team harder to play against night in and night out. Like I said before, you don't fully understand the game of hockey when you watch it so you make your judgements based upon the stats you see.

Look, I'm not saying he wasn't good defensively, but to say he didn't float around most of last season, and two seasons before that is absurd. Sure he may have been ok defensively even if he wasn't scoring but he turned the puck over trying to be too fancy all the time, making blind passes, passing instead of taking the shot, sitting at the perimeter instead of going to the net. Whether or not Weiss pans out, I'm glad flip is gone he isn't worth what he was asking. For 3.5mil I would be glad to have him back, but the simple fact is he could not center his own line, period.

Guest Playmaker

Yeah, Flip disappeared a lot. Weiss is a heart and soul guy, according to Florida fans. He will come around.

Whew, well at least he has heart and soul. He's probably a warrior, too! Who needs goals, when you got heart.

Please. Even when Fil wasn't producing offense he was still working hard almost every single shift.

And I like how while what I've said all along is being proven, people are still denying it. We're having the same 2nd line problems with our new 2nd line center that was supposed to solve those problems. Why? Because the reason our 2nd line sucks is because of the baggage we have in the top 6. Franzen, Bertuzzi, Cleary, etc. Did Weiss and Alfredsson add to the baggage? Time will tell. All I know is until we get a legit second line winger, Weiss will never produce more than Filppula did while he was here.

:no:

We get it, you have a hard on for Flip, I'm glad you have already written off Weiss after 10 games on a new team. Also, Flip was playing with Z and D the last three years and his stats were still pathetic (aside from the fluke year). How about we give Weiss an opportunity with Zetterberg or Datsyuk before saying he will never produce the 40 points Flip used to.

Guest Playmaker

The point of signing Weiss was because he was supposed to be capable of centering a second line and making his wingers productive, which Filppula couldn't do.

I'm honestly not to bothered at the moment re: his production, think the season is young and would rather question the production of some guys who know the systems ie guys who have no excuse. His contract isn't too bad, worst case scenario we can trade him away, granted not this year and we may have to retain some salary.

I said this when Flip left and I'll say it again, we had to change something in roster. It didn't have to be Flip but he was UFA so it made sense, our lines needed a refresh, Weiss is a skilled player who is used to being a big(ish) fish in a small pond at Florida and probably finding it difficult to adjust to a team in a big market.

I still have confidence that he will come good. In the meantime if Mule, Bert, Cleary, Sammy etc can step up our offence will be better in the long run for it.

I'm glad flip is gone he isn't worth what he was asking. For 3.5mil I would be glad to have him back, but the simple fact is he could not center his own line, period.

Tell that to Steve Yzerman and the lighting, where he has 8 points in 9 games centering his own line. Filppula isn't the problem. His wingers are. This is being proven with Weiss.

We get it, you have a hard on for Flip, I'm glad you have already written off Weiss after 10 games on a new team. Also, Flip was playing with Z and D the last three years and his stats were still pathetic (aside from the fluke year). How about we give Weiss an opportunity with Zetterberg or Datsyuk before saying he will never produce the 40 points Flip used to.

I'm not writing off Weiss. I'm saying that we could bring in any second line center we want and our second line will suck because we have s***ty wingers our top six. I don't have to convince you. It's being proven on the ice as it will be proven through the rest of the season. And to say that a second line center who you think is better than Filppula only having 2 points in 11 games is just him "warming up to a new team", that's ridiculous. Filppula probably never went a stretch of having 2 points in 11 games outside of last season and maybe his first couple years. If Flip's 40 points is pathetic, what does that make Weiss, who you're trying to hard to make excuses for? I could see somewhat lower production because of a new team, but 2 points in 11 games? That is pathetic.

And I'm all in favor of having Weiss play with Zetterberg or Datsyuk.

Tell that to Steve Yzerman and the lighting, where he has 8 points in 9 games centering his own line. Filppula isn't the problem. His wingers are. This is being proven with Weiss.

I'm not writing off Weiss. I'm saying that we could bring in any second line center we want and our second line will suck because we have s***ty wingers our top six. I don't have to convince you. It's being proven on the ice as it will be proven through the rest of the season. And to say that a second line center who you think is better than Filppula only having 2 points in 11 games is just him "warming up to a new team", that's ridiculous. Filppula probably never went a stretch of having 2 points in 11 games outside of last season and maybe his first couple years. If Flip's 40 points is pathetic, what does that make Weiss, who you're trying to hard to make excuses for? I could see somewhat lower production because of a new team, but 2 points in 11 games? That is pathetic.

And I'm all in favor of having Weiss play with Zetterberg or Datsyuk.

Where did I say Weiss is better than anyone ? I'm just saying from your previous posts you have a bias with Flip, which is why I don't take your argument very seriously. How about you wait 41 games before saying Weiss can't be a 2nd line center because of the wingers ? If you have ever played higher level hockey you would understand going to a different team and learning the style of play is not always easy, you end up bringing bad habits from your previous team. Your comparing Flip who was here 7 years to Weiss who was here 11 games.

Edit: For the Tampa Bay Lightning addition you added. Have you seen the style they play, do you know why they don't make the playoffs ? They just try to outscore the opposition, Flip doesn't have Babcock breathing down his neck anymore to be defensive responsible.

Edited by darkmanx

Why didn't Filppula need an adjustment period going to Tampa?

Sample sizes are small at this point. Filppula isn't going to end up with the 75 points he is on pace for...nor is Weiss going to end up with the 14 points he is on pace for...things will normalize over the course of a long season.

Sample sizes are small at this point. Filppula isn't going to end up with the 75 points he is on pace for...nor is Weiss going to end up with the 14 points he is on pace for...things will normalize over the course of a long season.

So your logic is that Weiss is new to his team so his production will improve while Filppula, since he is new to his team, is producing at higher than normal levels?

If you have ever played higher level hockey you would understand going to a different team and learning the style of play is not always easy, you end up bringing bad habits from your previous team. Your comparing Flip who was here 7 years to Weiss who was here 11 games.

Why didn't Filppula need an adjustment period going to Tampa?

These first 11 games are just as important as any other 11 games. Telling us to wait and see what Weiss does is incredibly bad for the team. We in all seriousness could be out of the playoffs solely because of the first 11 games. Is it going to happen this year? Unlikely, but it could, and a lot of the blame would lie on Weiss. He needs to step up. I don't care how long he's been here. He needs to step up.

Ill make my final judgement on him after christmas. As of now obviously not impressed, but not nearly as ready to write him off as i am with Cleary, Franzen, Sammy. Ill give Weiss the benefit of the doubt here based on the transition.

But there is something to be said about how once guys leave (Hudler, Filpula) after playing on the team for a while theyre instantly producing more elsewhere. And guys who come in take time to get going. Does that mean the wings are better because our guys play such a high level, thus they shine elsewhere, or worse because they cant produce with what weve got? It could be either, neither or both.

These first 11 games are just as important as any other 11 games. Telling us to wait and see what Weiss does is incredibly bad for the team. We in all seriousness could be out of the playoffs solely because of the first 11 games. Is it going to happen this year? Unlikely, but it could, and a lot of the blame would lie on Weiss. He needs to step up. I don't care how long he's been here. He needs to step up.

Overreact much? lol Sorry neither Weiss or any one player is responsible for our start/lacklustre offence.

But there is something to be said about how once guys leave (Hudler, Filpula) after playing on the team for a while theyre instantly producing more elsewhere. And guys who come in take time to get going. Does that mean the wings are better because our guys play such a high level, thus they shine elsewhere, or worse because they cant produce with what weve got? It could be either, neither or both.

I think it's a combination of adjusting to new systems/coaches/playing styles as well mental adversity and the pressure to perform. Sometimes people just need a fresh start.