• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
wings87

stephen weiss

Rate this topic

So your logic is that Weiss is new to his team so his production will improve while Filppula, since he is new to his team, is producing at higher than normal levels?

No my point was that lots of crazy things can happen with small samples that may have nothing to do with whether he is on a new team or not. Players have hot and cold streaks, might be battling undisclosed injuries, might be unlucky, might be lucky, might be off his game....once the season is over, the point discrepancy won't be as wide as it projects to be today.

Oh Tampa Bay plays the same system as the Wings? Hm that's really weird..... One of us must be retarded because we are seeing two completely different things.

Really no need to use that word. It's really disrepectful to a lot of mentally handicapped people. If you're frustrated that someone doesn't agree with you, counter it with facts. I agree with Euro_Twins, but I can understand your viewpoint. You can respectfully disagree with someone.

Guest Playmaker

Because they didn't ask him to learn a completely different system.

What system is that? Please explain the different "systems" that each team plays and what exactly is it that Weiss has to adjust to. Did Alfredsson not have to adjust to a new system or does Ottawa play the same system or ?? I'm not following.

Because they didn't ask him to learn a completely different system.

I'll agree with you on the fact that he needs time to adjust, but he looks soft on the puck which has nothing to do with learning a system. I say move him to the wing with Z and see what he does in a couple games if no improvement you have to sit him. I'm not saying putting him on bench solves the problem but maybe it lights a fire under his ass and makes him fight for a spot instead of letting the pressure of signing a big contract swallow him. Or at least for my sanities I hope so.

So your logic is that Weiss is new to his team so his production will improve while Filppula, since he is new to his team, is producing at higher than normal levels?

Filppula is an intelligent player, he's worked with Babcock and knows the Wing's system. The same can be said for Brunner (despite his short tenure with Detroit) & Hudler, Weiss however has been playing for the Panthers... Need I say more?

What system is that? Please explain the different "systems" that each team plays and what exactly is it that Weiss has to adjust to. Did Alfredsson not have to adjust to a new system or does Ottawa play the same system or ?? I'm not following.

Detroit is a puck possession team, and since the days of Bowman's "left wing lock" have never really been a dump & chase team.

Edited by WingsAlways

Whew, well at least he has heart and soul. He's probably a warrior, too! Who needs goals, when you got heart.

Your sarcasm aside, if it's true he's a heart and soul guy, that means he's not the type to just give up. Ego, he will come around.

Never said anything about his lack of goal scoring.

Guest Playmaker

Filppula is an intelligent player, he's worked with Babcock and knows the Wing's system. The same can be said for Brunner (despite his short tenure with Detroit) & Hudler, Weiss however has been playing for the Panthers... Need I say more?

Detroit is a puck possession team, and since the days of Bowman's "left wing lock" have never really been a dump & chase team.

Detroit plays puck possession? LOL

Your sarcasm aside, if it's true he's a heart and soul guy, that means he's not the type to just give up. Ego, he will come around.

Never said anything about his lack of goal scoring.

Anyone who has made it to the professional level probably isn't apt to "give up" over a few bad games.

I think if you're arguing that Filppula doesn't need time to adjust and Weiss does it simply boils down to Filppula being the better player.

weiss is centering his own line. sure his expectations are high since he was centering the first line in florida, but wings play a lot differently

fil couldnt center his own line, fil points mostly came with the help of dats, Z, or mule

id like to see what weiss could do with Z or dats

Edited by brett

Guest Playmaker

We can't play every friggin forward with Datsyuk and Zetterberg. Weiss was signed to be the second line center. We don't need another unproductive winger paired with either of those guys.

IF FILPPULA WAS ON THIS TEAM HE WOULD HAVE 20 GOALS BY NOW

HE WAS ALWAYS A BIG PRODUCER FOR US AND WHY WE LET HIM GO IS BEYOND ME

JUST LOOK AT HOW HE'S DOING IN TB - 30 GOALS ALREADY

WHEN HAS WEISS EVER PUT UP THE KIND OF NUMBERS FLIP HAS?

I REST MY CASE

Guest Playmaker

IF FILPPULA WAS ON THIS TEAM HE WOULD HAVE 20 GOALS BY NOW

HE WAS ALWAYS A BIG PRODUCER FOR US AND WHY WE LET HIM GO IS BEYOND ME

JUST LOOK AT HOW HE'S DOING IN TB - 30 GOALS ALREADY

WHEN HAS WEISS EVER PUT UP THE KIND OF NUMBERS FLIP HAS?

I REST MY CASE

It's a nice attempt to create a distraction from the discussion at hand, but the bottom line is, Weiss was given a big contract to center a second line, to help produce more offense, to allow 13 and 40 to play together, and so far, he has performed well below expectations.

Let me clarify, filppula being able to play a two way game was what Tampa wanted, they didn't want him to change his style. Detroit expects Weiss to back check and it just run and gun, I'm sorry if you think I'm "retarded" by seeing the obvious difference here. Who knows if Weiss will pan out but calling someone retarded for mentioning a simple fact is beyond ridiculous and is completely unnecessary

The part wonder about is why do we have to play Z and Dat on the same line. For several years we have been looking for a second line C. To date, no luck. We have to great C's. Let them play. if Weiss is able to turn things around we could have 3. Going 3 or 4 deep with Dat, Z, Weiss, and Helm would be an awesome C lineup. How about some wingers to go with them?

I think if you're arguing that Filppula doesn't need time to adjust and Weiss does it simply boils down to Filppula being the better player.

Arguing adjustment to either team is dumb. We have no idea why one is producing right now and the other is not. There are a million different reasons why Fil is doing great and there are a million different reasons why Weiss has had no luck. But we don't kno those reasons. Weiss could get hot and Fil could go cold tmrw and we wouldn't know why. What we do know is both are very talented players and we can probably expect both to finish the season with similar numbers. I personally like Weiss better, Fil wasn't having success here and we needed to try something new. Weiss has experience as a top line center and captain, I'm sure he'll pull around if LGW can retain some level of patience

Surprised no one is calling dropping Hudler dumb considering his production right now (unless I missed it)

We all kno both Huds and Fil will slow down, and guys like Weiss will probably speed up, everyone needs to chill

Tell that to Tampa who has Filppula with 9 points in 10 games centering his own line.

Dude for the last time you can't base a player on 10 games. Mike Smith has more goals than Claude Giroux right now. Is Smith a better goal scorer than Giroux? Heck no. All of you are jumping the gun by a lot right now.

Guest Playmaker

Let me clarify, filppula being able to play a two way game was what Tampa wanted, they didn't want him to change his style. Detroit expects Weiss to back check and it just run and gun, I'm sorry if you think I'm "retarded" by seeing the obvious difference here. Who knows if Weiss will pan out but calling someone retarded for mentioning a simple fact is beyond ridiculous and is completely unnecessary

Florida didn't play a run and gun style and neither did Weiss. Part of his appeal was supposed to be that he was responsible defensively, had "leadership skills", and could provide an offensive spark as a solid second line center that Filppula supposedly couldn't. Weiss has not been expected to change his game at all. Instead of making excuses, why not just say he's struggling, and leave it at that?

Weiss was never expected to back check in Florida? They just said, "hey man, don't worry about that defense stuff we just want you to focus on offense." I just don't understand these imaginary points you try to make. Why are you even trying still? Also, what are you even trying to say? Now that he is in Detroit he is lost temporarily because he is now expected to play two way hockey? Even if that was true, which it is not...... You would be simply telling me that Filppula is the better hockey player.

Oh and your right about Filppula, Tampa Bay just changes to Detroit's systems when Filppula is on the ice. Hey Fil, just do what Babcock told you to do in the neutral zone, defensive zone, and offensive zone.. Oh and can you teach your line mates that stuff too? Thanks Fil we just want you to be extra comfortable here in Tampa unlike Weiss being forced to play two way hockey back in Detroit.

Whats Tampa even doing now that they don't run the 1-3-1, haven't watched them play this year.

Dude for the last time you can't base a player on 10 games.

I'm basing it on his entire career. Also, I believe we won the Stanley Cup with Filppula centering the second line and went to game seven of the finals with Fil centering the second line.

When Fil had his 66 point season it wasn't because he wasn't playing center, it was because he was playing with linemates who aren't lazy and who can make plays. Correlation =/= Causation.

Edited by Z and D for the C