• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
wings87

stephen weiss

Rate this topic

I really don't understand the Weiss versus Filps debate, Filps is gone and I am happy that he is doing well but both of these guys aren't the answer to the DetroitRedWings problems. You built from the net out (which is set with a great Howard/Gustavsson duo), the defense (work in progress to put it friendly..) and then the forwards (2 stars other than that meh meh meh).

Needs are a pure goalscorer and a powerplay quarterback but lets be honest Kenny will not get these guys if he isn't willing to take some gambles. I think Chris Letang and Nicklas - sadly not the perfect human - kronwall would be a very good first pairing, Malkins contract is up after this season so the Pens are looking at a 9 m caphit soon and Letang comes at a fair 7,25 m caphit also Phaneuf will be available this year.

The question to me still remains, what are the strong skills in Weiss game? if he is a "pure" playmaker you need to provide him with a goalscorer simple as that.

Edited by frankgrimes

Guest Playmaker

Since game 1. I have given up on arguing with them. Filpulla was god NO ONE wanted him gone... Whatever.

I'm not sure which thread you're reading. Weiss has struggled, that's a fact. Instead just saying as much, all the excuses come....the "new system", playing a different role, blah blah blah. I'm somewhat indifferent about Filppula, but the race to find the best excuse for Weiss' struggles are laughable.

Best game of the year for Weiss vs Canucks. Still has to get better in certain spots but looked great tonight.

You can tell that he's slowly starting to get more comfortable and get his confidence out there. When he starts hanging onto the puck instead of being so quick to pass it on, the points will start racking up.

I think you are smoking crack. Nothing personal per say.

He knew for a fact Alfie had that one.

*sets down crack pipe*

Baha noo i didnt mean that weiss thought he got the goal instead. Just more of a "damn, another point for oldman alfie, the other guy proving himself on the new club"

Edited by RedWang

Weiss played well last night I wanna see a

Tatar-Weiss-alfie second line. Tatar was one of the best players on the ice last night

Agreed. But it's also a bad feeling when a goal is scored and you start looking around hoping that Weiss had something to do with it.

My initial impression of Stephen Weiss was that he wasn't good enough to be a 2nd line center in the NHL, but I heard enough people say good things about him (and the numbers looked good enough) that I was talked into it, and totally on board with the signing. It's too soon to form any meaningful conclusion. At this point last year, Ryan Suter was a mess in Minnesota, and then he damn near won the Norris by the end of the year.

Agreed. But it's also a bad feeling when a goal is scored and you start looking around hoping that Weiss had something to do with it.

My initial impression of Stephen Weiss was that he wasn't good enough to be a 2nd line center in the NHL, but I heard enough people say good things about him (and the numbers looked good enough) that I was talked into it, and totally on board with the signing. It's too soon to form any meaningful conclusion. At this point last year, Ryan Suter was a mess in Minnesota, and then he damn near won the Norris by the end of the year.

Ya I didn't watch Weiss a tun in Florida, but I did see enough of him to have an opinion. I feel like he possessed and held onto the puck way more in Florida then he does here. It's almost as if he is afraid to show off his skills and carry the puck, as if he doesn't wanna make a mistake. I wanna see Weiss act like the number one guy like he did in Florida, even though he's not the number one guy.

Ya I didn't watch Weiss a tun in Florida, but I did see enough of him to have an opinion. I feel like he possessed and held onto the puck way more in Florida then he does here. It's almost as if he is afraid to show off his skills and carry the puck, as if he doesn't wanna make a mistake. I wanna see Weiss act like the number one guy like he did in Florida, even though he's not the number one guy.

I agree with this. Dude gets ride of the puck the second he gets it. I want him carrying the puck, making plays, and creating offense. Not dishing to Cleary...for whatever reason.

I agree with this. Dude gets ride of the puck the second he gets it. I want him carrying the puck, making plays, and creating offense. Not dishing to Cleary...for whatever reason.

Ya it's like he doesn't wanna try anything creative. I also think being flanked by alfy and one of the kids (Tatar/nyquist) would benefit him greatly as they have skill and creativity to help him out.

Guest Crymson

Encouraging words from Weiss:

Asked what was unnatural for him in Detroit, Weiss said: “Pretty much everything. Honestly all three zones are the complete opposite of what I’ve been used to my whole career. So that’s been a big change.”

Weiss said he had been thinking too much and trying too hard at times, and it had backfired.

“As soon as you start thinking too much, you slow down and you’re dead,” Weiss said. “So I’m trying to eliminate the thinking process and just go out and play. That’s where you’re going to be better off.

“It’s going to take time. You’ve just got to be patient and stick with it and keep trying to do what you’ve done over your career that’s made you successful, and eventually you’re going to get a bounce, and something good’s going to happen, and it’s going to turn around.”

It's also worth nothing that the season opener was his first game in seven months. Full recovery takes time.

It's also worth nothing that the season opener was his first game in seven months. Full recovery takes time.

Wow. You literally just said that Filppula should have had no trouble because of his injury because he had "two months" to recover, even though that "recovery time" was actually being injured time. Now you say that for Weiss, 7 months isn't enough for a full recovery? Un-*******-believable. I can stand people disagreeing with me, but when your logic is COMPLETELY reversed to support something else, you become a tool.

Filppula also had a wrist injury in the middle of the season, came back, and then had 26 points in 31 games. But I'm sure you think that was a horrible season for him.

Seriously cannotf****** believe what I just read. And I'm biased. At least I base my opinion off facts and logic that doesn't change every week or to fit whatever bulls*** narrative I want to push.

Edited by Z and D for the C

Wow. You literally just said that Filppula should have had no trouble because of his injury because he had "two months" to recover, even though that "recovery time" was actually being injured time. Now you say that for Weiss, 7 months isn't enough for a full recovery? Un-*******-believable. I can stand people disagreeing with me, but when your logic is COMPLETELY reversed to support something else, you become a tool.

Filppula also had a wrist injury in the middle of the season, came back, and then had 26 points in 31 games. But I'm sure you think that was a horrible season for him.

Seriously cannotf****** believe what I just read. And I'm biased. At least I base my opinion off facts and logic that doesn't change every week or to fit whatever bulls*** narrative I want to push.

Do you just idle and wait for the opportunity to strike and talk about your bf Flip ? Once again, we get it. He's the greatest player since Aki Berg.

Fil was a product of the Detroit system, so he learned the right way and from the best teachers in the business which is why he can plug and play anywhere.

See: jiri hudler.

But weiss had surgery, a bit more serious than fils.

So.

Take it how you will.

But weiss had surgery, a bit more serious than fils.

So saying that 2 months is a ton of time to recover from a leg injury (which is way worse in terms of fitness level than a wrist injury, especially for a player with skating as one of his biggest strengths) for one player but 7 months isn't enough for another player with a wrist injury isn't completely biased and delusional? Okay.

Sorry, keep on going everyone. Filppula sucks with his 9 points in 12 games and Weiss is way better with his 2 points in 13.

So I noticed that despite Weiss' terrible play so far, I still find myself liking him much more than Franzen. Weiss turnover= "no big deal, buddy, we're still pulling for ya! You'll get the next one!"

Franzen turnover = "Cant you do anything right?!"

Wait. You can actually distinguish between Weiss an Franzen?

But in all seriousness when Franzen has the puck he is a good player the problem is when he doesn't have it.

So saying that 2 months is a ton of time to recover from a leg injury (which is way worse in terms of fitness level than a wrist injury, especially for a player with skating as one of his biggest strengths) for one player but 7 months isn't enough for another player with a wrist injury isn't completely biased and delusional? Okay.

Sorry, keep on going everyone. Filppula sucks with his 9 points in 12 games and Weiss is way better with his 2 points in 13.

I have a solution for you.

Start a petition online to bring fil back.

And pay him $6+ million for him to be solid defensively.

Who cares if he disappears offensively, because Weiss, in his 12 games was such a waste of money and had no business becoming a 2nd line center after being a productive first liner.

You're seeming to be a fairweather fan.

I'm done arguing this.

I'm sorry I'm optimistic, but please, if you're giving up on Weiss already, feel free to become a lightning fan.

Because weve got weiss for four more years after this.

And also.

Feel free to single out a line you didn't like from what ive said, even though I said good things to your point.

Because your pessimism is actually making your point.

Or.

You can make a constructive comment without tryingto attack me on A RED WINGS FAN BOARD, after all were rooting for different teams..

Either way.