• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
wings87

stephen weiss

Rate this topic

Guest Crymson

Fil actually scored the goal to put the Wings up 2-1. Z scored to put them up 3-1 before they scored that late one. Fil's goal was for all intense and purpose, the winner.

You're right, his was the second goal. As for the rest... err, no. For all intents and purposes, and in actual fact, Zetterberg's goal was the game-winner. Had he not scored, the Penguins' next goal would have tied the game.

Fil was highly under appreciated on here. One of the better playoff performers for us as well. But thats not surprising, this is the same fan base and website that was rdy to give up on Kronwall, Ericsson, Howard at times, now it's Smith....

Howard proved himself in his rookie season. Kronwall and Ericsson broke out in their third. Filppula had six seasons and failed, aside from one season, to improve or to meet expectations, and his one notable season was followed by the worst (excepting his rookie campaign) of his career. By any stretch of the term, he was given plenty of time.

You're right, his was the second goal. As for the rest... err, no. For all intents and purposes, and in actual fact, Zetterberg's goal was the game-winner. Had he not scored, the Penguins' next goal would have tied the game.

Howard proved himself in his rookie season. Kronwall and Ericsson broke out in their third. Filppula had six seasons and failed, aside from one season, to improve or to meet expectations, and his one notable season was followed by the worst (excepting his rookie campaign) of his career. By any stretch of the term, he was given plenty of time.

I don't think he failed, he just didn't turn into the type of player we wanted him to be. That said he still turned into a decent player, just not Datsyuk.

Again, Flip had all the time in the world. He was given every opportunity to succeed, prove himself, make good on the shining promise of his overwhelming, Gretzky-level potential. But he disappointed. And disappointed. And disappointed. And he also disappointed. And, did I mention he disappointed? And then he wanted a big raise.

The Wings and Filppula are just not a smashing fit. It seems he's found a better fit and home in Florida, which is good for him and for the Bolts. My guess is it's largely because of the kind of game the Bolts play, and, in that context, the kind of player Flip is expected to be. Put simply: it looks like he's been liberated a bit. He doesn't have to be as obsessively devoted to his defensive responsibilities. (Were the Wings to somehow acquire Stamkos, Babs would drill it into his head that he needs to dial back the offensive drive in favor of a more defensively responsible two-way game. On the - ahem - flip side, Datsyuk would be a 50-goal scorer on some other teams.)

As for Weiss - he's actually been pretty solid on this road trip. But he needs to start producing, now.

Again, Flip had all the time in the world. He was given every opportunity to succeed, prove himself, make good on the shining promise of his overwhelming, Gretzky-level potential. But he disappointed. And disappointed. And disappointed. And he also disappointed. And, did I mention he disappointed? And then he wanted a big raise.

The Wings and Filppula are just not a smashing fit. It seems he's found a better fit and home in Florida, which is good for him and for the Bolts. My guess is it's largely because of the kind of game the Bolts play, and, in that context, the kind of player Flip is expected to be. Put simply: it looks like he's been liberated a bit. He doesn't have to be as obsessively devoted to his defensive responsibilities. (Were the Wings to somehow acquire Stamkos, Babs would drill it into his head that he needs to dial back the offensive drive in favor of a more defensively responsible two-way game. On the - ahem - flip side, Datsyuk would be a 50-goal scorer on some other teams.)

As for Weiss - he's actually been pretty solid on this road trip. But he needs to start producing, now.

Gretzky level potential? I don't know what you're talking about.

Guest Playmaker

This thread has turned comical. I'm starting to wonder if some of the posters are jilted teenagers who are jealous that Filppula has a girlfriend.

Gretzky like potential? Systematically analyzing every assist? Arguing the semantics of a gwg or recovering from injury. Really?

Flip had a lot of talent, but seemed to lack the confidence and aggressiveness necessary to take it to the next level, but to act like he was a complete and utter failure in his tenure as a Wing is beyond ridiculous.

Since Weiss' assist was "only" a secondary one by winning the faceoff and then passed D to D, the official scorer should be notified that it wasn't an actual assist.

Gretzky level potential? I don't know what you're talking about.

This thread has turned comical. I'm starting to wonder if some of the posters are jilted teenagers who are jealous that Filppula has a girlfriend.

Gretzky like potential? Systematically analyzing every assist? Arguing the semantics of a gwg or recovering from injury. Really?

Flip had a lot of talent, but seemed to lack the confidence and aggressiveness necessary to take it to the next level, but to act like he was a complete and utter failure in his tenure as a Wing is beyond ridiculous.

Since Weiss' assist was "only" a secondary one by winning the faceoff and then passed D to D, the official scorer should be notified that it wasn't an actual assist.

hy·per·bo·le [hahy-pur-buh-lee]
noun Rhetoric .
obvious and intentional exaggeration.

an extravagant statement or figure of speech not intended to betaken literally, as “to wait an eternity.”
Edited by Dave

"Flip sucks because he never takes the puck to the net!!!!!"

*Flip scores a goal taking sending the puck to the net*

"Pft that goal should have never gone in. Flip sucks"

I'm not sure if those quotes are supposed to be things I've said, but to be clear, I liked Flip. He played heavy on the puck (as Babcock likes to put it) and clearly had offensive talent. For whatever reason though, he just never fully took that next step with Detroit and honestly a new start in Tampa is probably best for him.

But my comment about the backhander wasn't a criticism of Flip, though I could see how it would look that way in this thread.

I was reading this thread and watching the NHL network when I saw the highlight of him tossing the puck towards the net on his backhand and it trickling in. It was just funny because of the timing of it all, as if it was being rubbed in somehow. "The puck goes in every time in tampa!" It was two times in a row I turned on the NHL network to see a Filppula highlight.

I'm not sure if those quotes are supposed to be things I've said, but to be clear, I liked Flip. He played heavy on the puck (as Babcock likes to put it) and clearly had offensive talent. For whatever reason though, he just never fully took that next step with Detroit and honestly a new start in Tampa is probably best for him.

for a second I read: "He played heavy on the puck and Cleary had offensive talent" :P

I agree that filp needed a new start though and tampa seems to be working out for him so far so good for him, I'm glad.

Guest Crymson

for a second I read: "He played heavy on the puck and Cleary had offensive talent" :P

I agree that filp needed a new start though and tampa seems to be working out for him so far so good for him, I'm glad.

Cleary HAD offensive talent.

:lol: Yeah, I should be more careful. It's dangerous to use the word "clearly" these days with the witch hunt there is for Cleary.

As for Flip, it's one of the reasons it's not "What could have been if he stayed" to me because I even if he has a great offensive year in Tampa, I don't think it would've happened here.

i remember getting blasted here for not liking the weiss signing saying he was overrated ... now that hes got only 2 goals are most people here happy??? yes i know hes missed a year of hockey but his skating seems fine and hes suppose to be a playmaker yet he has 0 assists , i hope the guy turns it around for the wings sake

i never saw the point of signing him among others when jurco,sheahan,ferraro and others are close to making the team .... i also didnt like alfredsson signing because of his 5.5 cap year but since its only 1 year i can live with it

i remember getting blasted here for not liking the weiss signing saying he was overrated ... now that hes got only 2 goals are most people here happy??? yes i know hes missed a year of hockey but his skating seems fine and hes suppose to be a playmaker yet he has 0 assists , i hope the guy turns it around for the wings sake

i never saw the point of signing him among others when jurco,sheahan,ferraro and others are close to making the team .... i also didnt like alfredsson signing because of his 5.5 cap year but since its only 1 year i can live with it

Great another "I told you Weiss was going to suck" post. Seems all you guys are coming out of the woodwork. Surprised you didn't quote yourself like the rest...

I'll be concerned if he's still not successful late in the season. We have him committed for over 400 games. Let's not burn him at the stake after 16.

Jurco, Sheahan, Ferraro are not close to being a second line center.

Alfredsson? Yeah who wants a proven top line right handed shooting forward completely for free with no risk on a discount. How silly of us.

He had an assist last night on DeKeyser's goal.

He's getting better in every aspect of the game.Untortunately,he sets up scoring chances mostly to Cleary :eh:

I think this post is more about a players make-up and their responsively rather than "Who is a better hockey player" you see this time and again with athletes. A good fit with the team, the coach, management Ect all play a factor in how a player responds. It's not unusual for a player to be amazing on one team and then underperform for another. Weiss, Flip...but others like Heatly, Yashin, Gonchar, Nash, Lupul..........the list is endless.

I think Weiss will come around. He's too good of a hockey player not to BUT some players simply play better and respond better depending on the environment. Looks at Hudler...it was pretty clear that Babcock was not fond of him. He was critized for his poor defensive play but in Calgary, he has been given the first line and he is thriving. I don't think he did well being scrutinized, whether it was valid or not...the same goes with Flip. Some players need to be challenged, attacked and then excel under a hard nose approach. Others need to be coddled and reassured. Babcock isn't that guy and although he is a good coach, I imagine he is very demanding and vocal about whatbhe likes and what he doesn't.

Either way, we had a good player in Flip who needed a change of scenery and he's doing well. I always liked him here and I wish him well. I hope same for Weiss and that he will find his rhythm and become what the organization saw in him.

Just my 2 cents!

Great another "I told you Weiss was going to suck" post. Seems all you guys are coming out of the woodwork. Surprised you didn't quote yourself like the rest...

I'll be concerned if he's still not successful late in the season. We have him committed for over 400 games. Let's not burn him at the stake after 16.

Jurco, Sheahan, Ferraro are not close to being a second line center.

Alfredsson? Yeah who wants a proven top line right handed shooting forward completely for free with no risk on a discount. How silly of us.

its almost 20 games in and he hasnt looked so good thus far , don't get all pissed off at the fans who believed it was a bad signing hen it happened

that being said i do hope he turns it around or its gonna be a nightmare 5 years ....nyquist should be in the top 6 now getting alot of minutes ... glad to see tatar is finally getting the ice time he deserves ... sheahan and ferraro will be here next year , will they be top 6 player? no but my point was more directed at resigning guys like miller to 3 yrs when some kids are coming up and should be getting those spots

alfredsson is also 40 ... lets see how he holds up in the playoffs when it counts and like i said it was his 5.5 million cap hit i didnt like and still dont ... doesnt give us any room to make a deal at the deadline if we want , and i could be totally wrong but i dont recall selanne getting anywhere near 5.5 million (around 3-3.5 i believe? ) when he was 40 and id have much rather have selanne at 40 than alfredsson

He had an assist last night on DeKeyser's goal.

He's getting better in every aspect of the game.Untortunately,he sets up scoring chances mostly to Cleary :eh:

cleary is another waste of a signing .... im already dreading the news of cleary resigning here for another 3 yrs in the future ... that being said weiss is playing in the bottom 2 lines because of his play .... if it were up to me id bring up nyquist and put a nyquist weiss tatar line see what happens

Guest Crymson

cleary is another waste of a signing .... im already dreading the news of cleary resigning here for another 3 yrs in the future ... that being said weiss is playing in the bottom 2 lines because of his play .... if it were up to me id bring up nyquist and put a nyquist weiss tatar line see what happens

I sincerely doubt that Clearly will be on the team next season, let alone for the next three, if his currently horrid level of play continues. He is currently bringing absolutely nothing to the team.

I sincerely doubt that Clearly will be on the team next season, let alone for the next three, if his currently horrid level of play continues. He is currently bringing absolutely nothing to the team.

while i agree with you in that i dont want him on the team and i dont think his level of play is adequate to be on the team, they talked about at the signing that cleary took less money this year because the team had cap issues and expected a long term deal to get worked out after that. and since this team is loyal to a fault, i don't see them going back on that. i wouldnt be surprised to see a multiyear deal signed to keep him here for a couple more years. (it will however make me throw up in my mouth a little bit)

Babs and Holland seem to feel Cleary is a serviceable top-sixer at this point in his career. Point being, in their eyes he's not even at the washed-up-fourth-liner-who-can-just-barely-hack-it-and-should-be-scratched-most-nights stage yet. So I'm expecting him to re-sign for another couple of seasons.

Guest Crymson

Babs and Holland seem to feel Cleary is a serviceable top-sixer at this point in his career. Point being, in their eyes he's not even at the washed-up-fourth-liner-who-can-just-barely-hack-it-and-should-be-scratched-most-nights stage yet. So I'm expecting him to re-sign for another couple of seasons.

Cleary was a semi-passable third-line last season. This year, he is not fit to be playing in the NHL at all. I'm not sure what happened to his knees and back over the summer, but he's simply not capable of playing any role now.

Whatever the case, this is all idle speculation. We'll see what happens.