• Please log in to reply
317 replies to this topic

#241 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,649 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 11:53 AM

I'm not sure if those quotes are supposed to be things I've said, but to be clear, I liked Flip.  He played heavy on the puck (as Babcock likes to put it) and clearly had offensive talent.   For whatever reason though, he just never fully took that next step with Detroit and honestly a new start in Tampa is probably best for him.

for a second I read: "He played heavy on the puck and Cleary had offensive talent" :P

I agree that filp needed a new start though and tampa seems to be working out for him so far so good for him, I'm glad.

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#242 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 01:45 PM

for a second I read: "He played heavy on the puck and Cleary had offensive talent" :P

I agree that filp needed a new start though and tampa seems to be working out for him so far so good for him, I'm glad.

Cleary HAD offensive talent.

#243 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,139 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 01:47 PM

:lol:  Yeah, I should be more careful.  It's dangerous to use the word "clearly" these days with the witch hunt there is for Cleary.

As for Flip, it's one of the reasons it's not "What could have been if he stayed" to me because I even if he has a great offensive year in Tampa, I don't think it would've happened here.

#244 nyqvististhefuture

nyqvististhefuture

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 08:36 PM

i remember getting blasted here for not liking the weiss signing saying he was overrated ... now that hes got only 2 goals are most people here happy??? yes i know hes missed a year of hockey but his skating seems fine and hes suppose to be a playmaker yet he has 0 assists , i hope the guy turns it around for the wings sake

i never saw the point of signing him among others when jurco,sheahan,ferraro and others are close to making the team .... i also didnt like alfredsson signing because of his 5.5 cap year but since its only 1 year i can live with it

#245 joesuffP

joesuffP

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,443 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 09:03 PM

Weisse seems to have another gear and looks dangerous with the puck when he uses it but unfortunately he looks like he is just trying not to make mistakes when he should be looking to score

#246 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,900 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 09:16 PM

i remember getting blasted here for not liking the weiss signing saying he was overrated ... now that hes got only 2 goals are most people here happy??? yes i know hes missed a year of hockey but his skating seems fine and hes suppose to be a playmaker yet he has 0 assists , i hope the guy turns it around for the wings sake

i never saw the point of signing him among others when jurco,sheahan,ferraro and others are close to making the team .... i also didnt like alfredsson signing because of his 5.5 cap year but since its only 1 year i can live with it

Great another "I told you Weiss was going to suck" post.  Seems all you guys are coming out of the woodwork. Surprised you didn't quote yourself like the rest...

I'll be concerned if he's still not successful late in the season.  We have him committed for over 400 games.  Let's not burn him at the stake after 16.

Jurco, Sheahan, Ferraro are not close to being a second line center.

Alfredsson?  Yeah who wants a proven top line right handed shooting forward completely for free with no risk on a discount. How silly of us.

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#247 pucktividi

pucktividi

the usual suspect

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 09:19 PM

He had an assist last night on DeKeyser's goal.

He's getting better in every aspect of the game.Untortunately,he sets up scoring chances mostly to Cleary :eh:

#248 Motown4013

Motown4013

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 09:33 PM

I think this post is more about a players make-up and their responsively rather than "Who is a better hockey player" you see this time and again with athletes. A good fit with the team, the coach, management Ect all play a factor in how a player responds. It's not unusual for a player to be amazing on one team and then underperform for another. Weiss, Flip...but others like Heatly, Yashin, Gonchar, Nash, Lupul..........the list is endless.
I think Weiss will come around. He's too good of a hockey player not to BUT some players simply play better and respond better depending on the environment. Looks at Hudler...it was pretty clear that Babcock was not fond of him. He was critized for his poor defensive play but in Calgary, he has been given the first line and he is thriving. I don't think he did well being scrutinized, whether it was valid or not...the same goes with Flip. Some players need to be challenged, attacked and then excel under a hard nose approach. Others need to be coddled and reassured. Babcock isn't that guy and although he is a good coach, I imagine he is very demanding and vocal about whatbhe likes and what he doesn't.
Either way, we had a good player in Flip who needed a change of scenery and he's doing well. I always liked him here and I wish him well. I hope same for Weiss and that he will find his rhythm and become what the organization saw in him.
Just my 2 cents!
Raising another Red Wings Fan!

The future looks bright in Hockeytown!
GUSTAV SNIPEQUIST!

#249 themcityblues

themcityblues

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 12:01 PM

Flip and Hudler aren't guys that perform well under the shadows.  What I mean is that they are better when they receive the belief that they are top guys.  In Detroit, the message was "Prove it." 

#250 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,113 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 12:12 PM

Gretzky level potential?  I don't know what you're talking about.  

Sarcasm.

I feel like we've been hearing about Valtteri Filppula's ZOMG INCREDIBLE POTENTIAL for twenty years now.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#251 nyqvististhefuture

nyqvististhefuture

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 12:13 AM

Great another "I told you Weiss was going to suck" post.  Seems all you guys are coming out of the woodwork. Surprised you didn't quote yourself like the rest...

I'll be concerned if he's still not successful late in the season.  We have him committed for over 400 games.  Let's not burn him at the stake after 16.

Jurco, Sheahan, Ferraro are not close to being a second line center.

Alfredsson?  Yeah who wants a proven top line right handed shooting forward completely for free with no risk on a discount. How silly of us.

its almost  20 games in and he hasnt looked so good thus far , don't get all pissed off at the fans who believed it was a bad signing hen it happened

that being said i do hope he turns it around or its gonna be a nightmare 5 years ....nyquist should be in the top 6 now getting alot of minutes ... glad to see tatar is finally getting the ice time he deserves ... sheahan and ferraro will be here next year , will they be top 6 player? no but my point was more directed at resigning guys like miller to 3 yrs when some kids are coming up and should be getting those spots

alfredsson is also 40 ... lets see how he holds up in the playoffs when it counts and like i said it was his 5.5 million cap hit i didnt like and still dont ... doesnt give us any room to make a deal at the deadline if we want , and i could be totally wrong but i dont recall selanne getting anywhere near 5.5 million (around 3-3.5 i believe? ) when he was 40 and id have much rather have selanne at 40 than alfredsson

He had an assist last night on DeKeyser's goal.

He's getting better in every aspect of the game.Untortunately,he sets up scoring chances mostly to Cleary :eh:

cleary is another waste of a signing .... im already dreading the news of cleary resigning here for another 3 yrs in the future ... that being said weiss is playing in the bottom 2 lines because of his play .... if it were up to me id bring up nyquist and put a nyquist weiss tatar line see what happens

#252 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 12:52 AM

cleary is another waste of a signing .... im already dreading the news of cleary resigning here for another 3 yrs in the future ... that being said weiss is playing in the bottom 2 lines because of his play .... if it were up to me id bring up nyquist and put a nyquist weiss tatar line see what happens

I sincerely doubt that Clearly will be on the team next season, let alone for the next three, if his currently horrid level of play continues. He is currently bringing absolutely nothing to the team.

#253 martinezsvsu

martinezsvsu

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 01:02 AM

I sincerely doubt that Clearly will be on the team next season, let alone for the next three, if his currently horrid level of play continues. He is currently bringing absolutely nothing to the team.

until he scores a goal in the playoffs and babcock forgets about the other 82 games

#254 dobbles

dobbles

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 10:28 AM

while i agree with you in that i dont want him on the team and i dont think his level of play is adequate to be on the team, they talked about at the signing that cleary took less money this year because the team had cap issues and expected a long term deal to get worked out after that. and since this team is loyal to a fault, i don't see them going back on that. i wouldnt be surprised to see a multiyear deal signed to keep him here for a couple more years. (it will however make me throw up in my mouth a little bit)

I love Maltby, but to say he wasn't a ****** is a dis-service to his career of douchebaggery.

#255 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,113 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 11:52 AM

Babs and Holland seem to feel Cleary is a serviceable top-sixer at this point in his career. Point being, in their eyes he's not even at the washed-up-fourth-liner-who-can-just-barely-hack-it-and-should-be-scratched-most-nights stage yet. So I'm expecting him to re-sign for another couple of seasons.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#256 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 12:22 PM

Babs and Holland seem to feel Cleary is a serviceable top-sixer at this point in his career. Point being, in their eyes he's not even at the washed-up-fourth-liner-who-can-just-barely-hack-it-and-should-be-scratched-most-nights stage yet. So I'm expecting him to re-sign for another couple of seasons.

Cleary was a semi-passable third-line last season. This year, he is not fit to be playing in the NHL at all. I'm not sure what happened to his knees and back over the summer, but he's simply not capable of playing any role now.

Whatever the case, this is all idle speculation. We'll see what happens.

#257 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,139 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 01:02 PM

The Cleary discussion has wandered well off track of anything remotely related to the thread topic. 

This thread is about Stephen Weiss.  If anyone would like to continue their Cleary obsession, start a thread where you can discuss it there.

As for the topic, I think Holland's signings in 2012 were awful, but it's waaaay too early to make any determination about Weiss.  He's on a new team and hardly played last season due to injury.  I'll give him more than 16 games to figure it out.

#258 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,077 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 12:07 PM

Ansar Khan just reported Weiss is injured and won't play tomorrow. No specifics given. Brutal luck, just when Weiss was starting to find a groove.

#NOMOREKINDL

#259 mjtm77

mjtm77

mjtm77

• PipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 12:16 PM

Ansar Khan just reported Weiss is injured and won't play tomorrow. No specifics given. Brutal luck, just when Weiss was starting to find a groove.

Nice, just as he was looking good out there. With our luck I bet he's out a while...
Posted Image

#260 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,073 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 12:29 PM

its almost  20 games in and he hasnt looked so good thus far , don't get all pissed off at the fans who believed it was a bad signing hen it happened

Why did you think he was a bad signing at the time?  I think I can guess based on your user name, but I'd like to hear what your reasons are.