• Please log in to reply
317 replies to this topic

#21 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,980 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 08:36 AM

how much longer do we have to pretend that this guy doesn't suck?

The same duration you keep pretending to like the Red Wings.

#22 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,741 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 08:45 AM

It wasn't too long ago that a significant portion of this forum were talking about how washed up Alfie is, and then he rattled off a zillion points in about two minutes and everybody shut the f*ck up. 

And then they switched over to Franzen...until last night.

Now Weiss...ugh.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#23 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,337 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 08:48 AM

It wasn't too long ago that a significant portion of this forum were talking about how washed up Alfie is, and then he rattled off a zillion points in about two minutes and everybody shut the f*ck up. 

Now Weiss...ugh.

Look at the bright side...Karma might just kick in, and Weiss will rack up several points in the next few games.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#24 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,762 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 09:11 AM

Tonight was not a good night for him, but I think much of the rest of this season has been better than what most on this forum will tell you (in fact, up until maybe two games ago, I thought he consistently played better than Alfredson).  He has a good skill set and he is versatile.  He just needs to get a little more comfortable in the Winged Wheel and develop some chemistry with a couple of guys.

This all the way.   To spark him just have him center Dats and Z for a game or two haha.  But seriously

....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#25 RyanBarnes!

RyanBarnes!

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,858 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 09:22 AM

Weiss has been allright. He is on pace for a 20 goal season.
"Joey (Kocur) has no fear" -Lyndon Byers
"Empty-net goals are for homos" -Al Iafrate

#26 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 09:32 AM

I had stated it in another topic but Weiss has admitted that he's not used to playing structured hockey especially one as structured as Babcock's. It relies heavily not only play with the puck but also thinking without the puck. When you go from playing free style basic hockey to a structured system that requires you to be thinking 24/7 you aren't thinking directly about scoring goals. You're making sure you're in the right spots and playing the system that others are counting on you playing. Once he gets more comfortable with the system you'll see how much of a player he really is.

I'll agree with the others that stated that his board play is much higher than Filps. He's a good ol Canadian boy. He will cut into the dirty hard spots in the middle and force his way into it. He'll go play hard in the corners and work for the puck. Sometime you wouldn't see from Filp all the time.

Pavel Datsyuk - "Pasha" - #13
"Got no fun if you got no puck"
'"I like ladies" - Towards the Lady Byng trophy
"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

I'm Don Cherry and Danny DeKeyser is my Kadri.

#27 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,611 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 09:49 AM

Agreed.

Unlike Fil - Weiss looks comfortable along the boards, and going to the net...The best part is that Weiss also seems capable of shooting the puck...It's only several games in - the points will come when he, and his revolving door linemates settle down.

I hope he gets better too but let's be honest he hasn't been good on the boards mainly because he loses the Puck before he even gets there. it hasn't been a revolving door he has played with the same players since training camp except the For Abby.

Now Weiss...ugh.

Wasn't roasting the guy the whole point of the post was to find out if anybody has seen him play better, take a deep breath buddy.

"He usually shows up when the game is over and tries to be the hero. Puts his cape on and goes and flies out there." ~ Franzen 

#28 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,741 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 09:56 AM

I hope he gets better too but let's be honest he hasn't been good on the boards mainly because he loses the Puck before he even gets there. it hasn't been a revolving door he has played with the same players since training camp except the For Abby.

Wasn't roasting the guy the whole point of the post was to find out if anybody has seen him play better, take a deep breath buddy.

Thanks for the advice, I don't know how I'd be able to discuss hockey calmly without your patronizing asides.  Also, if you're going to claim you're not "roasting the guy" perhaps you shouldn't describe him as "slow", "terrified", and "more like Robert Lang than Filppula".

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

#29 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,611 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 10:14 AM

Thanks for the advice, I don't know how I'd be able to discuss hockey calmly without your patronizing asides.  Also, if you're going to claim you're not "roasting the guy" perhaps you shouldn't describe him as "slow", "terrified", and "more like Robert Lang than Filppula".

why don't you read the post again, I said that's the way he looks. whether he's better down the road remains to be seen. And also stating facts isn't roasting the guy, he hasn't looked good. Nobody is patronizing you I just generally recommend you calm down everybody was discussing hockey calmly and you come in with expletives.

Edited by wings87, 18 October 2013 - 11:21 AM.

"He usually shows up when the game is over and tries to be the hero. Puts his cape on and goes and flies out there." ~ Franzen 

#30 StormJH1

StormJH1

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 10:49 AM

I've been reasonably happy with Weiss so far.  He's made some big plays, including the OT winner (garbage goal clean-up or not).

Comparing him to Filppula isn't really the most effective means of evaluating him as a player, but given that he is literally Flip's replacement and they got similar contracts, it's inevitable.  Filppula would disappear for games on end.  I think Weiss is a better goals-per-game scorer than Filppula, but if you're expecting him to blossom into a 30 G/40 A player simply because of a change of scenery, that's just completely ignorant of his decade-long track record.  

#31 martinezsvsu

martinezsvsu

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 01:00 PM

i thought hes played well so far, he looks good out there. stats are not everything people..

#32 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,741 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 01:01 PM

why don't you read the post again, I said that's the way he looks. whether he's better down the road remains to be seen. And also stating facts isn't roasting the guy, he hasn't looked good. Nobody is patronizing you I just generally recommend you calm down everybody was discussing hockey calmly and you come in with expletives.

I've got anger issues, everybody knows that.  It's why I self-censor my own curse words on these threads.  Yet, nothing will make me turn into the Hulk quicker than some reactionary fan claiming a guy on our team is "slow", "terrified", or like "Robert Lang" and then immediately backpedaling once called on it. 

If you had only said that he hasn't looked as good as you'd like, we wouldn't be discussing this.  You went above and beyond that when describing him the way you did.  To use your words, you "roasted him".  And now you're trying to worm your way out from under it. 

It's nothing personal, or unique.  You're just another in a long line of posters on these forums who makes up ridiculous b.s. to get under people's skins and then backpedals when called on it in order to be argumentative.  It's actually pretty stale by now, but foolishly I still can't help involving myself.

#33 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,351 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 01:04 PM

I'm starting the kronwall is terrible thread. I mean it's like he wasn't even playing last game.
I'm a Red Wing for the next three years and I'm going to make sure every team we play knows that.'' -- Jordin Tootoo

#34 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,550 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 01:21 PM

Please discuss the thread topic and the content of a person's post, not the person making it.

#35 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,337 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 01:27 PM

I've got anger issues, everybody knows that. 

Why you're not one of us 'knuckle draggers' who love a good scrap is beyond me ;)

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#36 Lonewuhf

Lonewuhf

Rookie

• Pip
  • 198 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 02:30 PM

I've got anger issues, everybody knows that.  It's why I self-censor my own curse words on these threads.  Yet, nothing will make me turn into the Hulk quicker than some reactionary fan claiming a guy on our team is "slow", "terrified", or like "Robert Lang" and then immediately backpedaling once called on it. 

If you had only said that he hasn't looked as good as you'd like, we wouldn't be discussing this.  You went above and beyond that when describing him the way you did.  To use your words, you "roasted him".  And now you're trying to worm your way out from under it. 

It's nothing personal, or unique.  You're just another in a long line of posters on these forums who makes up ridiculous b.s. to get under people's skins and then backpedals when called on it in order to be argumentative.  It's actually pretty stale by now, but foolishly I still can't help involving myself.

He didn't say anything that wasn't true. Weiss has looked overall pretty bad this season. He has been slow, he has looked terrified. You denying all of that then insulting him because he said it is much worse than anything he said in his post.

#37 wingedominance13

wingedominance13

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 02:48 PM

He was injured almost all of last year. He has played zone his entire career and we are gonna destroy on the forums because he looks a step slow playing the wings man defensive system is his first ten games. Ha.

#38 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,741 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 03:43 PM

Why you're not one of us 'knuckle draggers' who love a good scrap is beyond me ;)

I don't like to see boxers play hockey and I don't like to see hockey players box.  I have nothing against violence in principle, or in sport, I just don't see what's to be gained from doing it in hockey. 

#39 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,804 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 03:54 PM

I don't like to see boxers play hockey and I don't like to see hockey players box.  I have nothing against violence in principle, or in sport, I just don't see what's to be gained from doing it in hockey. 

It's called entertainment.

#40 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,611 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 04:09 PM

Back peddling? I've said he looks terrible and I stand by it. If you think he has been great you are as delusional as your post suggests. I also said that I never got a chance to watch him in Florida and asked if I should expect him to be better, and you blew it completely out of proportion. Ridiculous bs? Seriously? The guy hasn't stayed on the boards for more then a few second at a time in eight games. It seems the the only one that I have gotten under the skin of is you, which should tell you something. Maybe it's cause you declared yourself god of letsgowings forum and have a problem with anyone who doesn't share in your opinion. Anyway this post has gone completely off the rails which was not my intention or frankly my doing.