317 replies to this topic

#41 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,894 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 04:17 PM

It's called entertainment.

Quite so, and like all forms of entertainment, it's not for everyone.

I personally like it and consider it an integral part of the game and a valid strategy.  Others don't like it and consider it a distraction.

Entertainment has changed over the years.  In ancient Egypt they wrote on walls; now we have Facebook.  In ancient Rome they watched lions devour people; in Michigan we just hope they don't choke. 

Some say fighting is on its way out, but I hope I'm dead and gone by then.

So.... back to topic.....

I don't watch a lot of Panthers hockey.  Not even the dual allure of Kopecky and Samuelsson could make me do that.

I'm hoping that he'll adjust to our style, but as long as he's working hard, which seems to be the case, he should get it. 

#42 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 04:25 PM

So.... back to topic.....

I don't watch a lot of Panthers hockey.  Not even the dual allure of Kopecky and Samuelsson could make me do that.

I'm hoping that he'll adjust to our style, but as long as he's working hard, which seems to be the case, he should get it.
[/quote]
This is the type of answer I was looking for when topic was started. And to the posters that answered my question I appreciate it.

"He usually shows up when the game is over and tries to be the hero. Puts his cape on and goes and flies out there." ~ Franzen 

#43 Z and D for the C

Z and D for the C

This is the TBL forum, right?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,026 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 04:36 PM

Sorry for being a broken record, but how are people saying that Flip wasn't good on the boards? Not only was he always battling for the puck when it was on the boards, but he often won it.

Just cause you look like the gimp don't mean you play like the gimp!

#44 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,756 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 04:46 PM

Sorry for being a broken record, but how are people saying that Flip wasn't good on the boards? Not only was he always battling for the puck when it was on the boards, but he often won it.

He didn't seem to have that tenacity when being in a physical battle along the boards or really anywhere.

I think the biggest criticism against him is he plays far to much on the perimeter and shies away from physical exchanges.

Don't get me wrong, he's great at fetching and digging for the puck but once it starts to get physical he's not nearly as effective.

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#45 Z and D for the C

Z and D for the C

This is the TBL forum, right?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,026 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 05:23 PM

Don't get me wrong, he's great at fetching and digging for the puck but once it starts to get physical he's not nearly as effective.

What does it matter how physical it is if he ends up with the puck, which he usually does?

Just cause you look like the gimp don't mean you play like the gimp!

#46 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 05:23 PM

You're not being a broken record I liked Fil too I just thought it was time for a change.

"He usually shows up when the game is over and tries to be the hero. Puts his cape on and goes and flies out there." ~ Franzen 

#47 wingfan1991

wingfan1991

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,738 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 05:50 PM

This guy just doesn't bring it.. I don't think he will be any better at 40 games let alone playoffs. He's just too too soft for my liking... And he doesn't have any other skill that stands out, no hands, speed, forechecking etc... What's he good for??? Flip was better for me.

#48 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,059 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 06:11 PM

Flip was good for us. At times, very good. He just wasn't what we really needed him to be. The hope is that Weiss - who was very good as a Panther - can be That Guy.

That simple. IMHO.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#49 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,059 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 06:23 PM

This guy just doesn't bring it.. I don't think he will be any better at 40 games let alone playoffs. He's just too too soft for my liking... And he doesn't have any other skill that stands out, no hands, speed, forechecking etc... What's he good for??? Flip was better for me.

You're going on eight games. I and others have already brought up the adjustment angle - a decade in a completely different system, completely different team and organization and all that stuff. But, again, he was very good as a Panther. How many Panthers games have you caught over the past ten years or so? Because I've seen my fair share (I like them. Not exactly a fan, but I do like them. If that makes any sense), and I feel totally justified in saying Weiss was a great add. He just needs time. Almost any guy in his situation would.

Edited by Dabura, 18 October 2013 - 06:24 PM.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#50 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,756 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 06:38 PM

What does it matter how physical it is if he ends up with the puck, which he usually does?

Like I said he was known as a perimeter guy once he got the puck. Didn't have much ability to be physical and take it to the net. Weiss does. Give him time.
"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#51 Motown4013

Motown4013

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 06:59 PM

Hmm...interesting how different people see things from their own perspective. I for one thought that Weiss played his worst game last night but prior to that, he has been solid. Let's remember, it's not like we acquired Stamkos.....Weiss is a hard working second line centre. Maybe the expectations are a bit high?

He's playing a very different style of hockey on a very different hockey team. Its hard to adjust after spending 10 years on a team like Flordia. Until 2 games ago, he was playing with two stone cold pillars in Franzenfloat and Alfie/ Cleary.

To be honest I like the way he plays. He is effective on the back check, works grinder hard, effective along the boards and he hauls azz every shift. The scoring will come as he gets familiar with the system and his team mates. For the cap hit, he's a solid, heart guy with an offensive upside!

Think of it this way, he makes 1.9 million more than Sammeulsson! Anyone else thinks we got an amazing deal for a heck of a player now??? :)
Raising another Red Wings Fan!

The future looks bright in Hockeytown!
GUSTAV SNIPEQUIST!

#52 txhoo12

txhoo12

Draftee

• 12 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 07:02 PM

I think the biggest frustration people had with flip was that he was afraid to SHOOT THE PUCK. Weiss may not look as smooth as out there but if he can get us 20-25 goal seasons as opposed to the ~15 we got with flip, I call it an upgrade.

#53 wingfan1991

wingfan1991

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,738 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 03:29 PM

You're going on eight games.

Yes by those 8 games he looks no better than Emmerton. Let's hope he gets much much better as I imagined he was. 

#54 Internet.Unknown

Internet.Unknown

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 06:51 PM

As fans of Detroit, we've been blessed with a lot of gifted and above average centermen. Some of us oldsters remember Jimmy Carson playing on the 3rd line for the Wings and another time when Yzerman was centering a helicopter line: no wings, all centers playing out of position.

#55 ShanahanMan

ShanahanMan

DUUUUUUUUH

• Silver Booster
  • 5,652 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 10:52 PM

Another bad game for him.

Seemed to lose every puck battle and had tons of turnovers.

He actually looks a lot like Cleary out there.

I HATE JASON WILLIAMS

#56 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,912 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 10:53 PM

Honestly I've barely noticed him out there, good or bad, which is still disappointing.

#57 fat guy in a maltby jersey

fat guy in a maltby jersey

3rd Line Checker

• Restricted
  • PipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 10:54 PM

he's worthless.  5mil..for what?

#58 brett

brett

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,974 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 11:00 PM

im not seeing any improvements. its either him or his line mates. im getting worried

#59 wingfan1991

wingfan1991

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,738 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 08:38 AM

how was this guy ever compared to Yzerman.. Weisserman they used to call him for what, in what sense .. he plays ABSOLUTELY NOTHING like him. just a brutal signing

#60 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,059 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 09:16 AM

I like hating on the Wings as much as the next LGWer. But, terrible though he's been, Weiss simply needs more time. He missed most of last season due to surgery, and he's making a quantum leap from the Panthers to the Wings. And - the big thing for me - he doesn't look AT ALL like the guy he was in Florida, so I think it's pretty clear that he's uncomfortable.

I think we sort of take for granted how tough an adjustment it can be for a guy coming to the Wings from another NHL club. Most of the guys on this team, they've been playing Red Wings hockey with each other for some time now. Even Alfredsson, aside from being just an absurdly excellent hockey player, has the benefit of being able to lean on MacLean's system a bit, because there are a lot of similarities between his way and Babcock's way.

At least wait until Game 20 before you decide he's the worst player you've ever seen and that Filppula was a God among men for us. (Does no one remember how often Flip was completely invisible?)

Edited by Dabura, 24 October 2013 - 09:17 AM.

Don't Toews me, bro!