• Please log in to reply
317 replies to this topic

#101 Z and D for the C

Z and D for the C

This is the TBL forum, right?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,001 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 02:57 PM

Sample sizes are small at this point. Filppula isn't going to end up with the 75 points he is on pace for...nor is Weiss going to end up with the 14 points he is on pace for...things will normalize over the course of a long season.

So your logic is that Weiss is new to his team so his production will improve while Filppula, since he is new to his team, is producing at higher than normal levels?

If you have ever played higher level hockey you would understand going to a different team and learning the style of play is not always easy, you end up bringing bad habits from your previous team. Your comparing Flip who was here 7 years to Weiss who was here 11 games.

Why didn't Filppula need an adjustment period going to Tampa?

Just cause you look like the gimp don't mean you play like the gimp!

#102 Lonewuhf

Lonewuhf

Rookie

• Pip
  • 198 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 04:03 PM

These first 11 games are just as important as any other 11 games. Telling us to wait and see what Weiss does is incredibly bad for the team. We in all seriousness could be out of the playoffs solely because of the first 11 games.  Is it going to happen this year? Unlikely, but it could, and a lot of the blame would lie on Weiss. He needs to step up. I don't care how long he's been here. He needs to step up.

#103 RedWang

RedWang

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 04:32 PM

Ill make my final judgement on him after christmas. As of now obviously not impressed, but not nearly as ready to write him off as i am with Cleary, Franzen, Sammy. Ill give Weiss the benefit of the doubt here based on the transition.

But there is something to be said about how once guys leave (Hudler, Filpula) after playing on the team for a while theyre instantly producing more elsewhere. And guys who come in take time to get going. Does that mean the wings are better because our guys play such a high level, thus they shine elsewhere, or worse because they cant produce with what weve got? It could be either, neither or both.

#104 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,582 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 04:43 PM

These first 11 games are just as important as any other 11 games. Telling us to wait and see what Weiss does is incredibly bad for the team. We in all seriousness could be out of the playoffs solely because of the first 11 games.  Is it going to happen this year? Unlikely, but it could, and a lot of the blame would lie on Weiss. He needs to step up. I don't care how long he's been here. He needs to step up.

Overreact much? lol Sorry neither Weiss or any one player is responsible for our start/lacklustre offence.

But there is something to be said about how once guys leave (Hudler, Filpula) after playing on the team for a while theyre instantly producing more elsewhere. And guys who come in take time to get going. Does that mean the wings are better because our guys play such a high level, thus they shine elsewhere, or worse because they cant produce with what weve got? It could be either, neither or both.

I think it's a combination of adjusting to new systems/coaches/playing styles as well mental adversity and the pressure to perform. Sometimes people just need a fresh start.

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#105 Nyquistfan14

Nyquistfan14

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 04:47 PM

I just wanna see Stephen Weiss breakout. He is a good player just fighting it right now.

#106 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,348 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 04:57 PM

Why didn't Filppula need an adjustment period going to Tampa?

Because they didn't ask him to learn a completely different system.
I'm a Red Wing for the next three years and I'm going to make sure every team we play knows that.'' -- Jordin Tootoo

#107 wingslionstigers

wingslionstigers

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 05:20 PM

Oh Tampa Bay plays the same system as the Wings? Hm that's really weird..... One of us must be retarded because we are seeing two completely different things.

#108 greenrebellion

greenrebellion

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 05:31 PM

So your logic is that Weiss is new to his team so his production will improve while Filppula, since he is new to his team, is producing at higher than normal levels?

No my point was that lots of crazy things can happen with small samples that may have nothing to do with whether he is on a new team or not.  Players have hot and cold streaks, might be battling undisclosed injuries, might be unlucky, might be lucky, might be off his game....once the season is over, the point discrepancy won't be as wide as it projects to be today.

#109 PavelValerievichDatsyuk

PavelValerievichDatsyuk

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 05:37 PM

Oh Tampa Bay plays the same system as the Wings? Hm that's really weird..... One of us must be retarded because we are seeing two completely different things.

Really no need to use that word. It's really disrepectful to a lot of mentally handicapped people. If you're frustrated that someone doesn't agree with you, counter it with facts. I agree with Euro_Twins, but I can understand your viewpoint. You can respectfully disagree with someone.

#110 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 983 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 05:46 PM

What system is that?  Please explain the different "systems" that each team plays and what exactly is it that Weiss has to adjust to.  Did Alfredsson not have to adjust to a new system or does Ottawa play the same system or ??  I'm not following. 

#111 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 05:56 PM

I'll agree with you on the fact that he needs time to adjust, but he looks soft on the puck which has nothing to do with learning a system. I say move him to the wing with Z and see what he does in a couple games if no improvement you have to sit him. I'm not saying putting him on bench solves the problem but maybe it lights a fire under his ass and makes him fight for a spot instead of letting the pressure of signing a big contract swallow him. Or at least for my sanities I hope so.

"He usually shows up when the game is over and tries to be the hero. Puts his cape on and goes and flies out there." ~ Franzen 

#112 WingsAlways

WingsAlways

Grind Line 2.0

• PipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 07:27 PM

Filppula is an intelligent player, he's worked with Babcock and knows the Wing's system. The same can be said for Brunner (despite his short tenure with Detroit) & Hudler, Weiss however has been playing for the Panthers... Need I say more? 

What system is that?  Please explain the different "systems" that each team plays and what exactly is it that Weiss has to adjust to.  Did Alfredsson not have to adjust to a new system or does Ottawa play the same system or ??  I'm not following. 

Detroit is a puck possession team, and since the days of Bowman's "left wing lock" have never really been a dump & chase team.

Edited by WingsAlways, 26 October 2013 - 07:28 PM.

"Wow Chicago, you've won four Stanley Cups? Me too! - Kris Draper"

#113 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,240 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 07:34 PM

Whew, well at least he has heart and soul.  He's probably a warrior, too!  Who needs goals, when you got heart. 

Your sarcasm aside, if it's true he's a heart and soul guy, that means he's not the type to just give up. Ego, he will come around.

Never said anything about his lack of goal scoring.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#114 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 983 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 07:58 PM

Filppula is an intelligent player, he's worked with Babcock and knows the Wing's system. The same can be said for Brunner (despite his short tenure with Detroit) & Hudler, Weiss however has been playing for the Panthers... Need I say more? 

Detroit is a puck possession team, and since the days of Bowman's "left wing lock" have never really been a dump & chase team.

Detroit plays puck possession?  LOL

Your sarcasm aside, if it's true he's a heart and soul guy, that means he's not the type to just give up. Ego, he will come around.

Never said anything about his lack of goal scoring.

Anyone who has made it to the professional level probably isn't apt to "give up" over a few bad games. 

#115 Z and D for the C

Z and D for the C

This is the TBL forum, right?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,001 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 08:42 PM

I think if you're arguing that Filppula doesn't need time to adjust and Weiss does it simply boils down to Filppula being the better player.

Just cause you look like the gimp don't mean you play like the gimp!

#116 brett

brett

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 08:56 PM

weiss is centering his own line. sure his expectations are high since he was centering the first line in florida, but wings play a lot differently

fil couldnt center his own line, fil points mostly came with the help of dats, Z, or mule

id like to see what weiss could do with Z or dats

Edited by brett, 26 October 2013 - 08:59 PM.

#117 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 983 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 09:15 PM

We can't play every friggin forward with Datsyuk and Zetterberg.  Weiss was signed to be the second line center.  We don't need another unproductive winger paired with either of those guys. 

#118 martinezsvsu

martinezsvsu

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 09:16 PM

my only concern with weiss is he gets bumped off the puck easily. other than that its obvious that hes a really good player. he needs to develop some chemistry with his line mates.

#119 Dabura

Dabura

Cake Eater

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,057 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 09:27 PM

IF FILPPULA WAS ON THIS TEAM HE WOULD HAVE 20 GOALS BY NOW

HE WAS ALWAYS A BIG PRODUCER FOR US AND WHY WE LET HIM GO IS BEYOND ME

JUST LOOK AT HOW HE'S DOING IN TB - 30 GOALS ALREADY

WHEN HAS WEISS EVER PUT UP THE KIND OF NUMBERS FLIP HAS?

I REST MY CASE

Don't Toews me, bro!

#120 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 983 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 09:48 PM

IF FILPPULA WAS ON THIS TEAM HE WOULD HAVE 20 GOALS BY NOW

HE WAS ALWAYS A BIG PRODUCER FOR US AND WHY WE LET HIM GO IS BEYOND ME

JUST LOOK AT HOW HE'S DOING IN TB - 30 GOALS ALREADY

WHEN HAS WEISS EVER PUT UP THE KIND OF NUMBERS FLIP HAS?

I REST MY CASE

It's a nice attempt to create a distraction from the discussion at hand, but the bottom line is, Weiss was given a big contract to center a second line, to help produce more offense, to allow 13 and 40 to play together, and so far, he has performed well below expectations.