• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
RedWang

Brendan Smith

Rate this topic

I was really happy with Smith last night. Played a good game and showed some balls going up against someone who is, let's be honest, one of the very best in the league at what he does.

If anything, though, his performance made me that much more eager for him to get a look up front, when DD returns. Broken record, I know, but I really believe he could do a lot of damage on the forecheck with his speed, size, willingness to get his nose dirty, and high-end skillz. We could really use some "pop" up front. Then again, we could also really use it on the back end.

Either way, good on Smitty.

I liked how he actived from the blueline and took the puck down low, it was something we haven't seen a lot from our d-men in a long time. Not sure he would be anything special at forward, it could be an experiment I guess but if he can play like he did last night I like him at D.

Really the only thing lacking last night was the finish. He had a great scoring chance in the slot and passed instead. It wasn't a terrible idea and Weiss probably should have been ready for it, but when Brendan gets the confidence to shoot in those situations he'll start getting some goals.

I have been saying this for a long time. Brendan Smith should be the guy manning the point on the 2nd PP unit... not Kindl. Kindl is like a little kid when he gets the puck... he never knows what to do and then just ends up making a stupid play. Smith has the offensive instinct and the ability to get points. Babcock is making a huge mistake not playing Smith on the PP

After the way hes been playing, i think we all need to be patient.

Its hard to remember he hasn't played a full season yet, so his defensive lapses are to be expected.

But seriously.

He stood up in a big way last night, and his potential for offensive ability is awesome.

If our d wasn't depleted I'd be all on daburas idea to play him up front

But i am excited to see how good he can be, and i was really hard on him at the start of the season.

And I think Him and dd would be an awesome pairing, now and in the future.

Smith had some wheels yesterday. I was really impressed with his skating under pressure. A couple of times he lost a forechecker with a slick reverse and zig-zag move.

And at first I tgought he was playing forward because on an early shift he spent most of his time wheeling around in front of the net. I'll jump on the "Smith as a forward" band wagon. Babs won't do it because we need Smith to become a great defenseman and it might screw with his development.

I've been saying this for a while, Smith's biggest deficiency is his decision making. He turns the puck over...a lot. So, considering his biggest asset is his wheels, why not skate with the puck a minute to lose the forechecker before making the outlet pass? I actually think Kindl would be money ahead if he did the same thing.

Not everybody needs to do it the way Lidstrom or Rafalski did. It's about time some of these young guys were allowed to became their own players instead of trying to mold them into other guys. There were lots of good d-men over the years, with lots of different styles, most of them not named Nick Lidstrom. Maybe the development gurus in the Wings organization should give up trying to make Smith into Nick, and start trying to make him into Coffey (so to speak).

I've been saying this for a while, Smith's biggest deficiency is his decision making. He turns the puck over...a lot. So, considering his biggest asset is his wheels, why not skate with the puck a minute to lose the forechecker before making the outlet pass? I actually think Kindl would be money ahead if he did the same thing.

Not everybody needs to do it the way Lidstrom or Rafalski did. It's about time some of these young guys were allowed to became their own players instead of trying to mold them into other guys. There were lots of good d-men over the years, with lots of different styles, most of them not named Nick Lidstrom. Maybe the development gurus in the Wings organization should give up trying to make Smith into Nick, and start trying to make him into Coffey (so to speak).

I don't get the impression that we're trying to mold our young defensemen into little Lidstroms.

Edited by Dabura

I don't get the impression that we're trying to mold our young defensemen into little Lidstroms.

I think they are by the style they play. It's not like they work with these guys solo trying to make them more Lidstrom like, I just think that we are still playing the same type of game as we did when we had Lidstrom and Rafalski. There are two ways in which I see this the most. First, as kip noted, is that in our own zone they still push the quick pass instead of skating their way out of it. The other big place is the PP. We still run the Lidstrom/Holmstrom based PP even though neither are still here and there are not similar replacements for either role.

Personally, I think thats the problem with the team in general. We often don't play styles that maximize our players skills. Bringing this back to Smith specifically, thats why I have tried to be patient with him and his gaffes. (especially when paired with Quincey) I am hoping Babcock can be more flexible on his system and tweak it. I think our record is showing that its not quite working.

Smith on the PP is an interesting idea, he is more inclined to pinch in and keep the play going. Kindl seems to give up more SH chances due to poor shot choices that simply hit bodies and lead to breakaways.

Dekeyser being missing is a tough pill to swallow, but Smith has been doing well since he came back, deserves a shot at least.

Count me in as someone that thinks Smith should be on the 2nd PP unit.

Might as well start now. Smith has looked a lot better since coming back from injury yes.

Would be nice to have a little more scoring from the back end on our team.

Still rubbing my beard and saying patience with Smith...

No thanks, I wouldn't buy smith coffee

I mentioned this in the GDT, but I'll repeat it here. Maybe he finally is no longer gunshy after his suspension for several preseason games for hitting a Blackhawk who put his head down late. He has been much better recently.